Blender 2.49b Python error

TheCooliestt

So, I've managed to install blender and its components relatively correctly, but ofcourse I'm having another problem. It seems that when i import a nif file extracted from fallout 4 meshes, i get the error: python script error, check console. Now, i dont have a lot of experience with consoles, but it said this: ValueError: string too long. I tried a several other random nif files and two of them said: not a nif files, although they were? I'm honestly almost at my limit of skills here when it comes to using blender. It is blender 2.49b, python 2.6.5, pyffi 2.1.11, and blender nif plugin 2.5.. If theres anything somebody can tell me I'd REALLY appreciate it. And if you could either send me a link to a detailed and current tutorial OR give me a quick what-to-do that be awesome. Thanks in advance.

apparently there is something in the FO4 Nifs that make some FO4 NIF's not import, or not import correctly. Check out the NIFscope site for information.

on the Bethesda net, FO4 Creation kit forum some say you can import using blender 2.7 others say not..

a suggested work around is to import using 3dsmax then export the nif as a FO3 nif to use in blender.

I guess you could open it in NIFscope then export as a obj file to open with blender.

Edited by JoKelly

Ill try that that part thank. I really wish i could use 3dsmax but i had previous issues with that too. So to confirm, i should first open a nif file in Nifskope, make it a obj file somehow(idk how yet), then open it up in blender(2.7 or 2.49b?) i read somewhere that i should edit the files in 2.7 then import to 2.49b as a obj and convert to a nif. Is that possible? Thanks for helping btw

its not the best option, but it works. Just open the Nif then click file, then export, and it will give you the option of exporting as either Obj or DAE. I have had few problems with Obj but try both and see which one you prefer to work with. then open Blender, import which ever file type you chose and get to work.

Edit... I just found this, so give it a look over it might make things even easier for you.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7957/?

Edited by JoKelly

Usually the answer is 2.49b but on different forums I've seen where people posted they were using 2.76 or around that build. Currently I'm sure you can use 2.49b.

I know that in the past some said that you could use the latest build, then save as a legacy blend file or Obj, 3ds or other compatible file type then open that in 2.49b and export as a FO3 NIF.

I've just stuck with 2.49b because I'm used to. Though I might go for the latest build when I start trying to make animations.

Edited by JoKelly