Skyrim SE install blocked recognition of my GPU...

Hoamaii

Feel the pain, hey?.. :sweat: Frustration is how I'd put it, but frustration is a pain for sure!.. :wink:

Yeah, laptop, an Alienware 15 exactly which worked fine till now. (Fortunately, I also have a desktop, much older and stubbornly reliable and I'm not installing any new Bethesda game on the desktop till I figure out what went on with the laptop.)

Hmm... "risky hardware workaround", you say? How risky exactly?... (I also use that laptop for work, can't quite take too many risks with it...)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... "risky hardware workaround", you say? How risky exactly?... (I also use that laptop for work, can't quite take too many risks with it...)

That's a big no no.

so we won't touch anything here.

your in a tight spot and I for one do not want a failed attempt on my conscious. yes, I can fix it, but I can't risk your machine with the fix, I'm sorry.

A work PC...no. not going there.

Lol, fair enough...

if the games were not running at all, I might wanna risk it (after all, I can also work on the desktop) but my worst annoyance here is the damn launchers resetting everytime and my personal frustration for not understanding what the heck has happened here!..

I'll keep on trying to find a fix for this anyway, however long that may take - and will post it here if I find anything.

You've awaken my curiosity, though - may I ask what you had in mind?

In any case, kudos for your time and help, Purr4me - cheers from Paris! :smile:

Hoamaii

Edit: worst frustration actually is I downloaded Skyrim SE only to be able to install SE's Creation Kit and port my Skyrim mods to SE... but I'm very reluctant to install that CK before I fix anything now... Sigh.

A normal solution would be (don't hold me responsible) is remove the add on graphics card and boot on the main boards chip-sets, allow windows to fix the graphics issue, reset it's drivers..Alien-ware has an image drive to pull from, and run windows update for that boards updates.

set an store all settings at least once. reboot, verify and shut down.

reinstall the card and go back thru the procedure and now the game should detect the add on card.

you gave the word so there you have it. The draw back is windows might choke on hardware changes and cause even more headaches or maybe refuse to boot.

Risky, very risky.

I'd probably try that if it was a desktop - but last I opened that laptop, I noticed the nVidia GPU was very hard to reach and sort of "glued" to the motherboard, considering that in a laptop, built in CPU video card and discrete card (nVidia in this case) are supposed to process 3D rendering together, I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified enough to avoid doing more damage than good in this case...

Still been trying to find fix (almost) all day, reverting to previous nVidia drivers, comparing my Skyrim renderer logs from the desktop's (running fine) to the laptop's and realising that when the launcher fails to find the proper d3d9.dll, it'll generate one and revert to the integrated GPU even if the nVidia one works perfectly well... And once again, I'm left clueless... DirectX issue? Bios? Why should they suddenly start behaving crazy simply from installing a new game or updating a GPU driver?..

Argh...

I am going to help you out some more here.

1. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications
  2. Looking for the clean removal tool for this software.
  3. support suggests no 10 support. Your running (Win 7 Pro Service Pack 1 - 64 bits) ?
  4. A trick that might work.
  • clean removal, reboot, update system.
  • test from MS update drivers.
  • Fail ? remove again, allow defaults to kick in-test.
  • No-fail? test = results " what the launcher finds as default card in it's lists"
  1. download and install the (x86 / 32bit drivers) manually selected=force install for 32bit software resilience.
  2. reboot and test. Here, if this install, please check the display drivers detection app.
  3. Fail= 64bit download and test after registry cleaning and reboot. "I know you did this once already."
  4. If fail? change order of game init.
  5. SSE installed first and no (nVidia Ge Force GTX 980) software for this installed period. Clean default laptop drivers only.
  6. install /rerun older other games backwards.
  7. If you own fallout3 ? Or New Vegas? and you need it to run Fomm, so you can use Fomm's built in detection software explicitness for graphics detection's.
  8. (7) is the trick...if it detects what, tell me what? is it greyed out or not? is it there or not?

at this stage, being that the last piece of software installed should seat the graphics driver as a system device and override defaults.

This is an unseen avenue approach to trick the OS into preventing it's change by the games installer programs. Last software installed rules the system.

There are methods of the divine I know about that defies logic. To me, only road left judging this threads out come.

IF you have solved the issue, please let me know so I can move on.

kitty Black.

Hey Kitty,

Thank you SO much for your kind help, now I feel embarrassed for the time I'm taking you!..

I'm at a friend's right now so my rig's not with me - but one thing strikes me: last time I used C Cleaner to clean the registry and uninstall their GeForce experience app, I noticed that I could not find Java in the program list but did not really pay attention. I know their website requires Java to auto-detect your hardware but I picked drivers manually because I wanted to try rolling back to older ones - the one I rolled back to is 362.00 if I remember correctly,

Yep, I did used Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall nVidia's drivers and used it in Safe Mode - so when I rebooted, the nVidia card was no longer listed in the device manager and registry looked clean (did not check the Bios though). It then was detected normally by the new drivers installer which (as far as I could tell) installed properly. One thing I also noticed then in the nVidia updater log is that this laptop has their built-in "Optimus" tech, that's the app responsible for auto-switching from built-in GPU to discrete GPU when needed.

Haven't tried reinstalling built-in Intel graphic card's drivers yet, I know from experience that some OEM don't like that too much.

Anyway, I'll follow your suggestions as soon as I get back home (and check this Java thing!) and, of course, will let you know. A thousand thanks again, whether this works or not, I clearly owe you!..

Thanks again Kitty.

Not web site related ,in Real life, the amount of contacts I have "friends" begets many many kids. Of them on xmas shopping spree's I have bought so many computers of all types and reset each and every one before gift wrapping them, removing annoyances from MS so these kids have trouble free experiences, we talking each year as tech increased. you could buy a house or place a down-payment on one.

you do that and then some, you get to know all the quirks like I know how to cook and sing. The kids learning curve for bad things is eliminated...I suppose I am handicapping them in a way from removing specific things Microsoft does? but I don't need to worry. The parents mostly ask for this.

I can be cold as ice becasue I know. I can be very nice becasue I know. but knowing how kids do things, hide things from their parents? I can be a she devil. and I can out smart them in way's they can"t fathom.

best buy was a mad house Friday. sold out too. :devil: :cool: :laugh:

Edited by Purr4me