Riften CPU bottleneck

gran172

Hey, so Riften is known to make FPS drop, using MSI AB i've noticed it's CPU bound, not GPU. So, is there any fix for this? I used "disable" in the console to make every NPC disappear and surprise, solid 60fps again, so it's pretty obvious what the problem is then...but im not sure if anybody has posted some kind of fix on Nexus though.

Technically, due to it's 64bit framework, SE is more CPU intensive than its Oldrim counterpart, which has histrically been largely more GPU taxing than CPU. This is what you're experiencing in SSE. This should be optimized in later patches, and video driver updates. I know NVIDIA has been on top of this and made aware, not so sure about other card drivers, I don't follow them.

It's either some weird CPU bottleneck or a problem with the engine, i'm not sure if it's common, i've heard Oldrim also had big framerate drops on Riften but i'm not sure since i haven't tried it on PC.

I doubt GPU drivers will make a difference since i'm getting about 70% load when in Riften and i've heard others getting the same issue too. (by the way, how do you know Nvidia has been on top of this?)

So i'm guessing noone has made a mod/patch /workaroundto reduce CPU load on Riften somehow?

I think this is mostly a problem with the engine. I have frame drops to the low 30 near Rifton, with a cpu and gpu utilization of around 40 - 60%. I think it’s because the engine can’t handle all the objects around you.

There is a similar issue with Fallout 4. Placing a lot of items around you causes the framerate to go low. I don’t know if this can be fixed. Maybe with some load balancing, I don’t know…

Most likely, my CPU isn't exactly maxed out (around 80% load on Riften), but i tried removing 3 or 4 NPCs from Riften and the framedrops were totally gone, go ahead and try it. It's most likely a problem with the engine not being able to load so much, like you said.

Can definetely be fixed by removing NPCs if you don't mind that, but i'm sure there has to be some other workaround.