EVERYONE Has Discolored Heads/Bodies

shuuchi

Four days ago, I started fiddling around with NPC Visual Transfer tool. And now everyone, literately every NPC, has either discolored heads/bodies or neck seams, albeit relatively minor ones.

My mod setup/order has been working fine for years and the only things I've installed in the last few days were NiOverride, an update for MHIYH and the NPC Visual Transfer tool. I have some basic knowledge with the CK and tes5edit, but nothing related to meshes and textures.

If anyone could shed some light on my conundrum, it'll be greatly appreciated, mainly, what files can have such a massive impact over all the NPCs in the entire game (both male and female, modded and vanilla)?

Edited by shuuchi

Reinstall your body/skin mods. Somehow this mod you are using likely has deleted or overridden them with potentially corrupt files or something not compatible with what you are using. Black face is due to textures being missed on the body, so that means likely that they aren't there or are being overridden. It's likely that your female .nifs are gone or messed up

Reinstall your body/skin mods. Somehow this mod you are using likely has deleted or overridden them with potentially corrupt files or something not compatible with what you are using. Black face is due to textures being missed on the body, so that means likely that they aren't there or are being overridden. It's likely that your female .nifs are gone or messed up

Here are a few screenshots.

The discoloration/neck seams are a lot less severe compared to the traditional ones, but manages to trigger my OCD non-the-less.

Need to look real close to see it on the first two, but Recorder really shows it off.

I've already tried several clean reinstalls, overwriting with old backups, etc. but none of it worked, as it affects the entire game, even standalone followers.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/shuuchi/NPC%20Visual%20Transfer%20Female%20NPC_zpscc8n7yfd.jpg

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/shuuchi/Vanilla%20Male%20NPC_zps8cedz50o.jpg

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/shuuchi/Recorder%20Overhaul_zps4ofcgtqi.jpg

P.S.: if anyone could tell me how to fix the dirty/brown face on recorder (it stays brown even after a clean reinstall), I would appreciate it, as she is the most prominent one of them all.

Edited by shuuchi

Looks like texture mismatch between face and body texture. This means, something (probably your visuals mod) has changed texture sets for NPCs. All you can do to get the original look back is to reinstall body / texture mods as well as standalone NPCs.

If simply reinstalling doesn't fix it,you might have some old data still stored in your skyrim directory. In this case, go to /Skyrim/Data/textures/actors/character/YOURFOLLOWERSNAME. Manually delete those folders. Do the same in /Skyrim/Data/textures/actors/character/FaceGEndata/FaceTint/YOURFOLLOWERSNAME. Also remove any data, that may be left over in /Skyrim/Data/MESHES/actors/character/YOURFOLLOWERSNAME and /Skyrim/Data/MESHES/actors/character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/YOURFOLLOWERSNAME. The paths I gave you are just the standard paths. Some mods might uses different folders - but you should be able to find them, if you know what you're looking for. After manually deleting those folders, reinstall. I know, it's a long and tedious process.

Good luck!

Edited by Algabar

I also noticed your enb isn't working properly. Make sure you made the necessary skyrimprefs changes. If you are using NMM, go to your mydocuments/mygames/skyrim folder and open skyrimprefs.ini and follow the enb changes on your enb preset page. Generally they are something like this:

[Display]
iMaxAnisotropy=0
iMultiSample=0
bFloatPointRenderTarget=1
bShadowsOnGrass=1
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawShadows=1

If there is a 1 and it needs to be a zero, change it. If it is a 0 and needs to be a 1, don't be afraid to alter it. Also, make sure you save.

If you are using Mod organizer, go to your ini editor and do this there under the skyrimprefs.ini tab.

Looks like texture mismatch between face and body texture. This means, something (probably your visuals mod) has changed texture sets for NPCs. All you can do to get the original look back is to reinstall body / texture mods as well as standalone NPCs.

If simply reinstalling doesn't fix it,you might have some old data still stored in your skyrim directory. In this case, go to /Skyrim/Data/textures/actors/character/YOURFOLLOWERSNAME. Manually delete those folders. Do the same in /Skyrim/Data/textures/actors/character/FaceGEndata/FaceTint/YOURFOLLOWERSNAME. Also remove any data, that may be left over in /Skyrim/Data/MESHES/actors/character/YOURFOLLOWERSNAME and /Skyrim/Data/MESHES/actors/character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/YOURFOLLOWERSNAME. The paths I gave you are just the standard paths. Some mods might uses different folders - but you should be able to find them, if you know what you're looking for. After manually deleting those folders, reinstall. I know, it's a long and tedious process.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, that's one of the first things I did. Also, Recorder comes in BSA + BSL packages, so there is nothing leftover once I uninstall.

You can see the neckseam more clearly in this screenshot, after I removed the files from the Recorder Overhaul.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/shuuchi/Recorder%20Original%20Neckseam_zpscokjdmnl.jpg

Edited by shuuchi

I also noticed your enb isn't working properly. Make sure you made the necessary skyrimprefs changes. If you are using NMM, go to your mydocuments/mygames/skyrim folder and open skyrimprefs.ini and follow the enb changes on your enb preset page. Generally they are something like this:

[Display]

iMaxAnisotropy=0

iMultiSample=0

bFloatPointRenderTarget=1

bShadowsOnGrass=1

bTreesReceiveShadows=1

bDrawShadows=1

If there is a 1 and it needs to be a zero, change it. If it is a 0 and needs to be a 1, don't be afraid to alter it. Also, make sure you save.

If you are using Mod organizer, go to your ini editor and do this there under the skyrimprefs.ini tab.

Thanks for noticing, I've fixed that after taking the screenshots. Skyrim's video settings were reset when I logged on to steam from my old laptop which didn't have an enb installed.

The neckseams appeared long before however, and not just on Recorder, but on every single NPC in the game. She's just one of the most prominent ones, not to mention that it doesn't make sense, as her files are all tucked away in a package.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/shuuchi/20161228153410_1_zpsrfm9vdgm.jpg

Though, with that said, I'm starting to think it might be a mesh problem, as textures are not the files that handle lighting.

Edited by shuuchi

What are all the mods you have that edit the body meshes/textures?

What is your body mod?

What skin mods are you using?

Are you using a face texture?

Are you using an NPC or character overhaul for appearance mod?

I have cbbe for models and textures, nothing else.

I have SOGS and Bijin Warmaidens for NPCs, never had any problems with these until now.

On a side note, I just did a clean reinstall. And when I say clean, I mean CLEAN clean - it's even on a laptop that never had skyrim before.

But the neckseams still appear, albeit only on Recorder since she's the only follower mod I have installed at the moment.

UPDATE: everything standalone gets a neck seam, even standalone custom races. Lydia went back to normal, so long as Bijin Warmaidens is not installed. However, I have found one exception: Arissa. She's the only standalone follower that doesn't get a neck seam and I have absolutely no idea why.

UPDATE2: no body mods, no skeletons; not a single mod aside from recorder and sofia. Both have tiny neckseams - no discoloring anymore, however.

Edited by shuuchi