CK Quest won't start

shadowfox999

Hi, anyone tried do quest with StartGameEnabled flag? It just doesn't work. Quest won't start on game load. Tried even bethesda example http://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Bethesda_Tutorial_Papyrus_Hello_World. No errors, warrings, logs, nothing. Script was compiled correctly. Any ideas?

I am struggling on my own mod with the same thing.. i.e: quest is setup correctly. Yet won't start when the esp installed into an existing save game. I also have generated the SEQ file.. and still no luck.

In your case, you have the SEQ file generated? If not that hopefully will fix your problem.

creationkit.exe -GenerateSEQ:MyMod.esp on command line then place the resulting file generated in route SkyrimSE directory into /Data/SEQ

or.. you can use SSEDIT to generate from the context menu option, it puts it into the right place straight away.

Hi, anyone tried do quest with StartGameEnabled flag? It just doesn't work. Quest won't start on game load. Tried even bethesda example http://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Bethesda_Tutorial_Papyrus_Hello_World. No errors, warrings, logs, nothing. Script was compiled correctly. Any ideas?

To be honest it is just not a very good idea. There are other ways that you can start a quest. Story Manger for one.

There's no reason not to use the start game enabled box and there are good reasons not to use the story manager, e.g. the quest can't be started and stopped at will if you do so.

I have used the start game enabled box on all of my mods so far and never had a problem. I know that doesn't help much but at least you know it can work.

There's no reason not to use the start game enabled box and there are good reasons not to use the story manager, e.g. the quest can't be started and stopped at will if you do so.

I have used the start game enabled box on all of my mods so far and never had a problem. I know that doesn't help much but at least you know it can work.

How do you test your quests when you start game enable them?

Why would quests not be able to be started and stopped at will when you use story manager?

There are very good reasons not to start game enable a quest. You may be using resources you might not need until the end of the game.

What if the quest is in a dungeon and you do not enter that location until the end of the game? Use the story manager or an existing hopefully persistent trigger.

What possible benefits would there be in start game enabling a quest?

Edited by Masterofnet

How do you test your quests when you start game enable them?

Why would quests not be able to be started and stopped at will when you use story manager?

There are very good reasons not to start game enable a quest. You may be using resources you might not need until the end of the game.

1. By adding a debug in OnInit. If you have aliases and none of them is optional, and they are'nt filled at run-time for whatever reason, OnInit will not run because the quest wont even start.

2. IIRC, Story Manager quests can't be started at run-time via Start(). You can call stop on them, but depending on the Event it is listening for, it'll just keep starting. You have do what you want it to do in the CK. The exceptions are Skill and OnIncreaseLevel events only run once unless you include Stop() in their scripts, which makes the quests repeatable (hard to explain in detail).

3. I feel there is just 1 reason to be weary of Start Game Enable and that's if you have a huge code in OnInit(), and you shouldn't anyway, but there are folks that do that. But that is not to say do not have caution with it, continue with that mindset indeed, just letting you know that is one reason I know of that makes SGE potentially bad, especially before Unbound starts.

Edited by Lisselli

1. By adding a debug in OnInit. If you have aliases and none of them is optional, and they are'nt filled at run-time for whatever reason, OnInit will not run because the quest wont even start.

2. IIRC, Story Manager quests can't be started at run-time via Start(). You can call stop on them, but depending on the Event it is listening for, it'll just keep starting. You have do what you want it to do in the CK. The exceptions are Skill and OnIncreaseLevel events only run once unless you include Stop() in their scripts, which makes the quests repeatable (hard to explain in detail).

3. I feel there is just 1 reason to be weary of Start Game Enable and that's if you have a huge code in OnInit(), and you shouldn't anyway, but there are folks that do that. But that is not to say do not have caution with it, continue with that mindset indeed, just letting you know that is one reason I know of that makes SGE potentially bad, especially before Unbound starts.

1. Can you clarify what you are talking about here? Where are you putting the OnInit? Why would you do that before the quest is running?

2. You put conditions on the Story Manager Node. I have fired other quest using script that used story manager. The only time it did not work was with an OnIcreaseLevel event or if that is a condition on the quest node, however there may be others. To be honest I never use Story Manger Either. I start all my quest with a master quest.

I do not like a quest running unless it has to be. I start them when I need them and stop them when they are no longer needed.

However, To each his own. Definitely do what you are comfortable doing.

Does anyone have a reason why you would start game enable a quest unless you had to have it running at start up?

Edited by Masterofnet

I should point out again that there isn't anything wrong with your feelings on the matter. They are good points yes.

OnInit is often the go-to-event for quick quest testing(or any script in general). But some people out there try to cram everything into OnInit, and for start game enable quests, that is not a smart move. But generally, short OnInits are safe. That's what I meant.

For Story manager, it's obvious you know the condition system works for it. It only works for me when I use conditions on the actual node(not the branch node).

Also running quests don't really do anything unless you have an update running constantly(another thing a lot of people :/).

So yeah, all good, I was just clarifying a few things.

Edited by Lisselli