How do I disable Bombers in The Following?

frappim

Hello Frappim!

What you are looking for is not in the data0.pak, but in the DataDLC17_2.pak in the DW_DLC17 folder.

Open it with WinRar and navigate down into data\maps\wasteland\ and copy (don't move/cut) the file

wasteland_pools.scr

to your desktop or elsewhere. Open it with your favorite editor and have a look inside.

You'll find a variety of "Pool" blocks in there, such as

Pool("bombers")
{
UseCondition("Day")
Type("bombers")
Preset("Bomber_Wasteland_Attack, 40;Bomber_Wasteland_Nav, 60;Viral_Wasteland, 10;Vessel_GasTank_Late, 20;")

}

or

AreaPool("RayOfHope_01")
{
Preset("Infected_Init_Wasteland, 6;SuiciderBomber_Init_Wasteland, 1")
}

These "pools" are basicly various predetermined groups of zombies that spawn in certain areas/locations or under certain conditions (like i.e. for challenges, different noise levels, at day/night time etc.).

You see that depending on how such a group is put together by it's preset, it may or may not contain different types of bombers among other zombies.

Go through all blocks in this file and check if bombers are included in the preset.

Then you have three options:

Delete or "comment out" these blocks completely like

// Pool("bombers")
// {
// UseCondition("Day")
// Type("bombers")
// Preset("Bomber_Wasteland_Attack, 40;Bomber_Wasteland_Nav, 60;Viral_Wasteland, 10;Vessel_GasTank_Late, 20;")

// }

but note that this would make you lose the spawn of the whole group, instead of removing the bombers only.

Delete only the bombers from a certain pool's preset, like

Pool("bombers")
{
UseCondition("Day")
Type("bombers")
Preset("
Bomber_Wasteland_Attack, 40;Bomber_Wasteland_Nav, 60;Viral_Wasteland, 10;Vessel_GasTank_Late, 20;")

}

to

Pool("bombers")
{
UseCondition("Day")
Type("bombers")
Preset("Viral_Wasteland, 10;Vessel_GasTank_Late, 20;")

}

or

AreaPool("Car_Challange_Slammer")
{
Preset("Viral_Wasteland, 3;Viral_Wasteland_Nav, 1
;Bomber_Wasteland, 2;Bomber_Wasteland_Nav, 1")

}

to

{
Preset("Viral_Wasteland, 3;Viral_Wasteland_Nav, 1")
}

You could also remove the bombers and instead add another type of zombie to a preset:

Pool("bombers")
{
UseCondition("Day")
Type("bombers")
Preset("Bomber_Wasteland_Attack, 40;Bomber_Wasteland_Nav, 60;Viral_Wasteland, 10;Vessel_GasTank_Late, 20;")

}

to

Pool("bombers")
{
UseCondition("Day")
Type("bombers")
Preset("
Goon_Wasteland_Dynamic, 40;Bitter_Agressive, 60;Viral_Wasteland, 10;Vessel_GasTank_Late, 20;")

}

(the different zombie-types are found allover the file)

I would recommend this option for the challenges at least, because if you completely remove zombies from a group that you i.e. need for a challenge, you may not be able to complete the challenge properly because you miss out on kills or XP due to lack of mobs. So i guess replacing bombers would be a better option here.

When you got your pool's presets fixed by using one of the above methods, go back to WinRar and into DataDLC17_2.pak\data\maps\wasteland again, rename the original wasteland_pools.scr that you left in there to something like wasteland_pools.scr_BAK and insert your edited file:

\---data
\---maps
\---wasteland
|--- wasteland_pools.scr (<-your edited version)
|--- wasteland_pools.scr_BAK (<- the original file)

Give it a go and see if bombers still appear.

They should not, but i've been messing around with spawns in The Following for a while and at times it is a tricky thing.

If you still run into bombers, take a look into DataDLC17_2.pak\data\maps\wasteland -> wasteland_curves.scr and wasteland_presets.scr as well. Again, edit, delete or comment out everything related to bombers.

I only had to edit my wasteland_pools.scr, but this whole spawn thing doesn't always seem to make sense and while one method works for one player, another sometimes has to dig a bit deeper and tinker some more.

Good luck! Please report back!

Edited by Snart

Hello Frappim!

What you are looking for is not in the data0.pak, but in the DataDLC17_2.pak in the DW_DLC17 folder.

Open it with WinRar and navigate down into data\maps\wasteland\ and copy (don't move/cut) the file

wasteland_pools.scr

WOW! thanks for the long detailed reply! this is amazing, I've asked on a few places, and never got a response once, and yet, the last place I thought anyone would reply.... I get the best answer!

Thank you very much, I will try this now :smile:

bombers don't really annoy me all that much, it's the fast that I can just stand there and suddenly 1 explodes and a bunch of runners come and attack me. it just gets really annoying for me and my friends, especially because I made no noise and there was no reason for them to even know where I was!

I will try and remove them from certain pools and see if it works!

I'd like to have them gone from freeroam/driving around, or atleast see them less often, but I do not mind them in other parts of the game!

Also, funny how some pools make sense like : "day_into_car " which I assume is which mobs spawn when you're in your car in the daytime, but then you have "Car_Challange_Slammer" which I have no idea what it is!

Edited by frappim

WOW! thanks for the long detailed reply! this is amazing, I've asked on a few places, and never got a response once, and yet, the last place I thought anyone would reply.... I get the best answer!

Thank you very much, I will try this now :smile:

bombers don't really annoy me all that much, it's the fast that I can just stand there and suddenly 1 explodes and a bunch of runners come and attack me. it just gets really annoying for me and my friends, especially because I made no noise and there was no reason for them to even know where I was!

