Correct order of script files

Mudran

Please, can anyone tell me the correct order for script files in Data folder?

The old Skyrim had scripts/source

in scripts folder - all the .pex files

in source folder - all the psc files

but the new .zip downloaded with the CK has the structure Source/scripts

all vanilla game scripts .psc are in the scripts folder, and also in that scripts folder it has dawnguard, dragoborn etc subfolders with psc files of DLCs, so CK cannot find any DLC, because it is not in scripts folder directly.

when I open BSA/misc - it will only show scripts folder with all pex files - no source,nothing else.

I'm sorry for such question, but I have no idea how it should looks like - it was enough that it was working in the previous version, but when it is different here, I have no idea how to make it working.

and anything related to scripts keep crashing, so I cannot work on any quest mod.

Edited by Mudran

The game uses PEX files and they must be in "Data > Scripts"

The Creation Kit uses PSC files and they can be in any directory so long as that directory is specified in the INI file for the Creation Kit. By default for SSE, that directory is "Data > Source > Scripts"

The location of PSC files will not harm your game as they are not used by the game at all. Their sole purpose is to be a human readable format of the PEX files.

Great, thanks, so it is safe to just move the scripts from the dlcs folders to the scripts folder for CK to find them and it should be OK. I tried to copy them only and I think CK didn't like it, so I deleted it all and it stopped working completely - I couldn't compile anything because I deleted some hidden file too and temp folder.

Thanks a lot for info :smile:

Edited by Mudran

Yes, you can copy the DLC PSC files from their original folders to the same folder as the base game PSC files. Just be sure to follow the same order as the plugins (Dawnguard, Heartfires, Dragonborn).

Alternatively, you can use Sublime Text to compile your scripts cause it can be set up to use multiple source folders.

OK I have a question about this.

My install has ...\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Source\Scripts

and in the \Data\Source folder there are no files, just the one folder Scripts and in that folder Scripts I have all the *.psc files and 5 folders \Backup \Dawnguard \Heartfires \Dragonborn and \Temp with their *.psc files in them.

I do not "see" any .pex files (I did a search for *.pex and found nothing in all of Skyrim)

so 2 questions, How do I setup my windows explore to "SEE" files with pex extension? Is there a need to change my folder structure? I also saw some post that said the folder structure was not right when you pack up your mod for delivery? (and is that true)

My install has ...\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Source\Scripts

and in the \Data\Source folder there are no files, just the one folder Scripts and in that folder Scripts I have all the *.psc files and 5 folders \Backup \Dawnguard \Heartfires \Dragonborn and \Temp with their *.psc files in them.

I do not "see" any .pex files (I did a search for *.pex and found nothing in all of Skyrim)

so 2 questions, How do I setup my windows explore to "SEE" files with pex extension? Is there a need to change my folder structure? I also saw some post that said the folder structure was not right when you pack up your mod for delivery? (and is that true)

The vanilla .pex files are all in Scripts.bsa. You'll have to extract them with BAE or similar.

The vanilla .pex files are all in Scripts.bsa. You'll have to extract them with BAE or similar.

So then it's not a bad thing that I don't SEE the .pex files , because they are "Zipped up" (I know it's not a zip file, you get my meaning). Do I have to extract them? What would be the reason, to check out a different script? My question is once I complete my mod, my scripts will also be in my bsa file or does that automatically get rolled into the .esm file. I have not read up on the packaging of a mod for Skyrim yet, and since you were nice a answered my post... I ask you :happy:

PEX files get packed into the BSA for your mod. The game's own PEX scripts are in the "Skyrim - Misc.bsa" file. The game will take care of loading the correct scripts based on the load order of the matching ESP/ESM files so you really don't need to worry about those.

There's no reason you would need to unpack the game's original PEX scripts. The game and the CK can read those from the BSA just fine. On the other hand, the source scripts aren't in the BSA because they are only needed by the CK not the game.

Ahhh I understand. Thanks to all of you for the responses. So I was worrying about nothing. Now if I can just figure out how to turn off ambient lighting in my mod (player house), I only want the light from sources I place, but I got a dim light and fog thing going on... I'll read more about it. Thanks again.