The Sunday Discussion - IceCreamAssassin - Author of "Legacy of the Dragonborn"

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #45781170. #45834020 is also a reply to the same post.

icecreamassassin wrote: Hey thanks guys! Super excited about the interview. Didn't realize he had posted it :)

And yes, Legacy will eventually be making it to SSE once SKSE64 is up and running.
Zero_Phoenix wrote: Good to hear. Hadn't heard of this mod till now; and migrated over to SSE, for 4K stability. :D

Glad to hear this! I've loved your mod since before V5 was out (just happened to run across it one day) but I can barely play Skyrim anymore because of how choppy it's become, even without mods installed and a fresh install.

Read some of your blog and it's clear why Legacy is so successful. Don't know how to put it into words, but you've got that talent for success that some people are lucky to have (lame attempt at putting it into words :p ).

Thanks for the awesome mod, icecreamassassain!

You are 100% about Bethsda and PC modding. They're using PC gamers to help them sell console copies, yet they don't want to give us any support and on top of that they make a bare bones system for publishing the mods.

It's really no wonder they don't just make SSE free for everyone on PC and not just people who have classic Skyrim since that's the only way to effectively make mods for it. I'm sure someone will eventually get it right.

In response to post #45788870. #45798700, #45799680, #45800530, #45809045, #45818235, #45822620 are all replies on the same post.

sleepytigereyes wrote: Did you forget follower mods? We don't seem to get any credit at all but they are in so much demand and yet we are left in the dust.
icecreamassassin wrote: Did who forget follower mods? BlindJudge? This is only the second Modder showcase interview that's been on Nexus.

and what the heck do you mean "We don't seem to get any credit" follower mods dominate the hot files almost all the time and 90% of the time they are just some plastic looking eye candy with no real depth to their character. Only once in awhile does one come around that has some real substance and feels like they really belong in the TES world. Too many look like a fashion magazine (or worse) IMO.

And frankly as a player and as a mod author (just my own opinion) followers just get in the way, both in game and when I am searching online for solutions to other completely non follower related technical issues (searches erroneously return follower how to info left and right, it's so obnoxious).

That said though, despite my personal feelings on followers, I appreciate the work you put in, because having added follower functionality to several characters in Legacy, I know how much work it is.
bigdeano89 wrote: Can I just correct you op please? SUPER followers are in demand, like Inigo, Arissa and Sofia, ones with backstory, depth and custom voice packages. Like Ice says, "eyecandy" superfluous followers are most certainly not, they are a dime a dozen on Nexus frankly.

The rest I agree wholeheartedly with Ice on. Sorry, but you put in the work you get rewarded, and eyecandy followers arent much work to make imho.
Elta1 wrote: I am going to have to agree with icecreamassassin and bigdeano. I know that making follower mods is difficult but recently they have been on the Hotfiles all the time. And personally I get sick of the vanilla voiced followers that drown out a lot of the followers that are voiced/quested.

The Discussions are new and eventually an author of follower mods will be interviewed.

And I do feel that apart of the reason you do not see as much "credit" to follower mods is due to the shear amount of them that have popping up. Most with the same amount of quality to the mod, that they dont stand out as much.
Arjisaj wrote: Generic cute girl followers with no story or personality beyond being "cute" or "hot" drown out the very few follower mods even worth looking at.
I'm sorry, but when you just churn out cutesy-girl after cutesy-girl, you won't get recognized.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these types of mods are inherently bad, but expecting praise and recognition from the larger masses is just not really feasible.

As for being "in so much demand", that would be a rather small crowd of players, compared to the massive amounts that look for quest mods, new land mods, and overhaul mods.

I hope that this, along with what others have posted, will clear up your confusion about the issue.
flamingsora wrote: there are few follower mods out there i actually love or enjoy/appreciate. im not into the eyecandy hot/sexy looking followers just like all op have said. ones taht stick out for me are cerdwen, inigo, arrissa, mirai, sophia (despite how unlorefriendly she can be sometimes), and the recent ambriel...some of these followers i hope to see hit sse soon...they are very much needed.

i myself want to make a follower similar to the above but i have to start small like ICA said...so for now my mod just tweaks an exisiting boss fight...and yus i want to make him into a follower with an in depth friendship/rivalry system similar to arissa but have as much dialogue and unique peronality like inigo. ill get there someday. :)
sleepytigereyes wrote: Thank you for your input and putting up with my own criticism, sometimes I get carried away. I digress, and hope that I did put a bug in the ears that would like to hear what others have to say. Certainly nothing personal. I am enamored by so many modders out there that can do so much like house mods and outfits/armors for example and get so little credit for all the hours and hard work.

Please, accept my gratitude. It's been a pleasure. :D

I use follower mods, I need them to carry all the loot for the Museum armour galleries :3

I pretty much agree with what others said, I want a follower that feels like they belong in TES and not in an anime show or some magazine.

Great interview guys! Thanks for the advice on top mods too. I have FAR too many mods (it is nearly impossible to cut down as I simply love too many), but the biggest problem is the massive perk overhaul which is a pain to load and then dominates everything (you know the one!). I do love it, but it is def worth thinking of trying one of the simpler overhauls and I've somehow missed SPERG completely (for some reason Ordinator does not appeal, but I should probably be more open-minded).

Keep up the good modding work Ice, and interviewing Blind Judge!

Thank you for what you said about Bethesda,I knew that was how they saw the whole mods thing (though they say different) and saw very little about the subject through the years. I knew they were false about what they were saying in a Bethesda interview I saw long ago About Oblivion and mods....Wish I cold find that interview to post but it was a red light on how they really felt ....It was clear to me they wanted someway of cashing in on this and wanted the idea of having mods as their own .....it was something that happened under their nose they wish they thought of......

I see this as the future of games....and wish more RPG's were made with intent of adding things to the world space. Thanks to ALL modders,we have never ending games....What could be more fun than that?.....

And icecreamassassin ,great interview!!!! And thank you for what you do.....

In response to post #46214200.

kenmorlock wrote: Thank you for what you said about Bethesda,I knew that was how they saw the whole mods thing (though they say different) and saw very little about the subject through the years. I knew they were false about what they were saying in a Bethesda interview I saw long ago About Oblivion and mods....Wish I cold find that interview to post but it was a red light on how they really felt ....It was clear to me they wanted someway of cashing in on this and wanted the idea of having mods as their own .....it was something that happened under their nose they wish they thought of......
I see this as the future of games....and wish more RPG's were made with intent of adding things to the world space. Thanks to ALL modders,we have never ending games....What could be more fun than that?.....
And icecreamassassin ,great interview!!!! And thank you for what you do.....

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong I appreciate the fact they make the game, it's an awesome platform to work with overall, but they really are pretty two faced about the modding community. They like to say good things and "yay for you" sort of stuff because it's good PR to do so (the gaming world equivalent of baby kissing), but their actions just don't follow what their public mouth is saying, and it's unfortunate. I do tend to shoot from the hip and speak out pretty loudly and openly and not with as much decorum as I probably should, but it does get frustrating.

I think really what will happen is we will see a few more incarnations of poorly thought out big ideas that are awesome in theory but executed horribly on Bethesda's part and some other new game company is going to come out of nowhere with a hit game that latches onto the true potential in modding that allows it to still be a freely shared element but has more potential for spreading the wealth into the community who works so hard to build and expand the game beyond it's original basis, and it could crush Bethesda's chance to really capitalize on it. Sort of like a shareware model which proved time and time again to be a marketable method for distribution that turned a profit. It will be an interesting couple years I think.