Force Settlement Quests To Ally With Them/Bug Fix

NeuroticPixels

I've come across quite the bug.

I've been unable to ally with the following settlements: Nordhagen Beach, Oberland Station, and County Crossing. Preston nor Radio Freedom will give me any quests related to these areas so that I'm able to ally with them and use their workshops. Just a few other radiant quests to save settlers from kidnappers, etc, and it seems I get quests for Tenpines Bluff more than anything. Ugh.

After scouring Google about this issue, it seems a lot of others have had the same issue. Several theories like if you don't ally with all the settlements before level 50, you're out of luck... all saying this has been happening since patch 1.5.

I'm aware that I could use the console to "setownership" of the workshop, but that comes with a lot of issues/bugs. And I know that I could simply slaughter all of the current settlers at those locations to obtain ownership. But I'd really rather do neither. Nordhagen Beach has a child settler, for goodness sake!

Anyway, I'm hoping it would be possible to create a holotape or something that would allow you to select quests to force. For instance, a "Kidnapping at Oberland Station" radiant quest so that I'd be able to complete it and become an ally to the settlement.

Or even just a bug fix???

Thanks for checking out my mod request. If anyone has any insight to this problem or has had this problem themselves and would also be interested in a fix, please leave a comment.

• 1 year later...

Two years later, but necro on your post as I seem to be having a similar though not identical issue... See, I'm on my Nuka-World raider game and I can't do Oberland Station. I hadn't bothered with The First Step like at all, so now that I want to take over Oberland Station for the raiders, well I can't. So, I finished First Step except... I can't because Garvey won't talk to me to finish it. So I used the console to finish it. Worked great, it's finished an I have control of Oberland Station for the Minutemen, however... it's still locked for the raiders.

It took me about half a year to figure out what the problem was.

It was mods.

Or, a single mod.

Any mods that stop or change settlement attacks will hinder you in obtaining settlements. Settlement attacks have to be able to start whenever they want in order for random events to occur to start the quests you need.

I got rid of NSA - No Settlement Attacks (I think that was the mod), started a fresh game, and had zero issues. (I had had the same issue over and over again over several different save games with that mod installed.)

I also got rid of an addon that altered how often Preston gave out radiant quests and such. I've heard those kind of mods can cause bugs with settlements as well. I'd recommend doing the same, if you have any.

I hope this helps!!

Edited by amber1019

It depends on how those outcomes are implemented.

If it is by hacking base game scripts and objects then yes it can impact quests. If settlement attacks and radiants are managed by scripting exposed dependency free properties, as my SKK Workshop ownership & Attacks mod does, then there will be zero impact.

Mixing base game hackery as with elegantly scripted solutions as "any mods" is rather unreasonable.

Zero impact? Is that why your mod's "user notes" and "known issues" take up almost the entire description page?

The user notes sound a heck of a lot like "this mod will only work if you follow these steps" which doesn't make it very elegant in my book. Plus, scripts can have their downsides and cause their own issues, too. They're not the godsend you are trying to make them out to be.

I appreciate you giving AbsolutGrndZer0 another option if they are in fact interested and/or using mods like that, but the way you went about it seemed extremely pompous. No need to get defensive when I didn't even know your mod existed.