crafting settlement clutter decorations building

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

damanding

damanding

Woman Who Fixes it or Decorates it

• Premium Member
  • 4,332 posts

UPDATES: The article on the Creative Clutter mod will always be more up to date than this thread (I don't feel like maintaining both).  Latest versionhttp://www.nexusmods...4/articles/384/

I've been working on a large clutter mod with Dinozaurz, Evanpox, and MsRae that will be called CREAtive Clutter.  The mod combines all the cluttery bits of their current mods, new stuff they've created, Lazy Furniture (pre-decorated furniture I've made) and additional clutter I've made.  The Lazy Furniture portion includes themed cluttered furniture: Prewar, Postwar and Institute.  So I've also tailored my building and decor guide around supporting those themes.

We're finally wrapping up all the stuff needed to publish.  One of the things that will be published as both an article and a downloadable PDF is a guide to the best settlement building and decorations mods on the Nexus.  I'm publishing my current draft here for input.  Yes, I know it's long.  

General rules of thumb for inclusion:
-Structural building kits
-Cluttered objects
-Furniture
-Retextures that affect the above (but I'm not going to go overboard here)
-A few useful tools

Not being included:
-Mods I consider too buggy or lacking support (if needed)
-Wall decor such as flags, posters, artwork.  There's just too many and it's too subjective.
-Mods that only add/change one or two items only
-Insufficient popularity

Most mods listed below are cross-referenced as appropriate, for example if it's both prewar themed and a structural building mod it will be in both categories.

The full list:

Prewar Themes
Spoiler

Postwar Themes
Most mods actually fit here, but I'm not going to list them all here, just a few stand-outs.
Spoiler

Institute Themes
Spoiler

Vault-Tec Themes
Spoiler

Structural Mods
Spoiler

Clutter/Furniture Mods
Spoiler

Redecorated/Filled Brahmin Trough mods
Spoiler

Decorated Vendor Stall Mods
Spoiler

Everything and the Kitchen Sink
Spoiler

Retextures
Spoiler

Brahmin Retexture mods
Spoiler

Useful Tools
Spoiler

Edited by damanding, 17 April 2017 - 10:45 PM.

Athanasa

Athanasa

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

The "Atom's Greatness" link goes to the Diner webpage.

Maybe put the different groups in Spoiler tags?

damanding

damanding

• Premium Member
  • 4,332 posts

Thanks for that input! I fixed the link and added spoilers.  I spent about 13 hours yesterday working on mod stuff and putting that guide together.  I was pretty tired and not thinking clearly by the time I posted it.  I had tried putting the entire list in spoilers but it wouldn't work with the bold/resized headers and I didn't think of splitting it up in multiple spoilers. lol that's what I get for working too long. :D

Ethreon

Ethreon

Hobo Feral

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,996 posts

If I remember right you are using Outfit to make the meshes. It allows removing tris and other optimization processes? Cause your meshes will definitely use some if you make generic decorative clutter.

damanding

damanding

• Premium Member
  • 4,332 posts

If I remember right you are using Outfit to make the meshes. It allows removing tris and other optimization processes? Cause your meshes will definitely use some if you make generic decorative clutter.

I make them in Outfit and then do a final error check and sanitize in Nifskope.  But if you have suggestions on improving the meshes I'm all ears.  We probably won't get them optimized this go round because we're too close to done to want to go through them all again, but we can update them for the future hopefully!  We've already finished all the mesh work.  Now we're packaging and doing content for the mod page.

Edited by damanding, 11 December 2016 - 06:29 PM.

Ethreon

Ethreon

Hobo Feral

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,996 posts

I dunno if Outfit has functionality to reduce tri count aside for manually deleting them.. does it have statistics of any sort? Poly count, tri count, vert count etc.

damanding

damanding

• Premium Member
  • 4,332 posts

I dunno if Outfit has functionality to reduce tri count aside for manually deleting them.. does it have statistics of any sort? Poly count, tri count, vert count etc.

Not that I can find in a couple minutes of poking around in all the menus and views.

genolune

genolune

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,087 posts

What would really be great is more themed items for settlements.

Starlight Drive-In could have popcorn and other movie theater type stuff.

Red Rocket could be more of a gas station with convenience stuff on the shelf (gives me an idea for Do It Yourshelf).

Outpost Zimonja could use hesco barriers, concertina wire, and other Afghanistan military campaign type stuff.

Oberland Station could use some train themed items (like the railroad crossing sticks that come down (though the whole build could be opened up that is another can of worms).

Slog maybe needs some pool type stuff.

Maybe some Airport type stuff for Boston Airport though I can't think of what goes well with an airport right now.

A good idea would be more supernatural, horror and sci-fi items as befitting the quirky nature of Fallout.

I started doing some brainstorming of that here but only two others cared enough to comment: Themed Settlements.

I'm using this playthrough to build themed settlements and I actually use quite a bit of that list.  I'll let you know if there is anything else I can suggest when I look through my list of stuff.

damanding

damanding

• Premium Member
  • 4,332 posts

Feel free to add clutter ideas you'd like to see made (using existing vanilla/dlc meshes) and we can possibly add it in a future update. :)

genolune

genolune

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,087 posts

Here are some things for you to look at and consider if you want:

AWARHERO's Japanese Decor Pack  You can see me use it here: YouTube Video

Castle Rebuilt  The best Castle restoration out of the ones I tried.

I have some others which I don't know if you would want them, but longer power lines, longer wireless range, invisible furniture (animation markers), portable workshop enhanced, settlement garage sale.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crafting, settlement, clutter, decorations, building

Page loaded in: 1.113 seconds