[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Wow coincidence on you likely putting a lightning bolt in place of the colt horse and me thinking you were going to say something like that lol.

The colt M1911 governments featured such branding but they weren't traditional U.S Army standard issue, the series 70 government model featured that too if my memory is serving me right, there's so many models it's difficult to keep track of lol.

I forgot when the R700 was made lol (facepalm), oh right after checking 1962, so more Vietnam time frame..if not for the M14, I'll check this one out though, because bolt actions lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a small update:

The standard animation set for the M1911 is finished (including third person anims), and I'm working on the vertical foregrip animations now. After that will be the off-hand knife animation set.

Something I didn't notice (or think much of at the time, I should say) with the standard anim set is that the right hand idle position (inherited from Hitman's Glock set) is out quite far from the body. Far enough that when I went to do the vertical foregrip set... the left hand couldn't reach the foregrip. I've had to pull the right hand in closer to the body/camera for the vertical foregrip set, which is working fine, but means it's taking a little more work to do. I've already done the reload and equip anims for it though, so that's the two most involved ones done, at least.

I also recently did the thing all FO4 weapon mod authors dread; sight alignment.

Hmmm, I think someone released something on the Nexus to help mod developers with doing sight alignment but I can't remember what it was called, was considering trying it out so I could fix the sight alignment on the Modern Firearms SPAS 12 when it's set for pump action.

Nice to here the M1911's coming along well.

Oh yeah, that sight alignment helper thing. So far I haven't used it because my process for working out the sight offsets involves taking screenshots and bringing them into Photoshop where I can zoom in, use a grid overlay, rulers, etc to compare my offsets and get it close to pixel-perfect - and that helper doesn't really... help with that side of things. It may make it easier initially to get it in the general ball-park though, so I may give it a go sometime.

The M1911 vertical foregrip animations are done now, though I noticed a weird issue with the first-person power armour anims. The left hand isn't on the foregrip like it should be; it's more like it's still supporting the right hand - kind of, but not exactly, like the standard anims. That's the weird part; power armour first-person weapon anims use a combination of dedicated power armour animations and the regular first-person animations - and the regular animations are correct while out of power armour. I've never seen them be different while in power armour, but that's what I'm seeing now.

It's bizarre. It's not that it's using the standard M1911 animation set while in power armour; the left hand position is different to both the standard set and the vertical foregrip set. My best guess so far is that it's something specific to pistol animations in power armour (this being the first pistol I've animated for FO4); like maybe there's some undecoded animation file somewhere that I don't know about that's blending with my animations, or something. I've got a bit more testing to do on it, but so far I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's not a huge deal - weapons of relatively realistic size all tend to swim around in the massive robotic power armour hands anyway - but it would be nice if the left hand gripped the foregrip while in power armour.

I see, than I wonder if it would even help me out with the Modern Firearms SPAS 12 pump actions sight alignment, the MF team kind of botched this one, when looking down the sights you don't actually look down the sights it's more like you're hip firing, I tried fixing it with the xyz camera offsets and visually I managed to fix it, but the sight alignment isn't zeroed to the center of the screen.

In all honesty Antistar, using a pistol with power armour isn't very immersive..or realistic anyways (; (;

Using a pistol in FO4 power armour always makes me think of the scene in The Hurt Locker when Jeremy Renner's character is wearing a bomb disposal suit and pulls a pistol on a suspicious guy that drives up to him. ;)

M1911 progress update: I'm working on the off-hand-knife animation set; just finished the all-important melee attack for it. I should be able to show a video of it before too long now.

Were those bomb disposal suits in The Hurt Locker really Power Armour big lol, at this point I don't remember.

Ooo nicely done, looking forward to watching the video, still remember your Thompson video lol ;)

This comment ended up being a double post, so I edited it to say so, I don't know how to delete it lol. Edited by Shanzyboo

Oof, it is too; four years, wow. WARS has definitely been Unforeseen Circumstances: The Project. Hopefully it does turn out well in the end, yeah. ;)

Anyway, things have been busy, but I'm about to record some video and take some screenshots of the completed M1911, so they should be up later today or tomorrow.