[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

I see, this information makes reloading animations I've seen in other pistol mods make more sense and even the vanilla deliverer reload animations. I learned something new today, I've just always seen the support hand lever release method. I wonder than, if the power hand thumb method is quicker than the slingshot release method and is useable with Glocks why use the slingshot release method instead?

And on a side note since watching the video he brought up what's recommended with the M1911, so I'm wondering, for your M1911 couldn't you just use the deliverer animations and recommend using FiddlerGreens Deliverer Reanimation Replacer, since it already features support hand lever release? Albeit you'd also have the John Wick style running and being close to cover objects animations.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you're used to doing (for whatever reason) is always going to be faster and more reliable, is my guess. Muscle memory. I've also read that some people have trouble with dropping the slide lock with their thumb, maybe due to the size of their hands vs the design of the pistol in question, or the slide lock being very stiff and needing to be broken in over time, or whatever else.

Beyond all that you're asking the wrong person, really; I don't have any practical experience with this sort of thing. As I've said before, I'm just an Australian computer nerd. ;) There aren't a lot of guns around here.

For the M1911 animations, I'm going to need to do new/adapted sets for the vertical foregrip and also the knife-in-left-hand (if I go ahead with that), on top of potentially editing the base set too if the grip and other touch points aren't quite right. I can't really just drop in any existing animation set and be done with it - but I already have access to Hitman's Glock set and it's likely to be a closer fit starting out.

What antistar said regarding using the slide lock or slingshot release is accurate. It really comes down to what you're used to doing when reloading. Personally, I use the slide, or bolt, release rather than pulling the slide or charging handle. Different people use different things. Of course I have a new rifle that doesn't lock the bolt to the rear after the last round so I'll have to get used to slingshotting the bolt using the charging handle.

One benefit to using the slide release on either a pistol or rifle is that you can keep the gun pointed at the target during the reload which is always a good thing in a combat situation.

Yeah if I were to do the reload animation from scratch myself I'd probably go for hitting the slide lock rather than slingshotting it. I'm fine with Hitman's Glock reload too though; it's snappy but still nice and smooth.

As a minor update with the M1911; I've just been doing modelling so far. The (Cutts) compensator and muzzle brake respectively are done, as are the vertical foregrip and magazines. There's a standard 7 round mag, 10 round extended mag and 25 round super-extended mag.

Right now I'm working on the longslide... slide. It's probably the most complex part I'll need to model for this. Being based on the AMT Hardballer Longslide, it's not just "a regular slide, but longer"; it has a somewhat different design. The high-poly is mostly done and then I'll need to optimise the low-poly and unwrap it.

There's still a few parts to model after that; the shoulder stock, sight mount, tac-light and (potentially) another suppressor being the main ones.

Very true point with reloading in the way you're most used to, I thought I may as well suggest FGs deliverer animations since I know how much of a nuisance making new animations can be, as well as since support hand slide release was recommended in the video, come to think of it my hands are probably too small to operate the slide release of an HK Mk23 and my thumbs aren't strong enough to operate that either, either way I'm sure the animations will turn out great.

And I'm just a Canadian (if I really want to call myself one) geeky girl who loves..anything geeky lol (; .

It would be interesting to see how you'd implement left handed knife wielding into the game if you do, and hopefully with compatibility with various knives, I use the Special Forces Knife mod since it's like the only one I actually like.

Bludmarine brought up a good point I completely forgot about altogether, reloading while maintaining target acquisition, likely a big reason militaries use the support hand slide release method since maintaining your target acquisition could mean the difference between life and death for a soldier, kind of moot in Fallout though since reloading forces you out of looking down the sights.

Glad to hear there's going to be standard 7 round magazines for your M1911 also, found it really annoying most M1911 mods feature 8 round mags, I know why they do it it just doesn't make sense unless you're reloading with a single round in the chamber each and every time, it breaks immersion and realism for me.

Well as far as I know, 8rd 1911 magazines are a fairly common feature on many of the more modern versions of the gun,

so in most cases, unless they're on a world-wars-era 1911, they seem sensical/reasonable to me (unless I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying there).

(Though ofc., the 1911 for WARS, is a classic world-wars-era one.)

Edited by Tenurialrope3

Well as far as I know, 8rd 1911 magazines are a fairly common feature on many of the more modern versions of the gun,

so in most cases, unless they're on a world-wars-era 1911, they seem sensical/reasonable to me (unless I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying there).

Â

I know a lot of the modern custom ones do like kimbers and etc. But yeah I meant more the classic world war era ones I've seen, despite being few and far between, I had to edit dooms m1911 one for use with the M1911 A1 mod by Shiro I think.

An interview with me just went up on Bethesda.net today, for anyone interested. It's about a lot of my previous mods, but also touches on WARS and PEACE stuff. Here's the first half:

- Monthly Modder: Antistar

And here's the rest of the interview since it ended up being over their normal article length, in the forum thread version of the comments (since the comments at the bottom of the article itself put the answers in reverse order):

- Monthly Modder: Antistar: Uncut

It would be interesting to see how you'd implement left handed knife wielding into the game if you do, and hopefully with compatibility with various knives, I use the Special Forces Knife mod since it's like the only one I actually like.

It would most likely be the bayonets already in WARS, so the M2 (the vanilla combat knife), M7 and the L3A1.

The author of the M1911 resource I'm using paid a lot of attention to detail, so it's definitely based on very early M1911 mags.

The fact they they have interviewed you gives me hope that the next major fallout release might take into account some of the issues with the systems in the game regarding animations and weapon functionality. They always seem to pull a lot from modding in their previous releases. My super uber pipe dream hope is that they will reimagine their survival difficulty or mode to be more functionally similar to WARS in regards to health values and the like. Probably a bit of stretch to make such hopeful statements this far out, but I can only hope that this sort of thing is taken into account even for perhaps it's own specific difficulty mode.