Keeping Settlements Happy

Sakabato

Any mod out there or any modder who could make a mod that stops settlements from loosing their happiness? Or atleast decrease at a much lower rate so that you don't have to constantly be worried about each of your 20 settlements all the time, where in each one of them the 20 settlers who live there can't even be bothered to raise their own crops or get their own water. They should be more than happy about having a place to stay in the wastelands.

No mod needed; you just suck at settlement management. It's not as hard as it seems.

As long as you've got the basics (food, water, beds, and defense), you should be unable to loose happiness. Other items, like shops, will boost happiness, but with the four basics, settlement happiness should never drop below 50.

Just remember to plant at least 20 beds to support a maximum population. That's a lot easier than it sounds. The sleeping bags (second to the right of the "Furniture > Beds" menu; they only require 3 cloth) take up the least amount of space; you can fit four of the sleeping bags onto a single floor tile. Even in the smallest settlements, you'll have plenty of room for even more sleeping bags in case you wish to buff your charisma (and therefore, your maximum population) up beyond 10.

Have 12 each of mutfruit, corn, and tato, and you'll have a replenishing supply of vegetable starch (for adhesive) and that will produce 24 food to feed even the maximum population of settlements.

Individual water pumps produce 3 water, so 7 of them would give you enough water for maximum population and they take up about a quarter the space of a floor tile (or the same space as a small floor). If you're in a settlement that has even a small body of water (like Starlight Drive-In), a single Industrial Water Purifier will singlehandedly provide twice as much water as is needed to support an entire population.

Defense is a little trickier, because settlements need a little more than just "one per population." To avoid a happiness penalty, you need to add the total amount of food and water being produced by that settlement, and have at least that much defense. So in the above scenario, you would need at least 45 defense to avoid a happiness drop, or 64 if you use an industrial water purifier.

You'll need even higher defense to reduce the chances of your settlements being attacked. But that's a lot easier than it sounds. If you have gun nut rank 1, you can spam heavy machinegun turrets around the perimeter of your settlement to boost your defense rating well past 500 defense for the larger settlements.

For the smaller settlements like Tempines Bluff, you can circumvent the size by A) creating a starcase (found in "Structures > Wood > Stairs") and creating a perimeter of floor tiles, giving you more room for perimeter turrets. These floor tiles will snap to each other, even if there's no ground underneath them, so you can have an entire perimeter of magic floating floor tiles with turrets on them. If you insist on not doing that because it feels like a cheat, then you can hold out for missile turrets.

If you have Gun Nut Rank 3, it will take a mere 67 missile turrets to raise your defense rating up to its maximum value of 999. You'll also need 134 power for all those turrets, but you can acquire that much just by making a measly two fusion generators. If you don't have the Wasteland Workshop DLC, then perhaps one of these mods would suit you:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3687/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1029/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9376/?

From then on, just make sure that you plant all the food, water, beds, and defense you'll need, the FIRST time you take control of a settlement, BEFORE reporting back to Preston. As new settlers come in, they will usually automatically assign themselves to farming if there are any unassigned crops, so you won't need to worry about returning to your settlements to re-assign them unless you're assigning them to merchant stands or something. Defense posts and artillery need people assigned, but they aren't necessary if you use turret spamming, and since turrets are necessary for getting your settlements up to "safe from attack" levels, you'll be doing turret spamming anyway, making defense posts and artillery completely worthless.

Just make sure all the basics are taken care of before you leave, and everything else will fall into place on its own.

Just remember: Before you return to the settlement to report your success, take an inventory and make sure you have the following components in order to build all the basics.

31 Gears
20 Screw
46 Copper
50 Aluminum
12 Nuclear Material
18 Crystal
5 Rubber
7 Concrete
3 Ceramic
2 Circuitry
38 Steel

12 corn

12 Mutfruit

12 Tato

That list also includes the components needed to build a recruitment beacon.

If you have extra wood & steel on hand, you could also consider building a "barracks" (for lack of a better term) of 5 or 6 shack floors to place the sleeping bags. While having beds period will prevent happiness from dropping, having the beds under a roof will boost happiness.

Edited by stebbinsd

No mod needed; you just suck at settlement management.

Good way to start a comment...

