PipBoy - equippimg problem

Alral

Good day,

I am working on a mod for Fallout NV. In this mod, the PC (player character) is supposed to lose pipboy at one point (it should be become both invisible and inaccessible), and retrieve it later.

In order to preserve the pipboy independent of what model it is (or maybe one added by mod), I am saving the pipboy reference, which I get from GetEquippedObject, to a variable in a quest script. Then I remove it, addressing not the item ID, but the ref variable.

Removal had problems as well, but I got around it using the RemoveItemTarget function.

set upipboy to player.GetEquippedObject 6;

player.RemoveItemTarget upipboy

Seems to be working fine. The pipboy is removed, although the sound still exists while trying to open it,

But when I am trying to recall it back, using the same variable, there start the problems.

The variable is certainly not empty or invalid, cause when I add a printtoconsole with %n upipboy, the PipBoy name is retrieved correctly.

Adding itself works fine, I can see it in player.ShowInventory. I can equip it via the console.

But when I am trying to equip it from GECK, using the same variable, Fallout crashes to desktop.

player.AddItem upipboy 1; Seems to be working
player.EquipItem upipboy; Crashes here

I tried using EquipItemAlt instead of the default function. No luck, the result is the same.

What may I be doing wrong? Is it possible to work around?

Thanks.

EDIT:

It seems that EquipItem is simply not working on PipBoy. I cannot equip even a simple PipBoy by its base-id. So what shall I be using instead?

EDIT2:

I finally found a workaround. As far as I understand, PipBoy for some reason cannot be equipped in GameMode.

The easiest way (if not considering adding it in a conversation, etc). which might not be always suitable would be to add some menu in front.

player.srm;
            player.AddItem upipboy 1;
            player.EquipItem upipboy;
            ResetPipBoyManager
            con_closeallmenus;

Seems to be working so far. Although I wonder whether there is a smarter solution...

Edited by Alral