Recommendations on what OS to use.

roodypatooty

Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a lot, and I've done my fair share of research but wanted your guys' opinions as well.

I recently bought a GTX1080 and an acer predator g sync 4K monitor to start jumping into 4K gaming (woot!).

I've seen countless articles about the 4GB VRAM cap on Windows 10 so my question is, for a heavily modded visual skyrim with a lot of 2K/4K textures, Tetrachromatic ENB, running at native 4K resolution, do you think I can get away with running Skyrim on WIndows 10 or should I start all over on windows 7?

I've heard people say that stability isn't that much different between the 2 OS's and others have said there is. Will RAM start to get in the way before VRAM at this point or is VRAM always more important?

Thanks!

Edited by roodypatooty

I run 8k, 4k, and 2k textures, and lots of them on Windows 10. No problems. This is my result:

15432009-1481188432.jpg

Vram is very important for Skyrim as far as I know, probably moreso than the graphics card. I would have at least 8gb if I were you. Also, a downside with windows 10 is that the XBOX app messes with Skyrim's FPS. Simply go into it, go into the settings and shut off the XBOX DVR if you haven't yet. This is the only thing that was unique to windows that messed with me, but there are whole lists of things you can do to improve your gameplay on windows 10.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=500687692

If skyrim is the only or pretty much the game you play majority of time and you want to heavily mod then yes i would recommend windows 7.

If you play other games also and skyrim isnt what you play majority of time id stick with windows 10.

windows 10 is a fine operating system but the DX9 4GB limit really hurts with a heavily modded skyrim.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I'll look into turning the xbox dvr thing off for sure!

Skyrim isn't the only game I play but I do seem to be playing it a lot more than any other game. I guess it doesn't hurt to try installing windows 7 on another hard drive and moving the modded skyrim to that? Can that work like that?