[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Lots of nice weapon mods have been popping up on nexus lately, Noniacs M1928A1, Hypers Giat Famas, Fallout Londons Luger P08, Winchester 1892 etc. Hopefully many more weapons get brought into Fallout 4, I'm about to try out Nadies M60.

Nice to hear the M1911 is coming along well, on a side note any chance for a standalone so I can try to break..I mean hem..test it out (;

I don't like sitting on all this stuff I've put so much work into (while waiting for the AmmoTweaks update), so we'll see.

Like I've said before though, the plugin side of things has to be substantially redone for a standalone release of a weapon - since the vanilla setup for weapons is so different to WARS - so it kind of depends on if I suffer an excess of free time at some point. ;)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't imagine it to be a..pleasant experience having to wait this long on your efforts, you're very patient Antistar, hopefully the wait will be worth it, you're still in contact with Isathar right?

Well I suppose we'll see if you "suffer" any excess of free time than lol, how are things going over there?

Yes, I just heard from isathar overnight, actually.

Things here in Australia (with the pandemic) are much better than in many parts of the world, but there's a very concerning surge in cases going on in Melbourne at the moment, along with a smaller one in Sydney. Hopefully they can contain it.

With the M1911, I did find some things to fix up before exporting for Substance Painter - and also decided to whip up some glow sights (based on this Trijicon model) - but I'm working on the bakes now so I can texture everything.

Well it's good to hear you're still in contact with Isathar, means they not died from Covid, little Covid joke, unless they in the States, then it's no joke at all.

Also good to hear things in Australia are pretty good, unfortunate to here about Melbourne and Sydney though, is it selfish imbecilic morons causing the surge or just a really bad hand delt by chance?

Ooo nice sights, always liked tritium sights on pistols, I'm guessing the picture is really close because the forward sight looks gargantuan in the picture lol.

I think the current wave in Melbourne started among security guards enforcing the quarantine in a quarantine hotel, and funnily enough there was some more news on that just yesterday. So it sounds like it was probably due to some mismanagement there.

I think things really took off a bit later when the virus got into some public housing apartment towers. Lots of people in close proximity, with some shared facilities (like laundries), plus a lot of residents not having English as their first language. It sounded like authorities maybe didn't do a great job at getting information on the pandemic to the people there in all the different languages they speak.

Well yeah the front sight in that picture is just sitting right next to the rear sight - but I believe the dot on the front sight is a bit bigger than on the rear sight so that it's easier to see down at the muzzle end.

Mismanagement is always the issue, whether it's stupid ignorant selfish asshats who are inconsiderate of others or poor handling from points of authority, least it's not quite like here, only reason we haven't completely shut down here is because of money..and of course ignorant jerks who don't want to listen on something they should.

I can actually see your point there for the front sight dot, would likely also make things a little easier to line up your shot, plus tritium sights aren't exactly standard issue for most pistols yet still to my knowledge, and certainly not for the M1911, so the tritium could be any sizing for whatever you're trying to achieve in your customization. From a gaming aspect a bigger front sight would likely alleviate some of the "double distance" perspective, being the distance from your eyes to the TV/monitor screen and then from there to the simulated distance of the front sight, personally found the Deliverers front sight next to useless.

Hey Antistar I was wondering if you had any plans for unique weapon variants? Honestly would love to have a version of the guns you add with just a slightly customized skin. Finding them adds a ton of flavor to the game experience and I think it would be really fun. Also I kinda like the idea of having a rare variant of a gun be the only version of that gun chambered in a particular caliber of ammunition. Mayhaps you could do that for a weapon that can technically be chambered that way in real life but is not that way commonly. Also I was wondering how many guns in the game will be able to have multiple caliber conversions. I imagine the more varied weapon platforms like the AR-15 will have multiple options. Personally I would prefer if the more powerful caliber conversions were exclusive to rarer or completely unique variations of the gun to give those more flavor. Your thoughts?

I can actually see your point there for the front sight dot, would likely also make things a little easier to line up your shot, plus tritium sights aren't exactly standard issue for most pistols yet still to my knowledge, and certainly not for the M1911, so the tritium could be any sizing for whatever you're trying to achieve in your customization. From a gaming aspect a bigger front sight would likely alleviate some of the "double distance" perspective, being the distance from your eyes to the TV/monitor screen and then from there to the simulated distance of the front sight, personally found the Deliverers front sight next to useless.

Yeah, and on top of that, looking at a thing that's physically in front of us is different to looking at a simulated 3D representation of that thing on a flat monitor/TV screen, so some sights that are supposed to look more like the first image here when you look down them are... not going to look like that in a game, generally speaking. I don't know, some games are better about it than others - but FO4 isn't really one of them.

