[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

The animations for the M1911 are done finally, so here's a video showing them off:

- M1911 animations 01

Here are some more screenshots too:

- M1911 15

- M1911 16

- M1911 17

- M1911 18

- M1911 19

I still need to do the "make the weapon actually show up in-game" stuff - the levelled lists and whatnot - but that's the M1911 just about done now.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing work. I've been following this since you started the topic and it's astonishing to see the quality control level you put in all of this - especially the research you do on vintage weapon mods which make the new weapons more believable given Fallout setting. The anims look great, not overly tacticool to look out of place but fluid enough to look believable. I don't think I'll control myself the day we'll see the overhaul released, even though I know it will take me hours of work to get it to play alongside Horizon nicely, a mod which I think is essential nowadays for proper game balance.

Overlooking the project as a whole, the only thing i'd complain would be the lack of a dedicated machine gun, I understand your choice to replace 'assault rifle' (bleh) with an AR-15 but then we lose out what was practically a pseudo machine gun (its even called that in the game's files.) However I'm sure a patch for the M60 mods out there wont be too much work.

Also I've a minor question, did you do something about the turrets using parts of vanilla gun models? one thing I think would look really neat, would be a jury rigged turret (the rusty ones) with a AR-15 port firing weapon (I forgot the designation.)

By what I can see in the pictures and in the video this could easily be the best option for the standard issue U.S army M1911 and the police/government issue variant, nicely done Antistar.

I opened up the first image featuring reloading the U.S army standard issue and those textures are fantastic, this is how the U.S army standard issue should look..and of course I saw the rampaging colt logo on the left side of the slide.

In the image with looking down all the sights it looks like you got it's width accurate to the point, and it's got a firing pin ;)

I got to agree with MysteriousStranger on the animations, the dramatic Hollywood "tacticool" animations drive me up a wall and actually aren't very TACTICAL. These animations are straightforward and to the point, slingshot slide release, hammer "hammers" the firing pin when firing and turning on the safety when holstering is a really nice touch. I want to shoot gunners and raiders in the head with these.

Could you maybe take another screenshot of the U.S army standard issue from the side while aiming? It's a little difficult for me to see the length in the first image.

Amazing work. I've been following this since you started the topic and it's astonishing to see the quality control level you put in all of this - especially the research you do on vintage weapon mods which make the new weapons more believable given Fallout setting. The anims look great, not overly tacticool to look out of place but fluid enough to look believable. I don't think I'll control myself the day we'll see the overhaul released, even though I know it will take me hours of work to get it to play alongside Horizon nicely, a mod which I think is essential nowadays for proper game balance.

Overlooking the project as a whole, the only thing i'd complain would be the lack of a dedicated machine gun, I understand your choice to replace 'assault rifle' (bleh) with an AR-15 but then we lose out what was practically a pseudo machine gun (its even called that in the game's files.) However I'm sure a patch for the M60 mods out there wont be too much work.

Also I've a minor question, did you do something about the turrets using parts of vanilla gun models? one thing I think would look really neat, would be a jury rigged turret (the rusty ones) with a AR-15 port firing weapon (I forgot the designation.)

Thanks. :smile:

Yeah, I'll be supporting one of the M60 mods via patch - unless someone beats me to it. Depends on how the timing works out there.

The only makeshift turret that would need editing to match the WARS assets is the shotgun one. (The others are the Missile Launcher and Laser turrets.) I haven't edited the shotgun turret assets so far, but I've made a note to have a look at possibly changing it for the USAS-12.

An AR-15 port firing weapon kind of turret would be cool, but isn't really necessary since I've already got those "non-makeshift" turrets using 5.56x45mm (among other calibres).

By what I can see in the pictures and in the video this could easily be the best option for the standard issue U.S army M1911 and the police/government issue variant, nicely done Antistar.

I opened up the first image featuring reloading the U.S army standard issue and those textures are fantastic, this is how the U.S army standard issue should look..and of course I saw the rampaging colt logo on the left side of the slide.

