The Sunday Discussion - IceCreamAssassin - Author of "Legacy of the Dragonborn"

TheTokenGeek

Legacy is an automatic must have in any load order. As someone who is just this week coming back to PC gaming after a computer crash 7 months ago fried my old laptop, my first stop on old Skyrim downloads is the Legacy page, followed by Druid's Den and then all the others.

Looking forward to SSE port when it is able, but Old Skyrim is still good enough for me.

Thanks Ice for all you've done as a whole.

In response to post #45788870.

sleepytigereyes wrote: Did you forget follower mods? We don't seem to get any credit at all but they are in so much demand and yet we are left in the dust.

Did who forget follower mods? BlindJudge? This is only the second Modder showcase interview that's been on Nexus.

and what the heck do you mean "We don't seem to get any credit" follower mods dominate the hot files almost all the time and 90% of the time they are just some plastic looking eye candy with no real depth to their character. Only once in awhile does one come around that has some real substance and feels like they really belong in the TES world. Too many look like a fashion magazine (or worse) IMO.

And frankly as a player and as a mod author (just my own opinion) followers just get in the way, both in game and when I am searching online for solutions to other completely non follower related technical issues (searches erroneously return follower how to info left and right, it's so obnoxious).

That said though, despite my personal feelings on followers, I appreciate the work you put in, because having added follower functionality to several characters in Legacy, I know how much work it is.

Bethesda needs a dedicated Modding Community Liaison who does nothing but work with modders to improve communication, tools, and development on both sides of the fence. I'd personally nominate you, icecream, or Chesko for the job. :-) Except it would take away from your modding time and I'm selfish, lol. Seriously though, Bethesda is missing massive opportunities for profit in my opinion, while building even stronger communities around their games, and that is the most mind boggling part to me.

As for follower mods, there are thousands of them out there, literally. There is no huge demand for follower mods unless the poster is talking about custom-voiced, interactive, quest-based, really unique and interesting follower mods. Frankly I'm personally just constantly disgusted by seeing generic anime often prepubescent looking followers constantly cluttering up the Hot Files just because, well, boobs, instead of really great, awesome mods that took months and months (and years!) to make getting the attention THEY deserve.

In response to post #45788870. #45798700 is also a reply to the same post.

sleepytigereyes wrote: Did you forget follower mods? We don't seem to get any credit at all but they are in so much demand and yet we are left in the dust.
icecreamassassin wrote: Did who forget follower mods? BlindJudge? This is only the second Modder showcase interview that's been on Nexus.

and what the heck do you mean "We don't seem to get any credit" follower mods dominate the hot files almost all the time and 90% of the time they are just some plastic looking eye candy with no real depth to their character. Only once in awhile does one come around that has some real substance and feels like they really belong in the TES world. Too many look like a fashion magazine (or worse) IMO.

And frankly as a player and as a mod author (just my own opinion) followers just get in the way, both in game and when I am searching online for solutions to other completely non follower related technical issues (searches erroneously return follower how to info left and right, it's so obnoxious).

That said though, despite my personal feelings on followers, I appreciate the work you put in, because having added follower functionality to several characters in Legacy, I know how much work it is.

Can I just correct you op please? SUPER followers are in demand, like Inigo, Arissa and Sofia, ones with backstory, depth and custom voice packages. Like Ice says, "eyecandy" superfluous followers are most certainly not, they are a dime a dozen on Nexus frankly.

The rest I agree wholeheartedly with Ice on. Sorry, but you put in the work you get rewarded, and eyecandy followers arent much work to make imho.

In response to post #45788870. #45798700, #45799680 are all replies on the same post.

icecreamassassin wrote: Did who forget follower mods? BlindJudge? This is only the second Modder showcase interview that's been on Nexus.

bigdeano89 wrote: Can I just correct you op please? SUPER followers are in demand, like Inigo, Arissa and Sofia, ones with backstory, depth and custom voice packages. Like Ice says, "eyecandy" superfluous followers are most certainly not, they are a dime a dozen on Nexus frankly.

The rest I agree wholeheartedly with Ice on. Sorry, but you put in the work you get rewarded, and eyecandy followers arent much work to make imho.

I am going to have to agree with icecreamassassin and bigdeano. I know that making follower mods is difficult but recently they have been on the Hotfiles all the time. And personally I get sick of the vanilla voiced followers that drown out a lot of the followers that are voiced/quested.

The Discussions are new and eventually an author of follower mods will be interviewed.

And I do feel that apart of the reason you do not see as much "credit" to follower mods is due to the shear amount of them that have popping up. Most with the same amount of quality to the mod, that they dont stand out as much.