RGB codes for better looking black hair?

lloydcousland

Hello lloydcousland

My first question is, did you already tried this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/83/?

I often use this Website http://www.color-hex.com/ to find the colors or similar pages and I have mostly success with it. It's just important which basic color you used, depending on the color varies the result.

( I always use "20 Solid Black" for a darker black )

thanks for the reply

i would have tried that mod but i ran into this problem after i started a new game. I have been using similar sites to the one you mentioned, but cannot seem to get a decent, natural looking black like loghain or blackwall. i could just keep experimenting i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

The mod works with the Black Emporium.

If you can't get Black Emporium to run with your mods, simply move your mod patch, the "Patch_ModManagerMerge" Folder, outside of the "Update" folder, I move it outside the game folder, to be sure it's not involved.

Load the save in vanilla, if it won't load. and claims the save is for newer game version, you need to edit the "package.mft" file in the vanilla patch folder, using a text editor, like notepad, by changing version from 12 to 13, or whatever version is in ths mod patches equivalent file.

Vanilla File is in "Patch" Folder

Name patch
Authoritative
Version 12

Modded File is in "Patch_ModManagerMerge" Folder

Name patch
Authoritative
Version 13
ModManager v0.59 alpha

Then use the tool to change the hair colour, while BE character screen is running. Without changing the hair and/or colour used, in game, to get the desired result with your reapplied modded game, and make a new save outside BE, back at Skyhold is fine.

Undo the changes to version, if used, and move mod patch folder back. Then load the new save, and get new colour with your hair choice.

Tinkering with the manual, option of the tool shows the hex values are not standard 2 digit RGB values, they are 4 digit.
Many values seem to make no changes, the provided colours are all I could make work.

Using the tool is the simplest option, even mid playthrough, with Black Emporium.

Failing that, you can view the mods source code to deduce the correct hex values, it uses the Cheat Engine to perform the tasks.

The DAIHairRecolorUtility.CT file contains a Lua script, readable in Notepad++.

UDF1_CERadioGroup1 index 0 to 5, is the Choose Race and Gender offsets, and the UDF1_CEComboBox1 Index gives the various entries for the premade colours, it's more than enough to do manual hex editing, if required.

You're using the save chunk editor I assume? I've made a lot of inquisitors with black hair and I've had a really hard time nailing good natural-looking blacks as well. Here are the color values for the characters you asked after. Hopefully they help.

Blackwall: HairColor X 0.027 Y 0.020 Z 0.015 Spec1Colour X 0.300 Y 0 Z 0 Spec2Colour X 0.038 Y 0.026 Z 0.017

Loghain: HairColor X 0.026 Y 0.027 Z 0.033 Spec1Colour X 0.272 Y 0.272 Z 0.272 Spec2Colour X 0.521 Y 0.513 Z 0.498

Converted from float that should be:

Blackwall: HairColor R 7 G 5 B 4 Spec1Colour R 77 G 0 B 0 Spec2Colour R 10 G 7 B 4

Loghain: HairColor R 7 G 7 B 8 Spec1Colour R 69 G 69 B 69 Spec2Colour R 132 G 131 B 127

Loghain's spec 2 seems real light to me but what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No the tool we are discussing, is the DAI Hair Recolour Utility, which is actually a Cheat Engine Table, using a Lua Script.

I assume Save Chunk Editor, means the DAI CLI Save Editor, I've not tried that, only needing hair colour, with Black Emporium doing the rest, the GUI of the above tool was all I needed.

A DAI Single (Mod Maker type name) floating point to hex conversion tool, would be useful, I've yet to figure out how to get the right 4 hex chunk except by copying another example.

Not seen anything like that, and your post hints at such a feature.

i tried editing the rgb values with a save editor

could anyone provide me with rgb values that would make my inquisitor's hair look like blackwall's or loghain's?

Excuse you but I answered the question exactly as stated. I've used the Cheat Engine table too but OP wasn't the one who brought that up.

Nothing in my post implies anything to do with float to hex conversion, either. Float to RGB conversion is as simple as multiplying the float by 255.

Edited by starrarte

• 6 months later...

Black Hair Nearly Identical To Cassandra:

After searching a bit to find values for the DAI CLI Save Editor to give my Inquisitor a darker shade of black that wasn't quite such a shiny bluish-grey, I decided to just tinker with the values on my own to try and replicate Cassandra's more appealing colour. Using option 3 to manually edit, I came up with the following values that are much more satisfactory in replication.

Here are the values you may wish to use if interested:

EYEBROW COLOR RED: 0.0063
EYEBROW COLOR GREEN: 0.0063
EYEBROW COLOR BLUE: 0.0083

HAIR COLOR RED: 0.0063
HAIR COLOR GREEN: 0.0063
HAIR COLOR BLUE: 0.0083

HAIR SPEC1 COLOR RED: 0.020
HAIR SPEC1 COLOR GREEN: 0.020
HAIR SPEC1 COLOR BLUE: 0.025

HAIR SPEC2 COLOR RED: 0.030
HAIR SPEC2 COLOR GREEN: 0.030
HAIR SPEC2 COLOR BLUE: 0.035

These values approximate the black of Cassandra's hair very well and also maintain a bit of luster and shine but reduced. If you view your Inquisitor in the same lighting as Cassandra, I believe you'll be quite happy with the results. Hopefully some of you find this helps with the look of your Inquisitor.