In the image with looking down all the sights it looks like you got it's width accurate to the point, and it's got a firing pin :wink:

I got to agree with MysteriousStranger on the animations, the dramatic Hollywood "tacticool" animations drive me up a wall and actually aren't very TACTICAL. These animations are straightforward and to the point, slingshot slide release, hammer "hammers" the firing pin when firing and turning on the safety when holstering is a really nice touch. I want to shoot gunners and raiders in the head with these.

Could you maybe take another screenshot of the U.S army standard issue from the side while aiming? It's a little difficult for me to see the length in the first image.

Thanks - yeah, I'm liking how it's all coming together. I did a fair bit of research to try to get the animations right.

You can see the standard M1911 in profile in the video and some of the other screenshots I've posted of it, but if you mean like a still image with it in-hand so you can get a better idea of the scale, I can probably do that. Let me know, I guess. :smile:

Hi guys there is this post that came up not too a ago and I was wondering if this is the way you guys are replacing all of the guns or are you doing differently? I mean know this is a massive replacement and all but I thought it was the same basic idea/ way of doing it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/articles/2379/

It's not quite the same, no. That guide is about taking an existing mod that adds a new weapon and editing its weapon record to instead override a vanilla weapon record. It's more of an after-the-fact thing, whereas WARS is built and designed from the ground up to replace some weapons, add new ones, overhaul a whole bunch of stuff, etc.

Some of what's in that guide will resemble some of what will be in the tutorial covering how to make a WARS support patch for an existing new-weapon mod, though.

Yes there's exactly what I meant, in better words too. The first image I couldn't totally get a full idea of its scale, givin the angles and being in mid reload and we only got to see that one in first person in the video.

Added bonus you'll get to drive me even more cray cray with how much I already want to use this pistol lol ;)

Looks like it will be the best 1911 mod (/ included in a mod) for all Fo4, fantastic. Not much else to say on it.

I do have a question on animations, for all the weapons (that use new animations) in the mod:

Yours and Hitman's vids showcasing the animations don't spend much time standing still or against walls/barriers (fair enough),

so I can't really see what the idle and "weapon-lowered" (i.e. when stood against a wall, also used by weapon-lowered-when-out-of-combat mods (like https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6364)) animations are like.

Do the idles and weapon-lowered anims have that mild movement or subtle "breathing" to them that the vanilla weapons and (usually in my opinion) better animated mod weapons have,

or are they completely still/stiff/"frozen" with no movement at all (the short times the idles are (or seem to be) seen in the vids look like they do have some movement, but I can't fully tell)

or have movement/breathing that also exhibits an odd shake/trembling, both of which can be variously seen (unfortunately) in many of the custom-animated mod weapons.

The idle and weapon-lowered animations being off/"bad" (i.e. still, or shaky) has been a dealbreaker for me with many of the otherwise great weapon mods, so I'm really hoping that they are good in WARS.

(I'm pretty sure the Thompson mod as released by you does have good (i.e. not still/"frozen", not shaky/trembling) idle & weapon-lowered animations (though I can't open the game right now to check).

So the question in shorter form would be: do the other weapon animation sets in WARS have at least the same quality of idle and weapon-lowered animations?)

Edited by Tenurialrope3

Yes there's exactly what I meant, in better words too. The first image I couldn't totally get a full idea of its scale, givin the angles and being in mid reload and we only got to see that one in first person in the video.

Added bonus you'll get to drive me even more cray cray with how much I already want to use this pistol lol :wink:

Alright, I hope this shows it clearly enough:

- M1911 20

(I only cut the bottom off there because the rest of the pistol is obscured by the hands anyway.)

Look like it will be the best 1911 mod (/ included in a mod) for all Fo4, fantastic. Not much else to say on it.

I do have a question on animations, for all the weapons (that use new animations) in the mod:

Yours and Hitman's vids showcasing the animations don't spend much time standing still or against walls/barriers (fair enough),

so I can't really see what the idle and "weapon-lowered" (i.e. when stood against a wall, also used by weapon-lowered-when-out-of-combat mods (like https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6364)) animations are like.

Do the idles and weapon-lowered anims have that mild movement or subtle "breathing" to them that the vanilla weapons and (usually in my opinion) better animated mod weapons have,

or are they completely still/stiff/"frozen" with no movement at all (the short times the idles are (or seem to be) seen in the vids look like they do have some movement, but I can't fully tell)

or have movement/breathing that also exhibits an odd shake/trembling, both of which can be variously seen (unfortunately) in many of the custom-animated mod weapons.

The idle and weapon-lowered animations being off/"bad" (i.e. still, or shaky) has been a dealbreaker for me with many of the otherwise great weapon mods, so I'm really hoping that they are good in WARS.

(I'm pretty sure the Thompson mod as released by you does have good (i.e. not still/"frozen", not shaky/trembling) idle & weapon-lowered animations (though I can't open the game right now to check).

So the question in shorter form would be: do the other weapon animation sets in WARS have at least the same quality of idle and weapon-lowered animations?)

Thanks. :)

I know that all the weapons I've had a hand in animating have that kind of subtle breathing idle for Ready, Sighted and GunDown. I'm almost certain that all the weapons have proper IdleReady animations too, but I'm not sure about the IdleSighted and IdleGunDown animations; it hasn't occurred to me to specifically go through and check all of them for that.

It is possible that some might have the completely stiff lack of animation that you mention for those idles. I do know that the Glock does, since I noticed that while working on the M1911 animations. Since I've already got the Glock anims imported/converted/etc for the sake of those M1911 animations though, it should be trivial for me to add some movement to the Sighted and GunDown Glock idles. I'll probably go do that now, actually.

I think I know the kind of jittering you mean, and it happens when the hand bones (i.e. the palms) are set to use Inverse Kinematics (IK) rather than Forward Kinematics (FK), but the hands aren't currently moving around. (For example in a subtle "breathing" idle when the hands are usually staying perfectly still.) IK is great - virtually essential, really - for animating hands because you basically just move the hand/palm where you want it to be and the rest of the arm follows; but for some reason it can't handle being left perfectly still and instead the hand jitters around slightly. You need to switch back to FK for animations where the hands aren't being moved.

Anyway, I don't think there's any of that in WARS; I'm pretty sure Ha_ru, Hitman and War Daddy all know about the IK jitter thing. It'd only be in there if we all both forgot about it for some animation or other and didn't notice it all this time.

That's encouraging to hear (read).

Yes, from what I remember from the publicly released animations of the guys that have contributed to WARS, they have all have been pretty good on their idle animations

(though I'm less sure on the weapon-lowered anims. And, I feel bad about saying this, but, I think a few (~1-2) of Ha_ru's animation sets have had (slightly) stuffed up idles (my apologies to him if he reads this)).

Just to clarify (this is probably going to read like I'm an important voice, while I am just one petty mod user):

My biggest concern on this part of the animation sets is the IdleReady (that is the "standing still w/ weapon out & not aiming" animation yes?),

that one being bad has far too many times broken my desire to use/keep a mod weapon that uses it (so if some are off in this mod I do really hope that they either get fixed or I'll be able to overlook them after playing).

The GunDown/weapon-lowered animation being poor I have often been able to get past (though not happily) if the mod weapon is otherwise good quality & well-implemented.

The aiming animation being stiff/"frozen" generally doesn't bother me (for a number of reasons) (though it is still nice if that one does have some subtle movement), I wasn't even thinking of that one when I brought this up.

Edited by Tenurialrope3

Yes, IdleReady is for when standing still and not aiming down sights. Personally I think those idles in WARS are all fine. I guess the only one I'm not sure about is the "inspect" idle War Daddy did for the Thompson. The animation itself is great, but if you're just standing still it does play too often, since it's simply one of five IdleReady anims the game plays at random. For TSR I put up an optional download that disables the inspect idle though, and it should work with WARS itself too since it's just a straight replacer.

After your post yesterday I went and had a look at the idle animations for most of the weapons with new animations in WARS (I'm realising now that I forgot a couple), and I noticed that Hitman's anim sets generally all have stock-still IdleGunDown and IdleSighted animations. They get blended with other animations when you look around though, so you basically have to be standing perfectly still (and aiming or with the gun down) and specifically looking for a lack of animation to notice that, I think.

Still, if I get time I might go through and give them some subtle movement? It's a low priority though.