Gamebryo Engine - Debate

AdamRundolf001

Basic memory management is handled by the O/S, yes. But, the application itself is what is making requests. If the application 'forgets' it has reserved blocks, the O/S won't clear them until the application is closed. Hence, memory leaks.

The game also decides what it keeps in memory and what it doesn't.

Basic memory management is handled by the O/S, yes. But, the application itself is what is making requests. If the application 'forgets' it has reserved blocks, the O/S won't clear them until the application is closed. Hence, memory leaks.

Wow, validation! I will take the little victory.

Use a second monitor to watch the memory use, I've done it several times, memory leaks are not an issue.

Use a second monitor to watch the memory use, I've done it several times, memory leaks are not an issue.

I tire of this. Just dump memory at the start of play and again after a couple hours of play, then look at the memory allocation blocks. Note the unreferenced blocks which were not present when play started.

Edited by PoorlyAged

I can agree that most engines suffer from certain malfunctions, but obviously Gamebryo/Creation is one of the worst engines today. FO4 is broken real bad, game has no optimization for what visuals it presents. Putting Skyrim SE on x64 rails only (maybe) reduced crashes, but visually it basically the same as it was, how can it be step anywhere at all? I don't see any progression here, and my only guess is that Beth doesn't wanna change engine, because it's too expensive and crew will have to learn working with new software, and even if it's much better, it will stall most of their projects. They rather release games on old broken re-branded engine, and let customers deal with issues, as they always have.

For reference GTA V engines are almost perfect, game only suffers from insignificant memleak issue, and it only occurs during multiple data reloading, though it's not the only good open-world engine out there. As for the "living" TES/FO worlds, can't say it's very lively to me at least, same ol' routines happening over and over again, plus coding can be done much more resource efficiently than the way it's done.

Constantly having lots of gamebreaking issues across 6! different games released by Beth on it doesn't really play in "bad coders" argument, by that time, they should have learned to solve at least half the issues, but every time things get even worse, what's to blame here if not the engine? It is obviously technically disabled soft.