I will try and remove them from certain pools and see if it works!

I'd like to have them gone from freeroam/driving around, or atleast see them less often, but I do not mind them in other parts of the game!

Also, funny how some pools make sense like : "day_into_car " which I assume is which mobs spawn when you're in your car in the daytime, but then you have "Car_Challange_Slammer" which I have no idea what it is!

Glad that i could help, hopefully it works for you as it did for me.

But like i said, if bombers still appear, just check out the wasteland_presets.scr and comment out all types of bombers in there.

"it's the fast that I can just stand there and suddenly 1 explodes and a bunch of runners come and attack me "

Yes, there are more of these rather annoying things that trigger runners ("Virals") to spawn. It also happens that a burning zombie or poisoned zombie dies and for whatever reason it's head explodes. The explosion will then trigger runners and you can get into sort of endless spawn loops.

Maybe you have also seen the Pool("noise") blocks in the wasteland_pools.scr that trigger Runners/Virals.

These triggers that spawn runners are literally scattered allover the files and it would be a lifetime job to remove them all.

So i guess the best solution for this would be to edit the runners' AI themselves so that no noise spawns them and only the runner patrols (like the ones that chase you when you are in your car) and those required for quests get spawned by the game -if that is even possible. But in that case, firecrackers and noise arrows probably wouldn't work on them anymore.

I haven't looked into that, because i have bombers, runners, demolishers etc. disabled altogether. I wanted to make The Following more of a "classic" zombie countryside experience without all the fancy or over the top infected-types.

Have fun!

• 3 years later...

I'd like to know where to look in the data0.pak folder, not too sure where to start looking!

If anyone knows how I can disable the bombers... that'd be great.

Thanks!

Hello Frappim!

wasteland_pools.scr

to your desktop or elsewhere. Open it with your favorite editor and have a look inside.

You'll find a variety of "Pool" blocks in there, such as

Pool("bombers")

{

UseCondition("Day")

Type("bombers")

}

or

AreaPool("RayOfHope_01")

{

Preset("Infected_Init_Wasteland, 6;SuiciderBomber_Init_Wasteland, 1")

}

These "pools" are basicly various predetermined groups of zombies that spawn in certain areas/locations or under certain conditions (like i.e. for challenges, different noise levels, at day/night time etc.).

You see that depending on how such a group is put together by it's preset, it may or may not contain different types of bombers among other zombies.

Go through all blocks in this file and check if bombers are included in the preset.

Then you have three options:

Delete or "comment out" these blocks completely like

// Pool("bombers")

// {

// UseCondition("Day")

// Type("bombers")

// Preset("Bomber_Wasteland_Attack, 40;Bomber_Wasteland_Nav, 60;Viral_Wasteland, 10;Vessel_GasTank_Late, 20;")

// }

but note that this would make you lose the spawn of the whole group, instead of removing the bombers only.

Delete only the bombers from a certain pool's preset, like

Pool("bombers")

{

UseCondition("Day")

Type("bombers")

}

to

Pool("bombers")

{

UseCondition("Day")

Type("bombers")

Preset("Viral_Wasteland, 10;Vessel_GasTank_Late, 20;")

}

or

{

Preset("Viral_Wasteland, 3;Viral_Wasteland_Nav, 1;Bomber_Wasteland, 2;Bomber_Wasteland_Nav, 1")

}

to

{

Preset("Viral_Wasteland, 3;Viral_Wasteland_Nav, 1")

}

You could also remove the bombers and instead add another type of zombie to a preset:

Pool("bombers")

{

UseCondition("Day")

Type("bombers")

}

to

Pool("bombers")

{

UseCondition("Day")

Type("bombers")

Preset("Goon_Wasteland_Dynamic, 40;Bitter_Agressive, 60;Viral_Wasteland, 10;Vessel_GasTank_Late, 20;")

}

(the different zombie-types are found allover the file)

I would recommend this option for the challenges at least, because if you completely remove zombies from a group that you i.e. need for a challenge, you may not be able to complete the challenge properly because you miss out on kills or XP due to lack of mobs. So i guess replacing bombers would be a better option here.

When you got your pool's presets fixed by using one of the above methods, go back to WinRar and into DataDLC17_2.pak\data\maps\wasteland again, rename the original wasteland_pools.scr that you left in there to something like wasteland_pools.scr_BAK and insert your edited file:

\---data

\---maps

\---wasteland

|--- wasteland_pools.scr (<-your edited version)

|--- wasteland_pools.scr_BAK (<- the original file)

Give it a go and see if bombers still appear.

They should not, but i've been messing around with spawns in The Following for a while and at times it is a tricky thing.

If you still run into bombers, take a look into DataDLC17_2.pak\data\maps\wasteland -> wasteland_curves.scr and wasteland_presets.scr as well. Again, edit, delete or comment out everything related to bombers.

I only had to edit my wasteland_pools.scr, but this whole spawn thing doesn't always seem to make sense and while one method works for one player, another sometimes has to dig a bit deeper and tinker some more.

Good luck! Please report back!

Hello! Please tell me how to remove the bombers from the old city, or weaken the power of their explosion? Changed parameters like ParamFloat ("melee_range", 3.0) // at what range we explode
ParamFloat ("explode_range", 6.0) in infected_data_custom_preset_btz_suicider.scr, but they did not give anything. The bombers, as before, continue to kill me with one shot))
I tried to remove them according to your guide in the files common_spawn_pools.scr and common_spawn_presets.scr, nothing happens. Bombs will spawn anyway, when I delete a lot of lines with them, it happens that in general all zombies disappear ((