NMM profile system is broken?

Mikandil

I had over 100 mods installed on my main character, which I haven’t been playing in months. I decided to come back to FO 4 but give a Survival a go with a new character. So I created it and started installing mods (about week ago) and after installing about 50 mods and (testing do I like those, keep those etc.) I decided to change back to my original char (which I had from game launch), and to my horror I noticed that all the mods installed on that char were gone! And what was left was those same mods (about 50) that I installed for my new character. I tried to correct the issue by starting to install those mods which I used on my first char back only to notice that NMM installed those same to my second character too!

So every time I make changes to either one of my profiles – are those changes applied to other one too! They are treated as one and the same! Which has totally ruined my saves and keeps on doing that. Top of that I’ve now encountered the mystical FO4 keeps crashing on start-up even without any mods. After doing some research that issue is because there are some leftover mods still installed. No wonder, because NMM shows that some mods are activated (example many of the over 100 mods I had on my main save without showing on that or any other profile) but still aren’t.

How did this happen, and the more important question, how do I fix this??? It is seriously 100% game breaking.

If you're using an older version of NMM unfortunately their "profile" system was not a true profile system in the sense that Mod Organizer had. To be honest I have no idea what its purpose was. The new open beta NMM is supposed to have true profiles but I haven't yet tested that personally. The new open beta NMM is being developed by the same person that worked on Mod Organizer and therefore features some of the best features of MO such as true profiles associated with save games and a virtual file system, but it's still kinda buggy early stages.

Unfortunately unless you can find untouched backups of plugins.txt or your nmm load order txt files I don't think there really isn't anything you can do to recover both original profiles. You can check those backup files at this location: %LocalAppData%/Fallout4 just type that into your file explorer and it'll take you right to your plugins and nmm backup files.

Thanks for reply. I have NMM version 0.63.9 version installed. So this is normal? When I watched Gophers Video tutorial (posted 2015) it works fine, so did mine once. I have no idea what broke my NMM profile system totally.

I changed to my vanilla profile, only 3 mods installed, NMM changed it so I have now there too same amount of mods installed than others.

I try to uninstall all mods, remove all profiles and start from the beginning...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. Profiles are NOT saving their own disable / enable settings as they used to, so any time I switch characters I have to go through and manually enable / disable a crap-ton of mods manually, making the profile system completely useless.

If they're working on a new version, or something, it'd be nice to at least get a response, even if it's just, "tough s#*!, it's broken, deal with it."

It'd be nice to know if it's an issue with NMM, or if something went wrong with the update. It said something about needing to fully reinstall every mod or something to transfer it over to whatever new system the latest version uses, but I didn't really understand it, and I don't think it worked correctly when it tried to do it automatically.

Open beta NMM is pretty much a hot mess right now. I've struggled to use it on a Skyrim SE game. I'm about to start a new Fallout game and I'm seriously considering going back to manually installing everything even though it's a pain in the rear end.

Open beta NMM is pretty much a hot mess right now. I've struggled to use it on a Skyrim SE game. I'm about to start a new Fallout game and I'm seriously considering going back to manually installing everything even though it's a pain in the rear end.

That's what I do. NMM is a broken, unusable mess. MO still works great, but, with Tannin42 jumping his own ship, I've taken a life preserver and jumped off the sinking ship. So, manual install is the only choice.

Edited by NCRForever

MO2 works fabulously if the only thing you're doing is playing the game. But if you're trying to work on mod development as well, using external tools like the CK and xEdit through MO2 is just way too unstable.

Agreed. But, I had no real issues with it. A few crashes here and there. But, nothing major. The way things are going here at the Nexus, with different things, I quit modding. I had planned on uploading the newest version of the mod I took over from TheScout201, after I completely rebuilt it. But, that's not going to happen now.

Well you've had better luck than I have then. Every. Single. Time. I used xEdit from within MO it crashed on exit. It seriously never one single time closed without crashing. Opening CK from within MO, it would consistently crash on startup 3-5 times before successfully opening. Both programs appeared to work regardless of the start/close crashes. For example, I cleaned my bridge mods a couple weeks ago in prep for uploading updates. Since I have a clean OS reinstall as of this past week, I don't currently have a FO4 save game setup or even a mod manager installed. So I'm just doing manual installs of stuff to do mod work this weekend and I checked the bridge mods to make sure the exit on crash after cleaning them previously didn't mess things up. It appears that the crashing usually happens after the file saves at least because they were clean and not corrupted. *shrugs*