Skyrim SE install blocked recognition of my GPU...

Hoamaii

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again Kitty,

So that's how you know so much about fixing PC's, uh?.. Helping kids around you?.. I'm afraid I've not been a kid since a long, long time... :confused: (actually, no, I don't mind at all, I like being a grown-up, if not an adult... :wink: ) (some would even say I'm more "mature" than grown up in truth...) Ahem, been a long time since I have hidden anything from my parents other than the occasional flu which I won't tell my old mom so not to worry her... :ohdear:

I too like to remove specific things that Microsoft adds behind our backs, I do it all the time, and most of the time manage to find a work around - but obviously, not always. Not in this case anyway.

So, I tried almost everything you advised (without having to take my laptop apart... hehe):

- yep, Win 7 SP1 64 bits.

- clean removal (using DDU) of Nvidia installed drivers, reboot, clean registry, reboot, tried to install 32bit drivers for that card but failed because it does not support "hybrid" tech (I believe it's that Optimus tech which allows the system to switch from CPU to GPU when needed) - so I reinstalled drivers 362.00 from fresh, reboot - GPU came back in my device manager and it looked clean. Still the game launchers could not see it.

- you got me lost at "change order of game init" - how do I do that? By reinstalling the games?..

I tried a few other things anyway:

1. FOMM - yeah, I have FOMM installed on the laptop but I use it only to unpack bsa's, I tricked it into thinking I have FNV installed by simply renaming a copy of TESV.exe to Falloutnv.exe so I can unpack Skyrim's bsa's. I still have F03 on the desktop so I didn't need to install it here. I don't know if that makes a difference in the way FOMM can detect your GPU, but in Graphic Settings it didn't detect anything and the "graphic adapter" line is greyed out.

2. I went back to Alienware website and let it auto-detect my rig (after reinstalling Java), then ran their system check tool (no error detected), then ran their GPU online test - it detected both cards (Intel + nV) and tested them in turns with bits of games - the results matched what I experience in game when I force the games to launch with nVidia, 60 FPS min.

3. I then used another GPU test online (on Reddit I think) - which also properly detected my GPU, here are the results it showed: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2165720

While doing all this, I was also running CPUID to monitor fans and temperature - and noticed at least one difference: yesterday, CPUID could not see my nVidia card, today it can (so I guess reinstalling drivers for the 4th time made a bit of a difference...)

Then, and that's where I get lost again, I launched Steam, went online, and if you go to help > system information, Steam will also check your system online - and Steam does detect the nVidia card (not the integrated one) - but if I then go back to either one of my 3 Steam games (Skyrim, FO4, SSE) and click play, then again it will only detect the integrated card... :wacko:

I guess I better call it a night for now and come back to it with a fresher mind some other night... :sweat:

A thousand thanks again for your wonderful patience and help - but please, feel free to tell me off anytime!..

Goodnight (or is it good day where you are?) for now.

Hoamaii

I'm afraid I've not been a kid since a long, long time

you are , just older and wiser. Big kid ! :laugh:

- you got me lost at "change order of game init" - how do I do that? By reinstalling the games?.

ok, this is not hard to understand..on going updates, this fall under that, for every game comes new software, compatibility software, new drivers, software that overwrites older software's...Like the launchers. The graphics direct x versions and things. IF you install the latest stuff? you find your self here, right now with a problem , the reason is becasue the game installed stuff newer than the older stuff and "IT" is now running the show. IT has president.

Older games files that used some of the same named Direct x files got over written, same goes for the display drivers, Visual basics. and it is not meant for those older games. Direct x 9c, 10, 11, 12 which is 10 only and still inactive, but "that software is there any way.

Windows is an office program, never forget that. Consoles are game machines, there's a difference.

I still have F03 on the desktop so I didn't need to install it here. I don't know if that makes a difference in the way FOMM can detect your GPU, but in Graphic Settings it didn't detect anything and the "graphic adapter" line is greyed out.

ok, that's bad, that means the data you need is not installed yet. Fomm can not see the true new hard ware or it may but has the wrong software or it's just not there yet.

While doing all this, I was also running CPUID to monitor fans and temperature - and noticed at least one difference: yesterday, CPUID could not see my nVidia card, today it can (so I guess reinstalling drivers for the 4th time made a bit of a difference...)

Reinforced statements made.

-------------------

I have dealt with many Hybrid setups before , it can be daunting

you need the drivers from the imaged drive on that lap top, not the updated drives from where ever. This is done in safe mode only, removal and install from image drive you have.

reboot and reset to default boot and reboot again. DO not install any other drivers until you establish Foll detection on Fo3 first for get the new games for now.

