Clarification on combined meshes, cell reset etc.

Thicketford

I want to create a mod for myself that removes trash and rubble piles from Red Rocket and also add a few other items such as window shutters, posters etc. I've searched a lot of threads, but I can't find any definitive answers on the subject of pre-combined meshes and the cell reset bug. So I was hoping someone could answer a few questions. Assuming this is the only mod I have that edits an exterior cell...

• Has the cell reset bug been confirmed to have been fixed?
  • Is it necessary to generate new pre-combined meshes and pre vis?
  • What will happen if I don't generate them?

I have seen reports that pre-combined meshes will be disabled only for affected cells, but I have seen others that report pre-combined meshes are disabled for the entire world space.

Edited by Thicketford

The cell reset bug was fixed in like April/May timeframe. As for the second and third parts, I have no idea and I've held off on my own Sanctuary/Red Rocket personal cleanup mods because I haven't felt like figuring out those answers. :(

I have seen reports that pre-combined meshes will be disabled only for affected cells, but I have seen others that report pre-combined meshes are disabled for the entire world space.

Pre-combined meshes are only disabled for the edited cells. The reports of the entire worlds Pre-combined meshes being disabled are false.

• Is it necessary to generate new pre-combined meshes and pre vis?
  • What will happen if I don't generate them?

1. No it is not necessary to re-generate Pre-Combined and Pre-Vis.

2. Nothing!

You may see a little performance drop but, I don't think it will be much of an issue. My mod Beantown Interiors disables Pre-combined meshes in a lot of cells, I don't re-generate them or the Pre-Vis because of the size increase it would mean, which would affect the XB1 players the most. I don't see any issues with my mod maybe at worst i loose 1 or two FPS is some cells.

When ever you edit any form that is included in a cells Pre-Combined meshes Pre-Combined for that cell is auto disabled. I won't get into the tech or reason why at this point but even nudging a rockin a cell will disable Pre-Combined meshes in that cell.

The Pre-Combimed system is a pain the A** and I don't think it really brings much to the party when it comes to optimization outside of downtown Boston.

Therefore I don't worry about it much and my mod still preformes well on both PC and XB1.

One point: If your mod edits something in a Pre-combined mesh (disabling them as chucksteel mentioned), and you have another mod loaded after yours that affects that cell and doesn't disable precombined meshes, the edits won't show. This would be the case whether or not you remade the precombineds and previs, unfortunately, you just need to recommend people be careful with their load order. Scrap mods, clean-up mods, and ones that make significant edits (like chucksteel's Beantown Interiors) usually disable precombineds and would be safe to load after your mod. Your mod should be fine being loaded after any other mod without causing problems, unless the other mod tries to mess with the same things yours does (in which case yours going after will overwrite the other mod's edits, so your mod would still be fine).

I always precombine, and generate previs data. I have a mod that removes trash, shrubs, and what not from every settlement in the game. I also have modified the Red Rocket station, and removed the pump arms. My mod has zero bugs, and it because I precombine, and generate visibility. Sure the mod size is large... Roughly 700MB, but between the PC, and Xbox My mod has been downloaded over 90k times. Don't let file size force you to settle for creating a dirty mod.

Not generating Pre-Combined meshes does not make a dirty mod.

My mod has a few bug and I bet your does too! None of them come from not having Pre-Combined and Pre-Vis regenerated. Sure file size doesn't matter and with new Pre-Combined and Pre-Vis my mod would be roughly 2.5GB, But, who cares right? And my mod has been downloaded over 180k times on PC, XB1 and PC.

Don't believe not regenerating Pre-Combined and Pre-Vis means a Dirty Mod!