• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

xylo9

xylo9

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Hi, I installed NMM to use it with Skyrim and it is asking for directory paths for:
- Mod directory
- Install Info

I suppose those are folders it will use and not connected to the game's location? This is because the paths it is suggesting are strange. I installed Skyrim in "L:/Program Files", and it is suggesting "L:/Games/Skyrim" which does not exist.

So, important question (and a necessary clarification to be added to that dialog): What are those folders exactly? Does it have to be the place where I installed the game? If not, why are they not inside the NMM install folder somewhere or an NMM data folder, instead of some "Games" folder with no reference to NMM in the path? (I could easily forget that "L:/Games/Skyrim" has something to do with NMM).

Thanks for a quick response while I wait to continue the install.

riftwynde

riftwynde

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I suggest you look at this video which explains the installation clearly:

xylo9

xylo9

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for that video. I understand those folders are actually work folders for NMM itself, and nothing to do with the locations of the actual games. That video actually makes it even more confusing, since at 5:05 of the video, that version (an older one, I suppose) of NMM is actually suggesting to have its work folders inside what seems to be the game installation folder.

I suggest that:
1) NMM should place its work folder (which will include all the mods of all the games it's managing) in its own install folder by default. For example: "C:/Program Files/NMM/Game Mods"
2) On NMM's first run, the user should be informed of this location, and be allowed to modify it, stating clearly that this *one* folder is where NMM will place all mods it manages.
3) When the user selects a specific game such as Skyrim, NMM should just create the needed folder underneath its "Game Mods" folder, for example: ".../NMM/Game Mods/Skyrim", where the mods would go, and ".../NMM/Game Mods/Skyrim/Install Info", a subfolder for the install info. The user should not be asked where to create the folder for Skyrim specifically.
4) There should be an option to move the location of the "Game Mods" folder from inside NMM, in which case all data will be moved automatically to the new location.

Otherwise this looks like a pretty solid program which works fine! I have had no problems with it for now. A big thanks to the devs for making modding so much easier!

acearcade

acearcade

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Sigh. Another important question left unanswered; 

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,097 posts

"Mods" is where NMM stores all the downloaded mod archives, mod cache, mod profiles, categories and readme files.

"Install Info" is where NMM stores the mod installation log for the current game.

darklongest

darklongest

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

"Mods" is where NMM stores all the downloaded mod archives, mod cache, mod profiles, categories and readme files.

"Install Info" is where NMM stores the mod installation log for the current game.

Thanks, it is working.

Note: Choose the "C:/Blackbox" folder for lower choosing button of 2 choosing buttons.

Balkadeer

Balkadeer

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Can I just get my old one back?

This one doesn't want to work...

Zorruka

Zorruka

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
What I did is went to C drive to check for Games Folder.
There wasn't one for me so i created one. Open its properties-> security->Edit -> add -> type in login name(check name) then click ok-> in permissions for authenticated users, select full control-> apply->ok

When nmm needs to make a file route to next time, everything goes to Games

ChaosKiller12

ChaosKiller12

Stranger

• Premium Member
  • 4 posts

Yes. Hi. I have download it. But when I try to create a path to Nexus mods for Skyrim special Edition its says that I don't have the Writeable Permission for the path. How do I fix that.

HeyYou

HeyYou

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,256 posts

Yes. Hi. I have download it. But when I try to create a path to Nexus mods for Skyrim special Edition its says that I don't have the Writeable Permission for the path. How do I fix that.

Where are you trying to put it?

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.022 seconds