If fomm see's the card? so will CPUD, there are two programs you have to help determine whats going on.

Steam..ok steam is like it's own world and it shares hardware drivers for it's "OS" as it is an OS for Valve.

I get notified when you post here so I'll wait for you. :laugh:

you can try running the steam cache verify-er backwards from SSE to SE to NV and then Fo3 in that order with out touching verifying the display drivers until done.

But----fomm showing a greyed out windows means the software is not installed, the fact it can see something means it sees hardware.

Gosh, I really gotta get some sleep (past 4 a.m. here)...

BUT... I couldn't help double checking FOMM on my desktop where I have F03 installed and not FNV. There again, I tricked FOMM to load Skyrim's .esp's and bsa's by renaming a mere copy of tesv.exe into Falloutnv.exe - and if I click on Game Settings after loading FO3's files (which indeed are in my PC), it does detect my GPU (desktop has an old nVidia GTX 660), but like on the laptop, I also get the GPU greyed out when I load my fake FNV (which is in fact Skyrim). So I guess it's normal that it doesn't show either on the laptop since I neither have neither FNV nor F03 on it.

Verified cache - yeah, I did that at least a dozen times for all 3 games (though I hate doing it for Skyrim 'cause it messes up my Scripts folder and I have to reinstall SKSE every time...

you are , just older and wiser. Big kid ! :laugh:

Does it show that bad?... :ermm: (that I'm a big old kid, I mean... but wiser? I'm not so sure...)

Yep, I understand now what you mean when you say "reset to default boot" and that older files get overwritten by new installs, it's just that I'm not much very at ease in Safe Mode, never used it much until now...

You know what? I had few "quiet" days where I thought I was going to be able to have fun modding again and maybe porting some of my Skyrim mods to SSE... but instead, I spent that whole time struggling with that stupid launchers/GPU issue!.. Sigh... (well, with Skyrim I can always get around it by using SKSE's launcher).

Only positive note of that whole wasted time is that I stumbled into you... You're really great and incredibly patient - I sure wish I could return your help in some ways... Care for some French cheese, maybe?..

G'night!..

So I guess it's normal that it doesn't show either on the laptop since I neither have neither FNV nor F03 on it.

the reason is this: you have to have the real deal, because the real deal creates config files in C:\users|username\game name folders. this is where the data gets stored for graphics settings. IF that config file is not there, the game was not installed.

You force change the executable to trick Fomm, you can't fool The OS or the functions when it looks for those other files.

I lover fallout 3, it's my favorite game...build a mod to blow my mind, that's how you repay me. accomplish something worth hanging your hat on.

Your most welcome

Kitty Black

Hello, I followed your link from my post. I was thankful to see that one person out of the 69 people who viewed it are actually aware of and attempting to fix the issues with the "using an external monitor with a laptop" problem.
A few things should be noted here.

-I can't get into my BIOS for any reason, because the laptop screen is shattered and it won't allow me to use the HDMI connected TV until Windows has

launched.
-I have tried all of the .ini file tweaks, disabling GeForce Experience, Using Nvidia Inspector, etc... that people have recommended. If I have attempted

something suggested I will let you know.
-I am running a native 1366 x 768 Resoluion
-If I disable my onboard Intel GPU, I get zero display, and from what I understand this indicated that I have Optimus or an equivalent.

SYSTEM SPECS (More than enough):
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.60GHz 58 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MS-1792 (SOCKET 0) 63 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
D32h-C0 (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (MSI)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (MSI) 49 °C
ForceWare version: 375.95
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA) 46 °C

Post your laptop model number and serial number

Tomorrow I'm going to go over to the Computer Warehouse Surplus Store see if I can locate your laptop

I'm able to locate your laptop with a good display I'll "PM" you were request of your email address and your home address and ship the unit to you

I am just that way that will solve a lot of problems

KittyBlack

MSI Apache Pro GE72-2QE
Why would the individual serial number be relevant? The screen is going to be compatible with every single "GE72-2QE" on the planet, despite individual serials.
This is the exact display that comes in the Laptop:

"17.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, Chi Mei N173HGE-E11, TN LED, Full HD, glossy: no"

Edited by Naecrotik

Why would the individual serial number be relevant?

Product line includes display parts used.

on the bottom of the unit there is a bar code, if you own a smart phone and have the bar code application installed, please scan the tag and it should give you the items code. with that information, I can find an exact replacement part.

but I''l google what you provided...they are not all the same.