I build settlements because I like creating something that has a post-apocaliptic look and feel to it. I never build a single turret, I only put people on guard duty. Most of my settlements are supposed to be small and have people living in crappy conditions, because, you know, it's a post-apocaliptic setting after all, having a place to cover you from radioactive rain, even if you have to sleep on the floor and having a group of people who can cover your ass is better than most would have it in such a situation. Only a few of my settlements have shops, enough beds for everyone, enough defence and so on. Places like Sanctuary, The Castle and 2 or 3 others. Those are basically the "main settlements". I never worry about those, they are supposed to be like that. Another thing to consider, I use mods that raise the ammount of settlers, so, for example, in Sanctuary I have around 50 settlers, in The Castle I have 30, other places have around 10-15 some a few more. If I play by the game's rules, which means, doing the things you just said, I won't have the same experience. But then again, if I do it the way I want it, I'll keep loosing settlements because the npc's are designed to behave like "economic migrants" instead of "refugees". They don't act like someone who feels blessed by having a more or less safe place to be, they want to have 4 meals a day, indulge in their materialistic needs and feel 100% safe all the time.

That's why I asked for such a mod, so that I can roleplay the way I like. I find a safe place, build a tiny shanty-town that looks realistic, with a few houses, a few beds, some food, some water, the basics for it to look like a place where people can actually live(put some folks working so that it looks like the settlers are actually the ones organizing the place) and that's it, go on in my merry way, scouting, looking for food and ammo, running a few errands for folks who can pay me, like everyone else who is living in Fallout is expected to if they want to stay alive, instead of bitching all day long and expecting a single person to give them absolutely everything :smile: It makes you wonder(in a roleplaying perspective) how were all of these people able to survive on their own till they became adults :smile:

Edited by Sakabato

Most of my settlements are supposed to be small and have people living in crappy conditions, because, you know, it's a post-apocaliptic setting after all, having a place to cover you from radioactive rain, even if you have to sleep on the floor and having a group of people who can cover your ass is better than most would have it in such a situation. Only a few of my settlements have shops, enough beds for everyone, enough defence and so on

You purposefully half-ass your settlement building, and then complain when you don't get enough score?

Isn't that kind of like when you purposefully only do half your homework, and then complain when you get a 50%, or an F, on your grade?

If you aren't giving people enough resources to satisfy their needs, what do you expect, other than for their happiness to match their living conditions? That's called "realism."

Most of my settlements are supposed to be small and have people living in crappy conditions, because, you know, it's a post-apocaliptic setting after all, having a place to cover you from radioactive rain, even if you have to sleep on the floor and having a group of people who can cover your ass is better than most would have it in such a situation. Only a few of my settlements have shops, enough beds for everyone, enough defence and so on

You purposefully half-ass your settlement building, and then complain when you don't get enough score?

Isn't that kind of like when you purposefully only do half your homework, and then complain when you get a 50%, or an F, on your grade?

If you aren't giving people enough resources to satisfy their needs, what do you expect, other than for their happiness to match their living conditions? That's called "realism."

Oh my god dude, seriously, if you can't be of any help why comment on someone's post just to be a dushbag?

No it's not called realism, it's not realistic, anywhere in the world, for one person to take care of the needs of an entire comunity, let alone dozens of them. Settlers should be able to take care of themselves. But enough of this, I came here asking for some help with a mod or atleast someone who could point me in the right direction by telling me how I could mod that myself, not for some jackass to start arguing with me about the way I play.

This wasn't about getting 100 happiness with every settlement or anything, just to keep it stable, instead of constantly dropping.

Edited by Sakabato

solution is simple add happiness to any item you build in your settlement, lets say a chair add happiness to it give it the value off 100 and they are always happy

look at the pommelhorse/ pickmeup and other things tat add happiness by default and you see wat you need to add to make every 1 happy

lil side note if you lets say add 100 happiness to any item and you build it before you get any settler the happiness will jump to 100 when the first settler arrive

best way to use it is build it after you have 2-3 settlers then your happiness keep rising

Edited by speedynl

solution is simple add happiness to any item you build in your settlement, lets say a chair add happiness to it give it the value off 100 and they are always happy

look at the pommelhorse/ pickmeup and other things tat add happiness by default and you see wat you need to add to make every 1 happy

lil side note if you lets say add 100 happiness to any item and you build it before you get any settler the happiness will jump to 100 when the first settler arrive

best way to use it is build it after you have 2-3 settlers then your happiness keep rising

Wow Thanks a lot :) Finally a helpful comment. I'll do that :)