Inexplicable CTD on save, recurring.

Raiden60

I've tried EVERYTHING to resolve this issue. Looked on the internet for probably over a month for a solution, started new games, reinstalled the game, started COMPLETELY afresh, but with a very similar mod list, so I assume some of these are conflicting, causing issues.

Problem is, I simply cannot pinpoint the issue. I initially thought it was save corruption, as the 'player.kill' method for solving this was working, and this was quite a while ago on my old save, which I assume is now completely lost due to many reasons. At any rate, the issue that caused me to abandon my old save game has arisen again all of a sudden, and I really mean like, out of the blue, I didn't change anything, and reverting to older saves doesn't rectify the problem. Something must have changed in the game files. At least, that's the only way I can make sense of this.

Old load order: http://pastebin.com/W2KszxFk

New load order: http://pastebin.com/rPK4ThDB

On my new load order, the hdtHighHeels.esm won't activate, probably because I was farting around with it trying to fix this issue (someone said that uninstalling this solved the problem for them. Obviously it didn't with me). Regardless, this .esm is present on the old load order so it's likely not the cause.

Anyone got any idea? This is irritating beyond belief, and if I have to start a new game again with a COMPLETELY different load order, I'm gonna sacrifice a goat to Barry the Bee.

If you need any files uploading, please notify me.

1. Get ready for the sacrificial fires. Skyrim bakes information into your saved games, so unless you are using a script cleaner, any time you move/alter/delete a mod, you should start a new game. Script cleaner doesn't always get everything, but let me look at your load order to see if it is something related to that.
2. Just activate your hdthighheels.esm. While yes, HTD can potentially cause crashes, but it should be so rare that it shouldn't be a pain in your neck like this.
3. You are using ETAC, but I don't see any patches in your load order. Go through all the mods and make triple sure there isn't anything that needs patching there. Also I would recomment you not using other city altering mods if you are going to use something like ETAC or JK's Skyrim. I see you have Immersive Solstheim and Whiterun. I would make sure that if there isn't a patch for these mods, that you have checked to make sure they are compatible in every way. If there is nothing mentioned, I will usually ask on the posts/forums section or on Immersive's page for something, but if I don't get a response, I don't use it.
4. A lot of your animation/FNIS/HTD are at the top of your load order. I suggest these load almost last. I'll give you a load order that works well.
Skyrim
Update
Dawnguard
Hearthfires
Dragonborn
USLEEP
[Other .esms]
Hi Res Texture Packs 1,2,3
Unofficial High Res Tex Pack
[utility mods] (Mods that don't really add an .esp. Stuff like UIExtensions, PapyrusUtil, SKSE Scripts)
[All other .esps]
[Texture Mods]
[body Texture mods] (Anything that adds to the character's textures, skin, hair, eyes, body)
Brawlbugs
[Animations] (FNIS and anything FNIS updates)
XPMSE
[Any patches or mods that demand to be last in load order]

1. Get ready for the sacrificial fires. Skyrim bakes information into your saved games, so unless you are using a script cleaner, any time you move/alter/delete a mod, you should start a new game. Script cleaner doesn't always get everything, but let me look at your load order to see if it is something related to that.

2. Just activate your hdthighheels.esm. While yes, HTD can potentially cause crashes, but it should be so rare that it shouldn't be a pain in your neck like this.

3. You are using ETAC, but I don't see any patches in your load order. Go through all the mods and make triple sure there isn't anything that needs patching there. Also I would recomment you not using other city altering mods if you are going to use something like ETAC or JK's Skyrim. I see you have Immersive Solstheim and Whiterun. I would make sure that if there isn't a patch for these mods, that you have checked to make sure they are compatible in every way. If there is nothing mentioned, I will usually ask on the posts/forums section or on Immersive's page for something, but if I don't get a response, I don't use it.

4. A lot of your animation/FNIS/HTD are at the top of your load order. I suggest these load almost last. I'll give you a load order that works well.

Skyrim

Update

Dawnguard

Hearthfires

Dragonborn

USLEEP

[Other .esms]

Hi Res Texture Packs 1,2,3

Unofficial High Res Tex Pack

[utility mods] (Mods that don't really add an .esp. Stuff like UIExtensions, PapyrusUtil, SKSE Scripts)

[All other .esps]

[Texture Mods]

[body Texture mods] (Anything that adds to the character's textures, skin, hair, eyes, body)

Brawlbugs

[Animations] (FNIS and anything FNIS updates)

XPMSE

[Any patches or mods that demand to be last in load order]

Thanks for the reply, and for each of your inquiries/points:

1: You mean deleting orphan scripts and null instances, right? Save game scalpel seems like the go-to thing for that. But yeah, after the catastrophe with the last game I had I decided to keep my mod list relatively static.

