Long War Installation Path Problem

AldorsRage

First I'd like to say that this is my first time trying to mod a game, so please try to ignore the 'NOOB Alert' siren then just went off.

Ok, down to business. I have been playing Xcom: EW for some time now when I heard about the 'Long War' mod from a friend and it piqued my interest.

I followed the instructions, shut down my Steam Client, turned off my anti-virus, then proceeded with the installation. I received the path warning that I was supposed to then clicked Install. I then received a path error. This is where my questions come in. I am including the error log to better explain my issue.

[iNFO]> ==========XCOMModHelper========
[iNFO]> Found XCOM Root Directory of [ c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown ]
[iNFO]> Backup Target Directory is [ c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Backup ]
[iNFO]> Decompressed UPK Folder [ c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\UpkUnpacked ]
[iNFO]> Decompressed UPK Output Directory does not exist, creating
[ERROR]> An Error occured during processing:Cannot find the specified Target Path [ c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe ]
[ERROR]> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Cannot find the specified Target Path [ c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe ]
at XCOMModHelper.XCOMModHelper.ExpandTargetPath(String targetPath, Boolean validatePath) in d:\Workspace\xcom-mod-helper\XCOMModHelper\XCOMModHelper.cs:line 127
at XCOMModHelper.XCOMModHelper.ExpandPatchTargetPaths() in d:\Workspace\xcom-mod-helper\XCOMModHelper\XCOMModHelper.cs:line 113
at XCOMModHelper.XCOMModHelper.Execute() in d:\Workspace\xcom-mod-helper\XCOMModHelper\XCOMModHelper.cs:line 39
at XCOMModHelper.Program.Main(String[] args) in d:\Workspace\xcom-mod-helper\XCOMModHelper\Program.cs:line 53
[ERROR]>
The Patching Process was Aborted
My issue is in the 1st and 2nd error lines. The Binaries folder with Win32\XComEW.exe are not in this designated folder they are in the Xcom-Enemy-Unknown main folder not the XEW folder, also XComEW.exe is actually XComGame.
Like I said, this is my first time trying to mod something so I'm unsure as to my options here. Should I copy and paste the Binaries folder into the XEW folder then rename the XComGame file with XComEW, and one more question, do I then change the target file in the XComEnemyUnknown shortcut on my desktop to the new exe file.
Your input here is definitely welcome and very much appreciated.

Several things:

1) Did you "verify" your EW game back to "vanilla" state?

2) Are you installing LW v1.0?

3) As I recall, you should be pointing the installer to the "<SteamInstallPath>\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown" folder and not any deeper (i.e. NOT into the "XEW" folder) to avoid this problem.

4) You have Steam (and XCOM) installed to the default location of "C:\Program Files(x86)". This causes lots of problems. It is STRONGLY recommended that you move it. It's pretty much mandatory for modded XCOM. See the "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article in my signature for how and why. This is also covered in the "Basic Guide to installing mods" wiki article, which should be read by anyone who intends to play a modded version of XCOM. There many things you have to do to get any mod to work correctly, or Steam will revert you back to vanilla the next time you resume playing again.

The Nexus download page has a "Forums" tab, which is where you should look for and ask about any further LW specific problems.

Have fun, but realize that all the traditional strategies you are used to will not work for LW. It really is a different, much more difficult game. You will want to check out the "Long War wiki" about the changes.

-Dubious-

First, yes I did 'verify' my EW to be sure it was back to vanilla state.

Second, yes, it is the LW 1.0 that I am attempting to install.

Third:

3) As I recall, you should be pointing the installer to the "<SteamInstallPath>\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown" folder and not any deeper (i.e. NOT into the "XEW" folder) to avoid this problem.

The installer goes to this location then asks me if I know that this location already exists, I believe this is the error that is spoken of in the installation instructions, it isn't until after I click 'Install' that it goes into the XEW folder looking for the above stated path in the 'Error Log' that I included.

Fourth, ok I'm doing my best not to get too confused here (unfortunately it happens all to often), if I am understanding you correctly I should reinstall XcomEW somewhere else, hypothetically into a folder on my desktop lets say. What is the difference as to the location, once it is installed won't Steam just boot the game the same as it would as if it were in the Common folder where it and my other games are now ??

Ok, I have copy and pasted the XCom-Enemy-Unknown folder to a folder on my desktop.

Hopefully I am not coming of as being indifferent here, I do appreciate your help.

Re my questons 1&2: Just eliminating two common problem areas. You are "good to go" in that regard.

Re question 3. The "already exists" error is expected in that the "XEW" folder does indeed exist.

Re 4. The major problem with having the game in the default location is that the "C:\Program Files" folder tree has system "anti-malware" locations, which will among other things, prevent any changes to folders in that location after a program was initially installed. So your error log has a couple of INFO lines:

[INFO]> Backup Target Directory is [ c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Backup ]

[INFO]> Decompressed UPK Folder [ c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\UpkUnpacked ]

indicating it is tried to create those folders and those error lines you spotted saying it can't find them (they failed to get created). That would be because the system is preventing the installer from creating those folders in that path. Which is why you have to move the game elsewhere.

Moving the game to the "desktop" is not a good choice, because the desktop is a folder under your "C:\Users\<YourAccountName>" path, and always gets loaded and processed every time you open and close another program, even when you do not need it. Moving to a new folder (such as "C:\Games") avoids that overhead which slows things down. However, either location avoids the problems of having it under "C:\Program Files". You could also move it to a "D:" drive folder instead, which I note the installer is using for it's work files. Choose whichever drive has the most free disk space.

Please note that "copy and pasting" is not "moving" the game. Moving is required to cause the registry entry for the game to update to point to the correct location. "Copy and paste" does not cause that update. The Steam recommended procedure to move games is linked in the "Installing Games" article in my signature as previously noted.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent