PC Soundsets in the Toolset

hardarg

Hello,

I've been familiarizing myself with the toolset for quite some time, so far I've successfully worked with custom meshes and animation and imported them in game. This time I am curious with how sounds work in the tooleset and are implemented in the game, but I'm stumped with where and how to start.

Right now I'm working on a test project: a custom sound set for my PC. So far I already have the sounds in .wav format, and I've also created a dlg file in the same structure and settings as the vanilla soundset files.

I've read on the wiki, I would need to use FMod for sounds, but I'm confused with what it is for and how it is done. :(

Unless you want to implement environmental sound and/ or music it should not be necessary to create a FMOD project. I haven´t created a custom soundset before but this is the way I would take:

- create a copy from the player_soundset_template

- optional: generate vo placeholders for the new dlg in the conversation editor

- rename the recorded wav files according to the stringIDs of the lines

(mandatory audio format and naming convention see http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Voice-Over)

- optional: replace the placeholders

- (re-)run 'generate VO' - output: a fsb file

- rename the fsb file, should have a 'ss_' as prefix by convention

- optional: preview the fsb file if it includes still any placeholder vo

- create a new player character (s. folder global)

- map the soundset

- map the fxa name override according to the chosen race and gender

Finally I would recommend to have a look in the ss_types.xls (folder tools) to get to know more about soundsets ( probability and probability modifiers) and which lines are used in the character creator.

It seems that you have done already the major part. Good luck! Feel free to ask if you need more info.

Many thanks YaraC, I've got a good headstart thanks to you. I didn't realize there was a naming convention for the audio files, anyway I got it done and finally have a working fsb file. :)

I didn't know that I had to make a Character file as well, I have a question what does FXA override do? I'm not sure what to put in there, is there a specific naming convention there as well?

I am glad to hear about your progress.

FXA files contain the bone defintions for lip synch and facial animations. Running 'Generate VO' creates already a basic facial animation.

The naming convention is [race][gender].fxa, e.g. humanmale.fxa or elffemale.fxa.

In the character\global folder you can find several character defintions, 6 for each race and gender.