2: I tried disabling and re-enabling to see what effect it had. Not much (or any) change, still crashes after an allotted period of time(~60sec), or multiple saves

3: Which patches? I've installed the update, if that's what you mean, I think it replaces one of the .esp/.esms, but I DID forget to add this in my old instance of Skyrim.

4: I'll get right on this. I usually use LOOT to automatically sort my load order, and think nothing of it, but I will definitely change my load order to this and report the effects.

EDIT: Ignore the 3rd point, I just saw the patches and I'm gonna install them now.

Edited by Raiden60

1. Are you using Mod Organizer or NMM?

2. Are you using Crash Fixes? It might help, particularly the part about the SKSE.ini

3. Now you tried your mods on the previous old load order by starting a new game, but after rearranging as I mentioned above, make sure you start a new game for sure and also be sure you update everything like FNIS and stuff.

4. Also make sure that when you are updating your FNIS that there are no ERROR messages in the updating section. Keep an eye on it. If you decide to ever use Halo's Poser, these errors I believe are normal, but everything else I've run across shouldn't have errors.

Edited by snelss0

1. Are you using Mod Organizer or NMM?

2. Are you using Crash Fixes? It might help, particularly the part about the SKSE.ini

3. Now you tried your mods on the previous old load order by starting a new game, but after rearranging as I mentioned above, make sure you start a new game for sure and also be sure you update everything like FNIS and stuff.

4. Also make sure that when you are updating your FNIS that there are no ERROR messages in the updating section. Keep an eye on it. If you decide to ever use Halo's Poser, these errors I believe are normal, but everything else I've run across shouldn't have errors.

Installed crash fixes, set all the parameters after trial and error, all lead to CTD on save. If I start a new game and save then, it doesn't crash even when waiting for a long period of time but ANY save games crash when I try to save now. Idk what to do really. FNIS shows no errors and I'd really f*#@ing hate to start the whole thing over again, and if I did, I'm gonna need a mod list that is concrete and will DEFINITELY work. If that's the case and I need a new mod list, what would you recommend?

Perhaps it is something with your main game files that got corrupted. Go to your Skyrim/data folder and delete your skyrim.esm, update.esm, and all DLC .esms and then revalidate your game cache. To do that, go to your steam, right click on TESV > Properties > Local Files Tab > Verify Game cache. This will put new files into your skyrim folder. You also may want to load up the game through steam, at least until the launcher pops up and sets your video card settings. Turn off Anisotropic and Antialiasing in the video settings of your options and then reclean your master files as recent youtube videos will show you how. Then try your game on a new game and see if it works.

If all else fails and you have to reinstall, make sure it is a clean install: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/906390-cleaning-skyrim-for-fresh-install/

As for mods, I generally keep things light, and I definitely prefer MO over NMM. While I have 200+ mods, none of them are conflicting. I don't select large overhauls that mess with scripts unless I'm 100% sure of how it messes with my other mods. A good rule of thumb is to think generally when installing a mod. If I download "Audio of Skyrim", and I think logically and generally about it, I know that AOS likely affects sounds within terrain regions, sounds NPCs make, sounds weapons and combat makes. Now, if I download a mod that messes with my combat, lets say Archery Overhaul or something like that, I look suspiciously at AOS and I think...does this work with new combat mods? I will then pour over compatibilities, ask on forums, posts sections of the mod pages, and look for patches. If nothing is found, I either uninstall AOS or don't install Archery overhaul.

Have one weather mod, one grass mod, one water mod, and then you will know those shouldn't conflict. Read their pages, they will explain what is in concordance with each other. Above all, read the whole mod page when you are downloading a mod. I am the first to say he hates reading mod pages, but I'd rather do a little bit of reading than experience unknown CTDs, right? Follow the load order I said when installing and overwriting your mods, but if you do intend to use MO, watch this:

• 4 years later...

Call me a Necromancer if you must but I'm posting on this old thread in case someone else has this issue and ends up here. The Inexplicable CTD on save or CTD on Save glitch is one of those mystery bugs LE and SSE have that no one knows how it happens or why. The only solution that seems to work (and this will sound crazy af) is the following:

1. Load an older save (as long as it doesn't have CTD on save glitch)
  2. Create a NEW save (through pause menu)
  3. Open Console
  4. Type player.kill
  5. Close Console
  6. Load your latest save (the one that had the CTD on save glitch)
  7. Open console Again
  8. Type player.kill
  9. Close Console
  10. Try saving

The CTD may happen once or twice more down the road, but do these steps again and it will stop completely. I know I know. I was shocked that it worked as well. Took me 3 days to find a solution so hopefully this will save someone a lot of time.