Hey Antistar I was wondering if you had any plans for unique weapon variants? Honestly would love to have a version of the guns you add with just a slightly customized skin. Finding them adds a ton of flavor to the game experience and I think it would be really fun. Also I kinda like the idea of having a rare variant of a gun be the only version of that gun chambered in a particular caliber of ammunition. Mayhaps you could do that for a weapon that can technically be chambered that way in real life but is not that way commonly. Also I was wondering how many guns in the game will be able to have multiple caliber conversions. I imagine the more varied weapon platforms like the AR-15 will have multiple options. Personally I would prefer if the more powerful caliber conversions were exclusive to rarer or completely unique variations of the gun to give those more flavor. Your thoughts?

In WARS I've already got some named weapons, but in the same way as the vanilla game; a weapon with a defined Legendary effect and unique name, usually always found in the same hand-placed spot. I do like the idea of custom skins for unique weapons, but it's an awful lot of work, and would balloon the file-size of this already quite large mod out like crazy. So just due to those practical concerns, it's a lower priority for me.

I'm probably not going to do something like that with the calibre conversions, sorry. I've said before that I don't want to add a bunch of new, relatively exotic calibres just because a particular weapon can be found in that calibre in the real world. (Because you're right; AR-15s are available in a whole lot of different calibres.) Only if it's something that would be really weird to not be in there, like 9x19mm.

I also don't like the idea of a calibre being limited to a unique variant of a weapon, because... why only that one specific weapon, practically speaking? I also lean more towards things being available as customisation options that the player gets to choose themselves; i.e. weapon mods, basically. It's probably what I'm best known for, after all. ;)

Off the top of my head, the weapons I'm planning to have multiple calibres available for are:

- Glock: 9x19mm, .45 ACP, 10mm Auto

- M1911: .45 ACP, 10mm Auto

- Mini-14: 5.56x45mm, 7.62x39mm

- Skorpion vz.61: .32 ACP, .380 ACP, 9x19mm

- Walther PPK: .32 ACP, .380 ACP

I haven't totally nailed down what I'll be doing with the Pipe weapons on that front yet. I may do things like have the semi/auto Pipe guns be available in 7.62x39mm (among other calibres) mainly so that super mutants can use them that way, since they won't be using the "Assault Rifle" anymore. (Animation issues due to it being replaced with the AR-15.)

Kind of like the situation with peep sights in games right Antistar lol.

I personally find the front sight on larger end pistols to not be so bad in games, like Icestorms HK Mark 23 or en7evens 1911s, it's the smaller ones that kind of lose out for that.

Wait you're doing a Walther PPK?! In accurate chambering?! Any pictures? (:

Ah. I suppose I just like the idea of having unique things out in the world to discover considering how sparse the more unique content in Fallout 4 is compared to previous Fallout titles. Just looking at the list of quests in Fallout 4 that aren't generic radiant fetch and kill quests made me a little sad at how small it was.

Perhaps you if time allows later on, you could have rarer or unique versions of certain guns maybe made of a durable material or something idk. Maybe just some trumped up bullshit lore behind them so that they don't have to be repaired as often and someone who is a fan of the mod could as skins for them or something. I miss having those All-American/A Light Shining in the Darkness excitement moments. I simply suggested Caliber as it is the most straightforward and simple way I could think of to make the weapon more unique.

I was wondering how varied the modification on weapons dropping in the world will be. If the weapons are only going to be dropping with more base modifications you could add pre modified version into the game which is what I imagine you are likely doing already. Also how much work would it be to make custom legendary effects just those unique weapons. Maybe Legendary effects that combine 2 of them together to make something a little more unique or even just pumping up the values a bit to have them stand out and be noteworthy would be really cool.

Really wish some mod authors would add one or two more towns/quest hubs in the more sparsely populated areas of the map just to fill out the base Fallout 4 experience a bit more because the stuff that is good in the game is done pretty well.

It really kinda drives me crazy that there is such a strong framework with Fallout 4 but with some generally lackluster execution. I am really hoping there will be a strong modding scene behind Fallout Cascadia when it releases in probably 1 and half years at the earliest. I would love to do a base playthrough of a more fleshed out RPG experience in this engine and then have the opportunity to experience that again with your work on this ported over by some enthusiastic fans.

BTW I have literally all of the time in the world right now as I am out of work and locked up in my home so if there is anything that isn't a priority for you to get done that you think a beginner modder could figure out with some level of perseverance I would be willing to look in to toying around with it. (I.E. some spicier versions of unique weapons legendary effects.)