[WIPz] Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64)

behippo

A Tale of Two Skyrims

Thus begins the chronicle De historia tesquinque:

"Once upon a time in the far off land of the Bethegoths there was a hamlet named Tesquinque (shown as TESV on ancient maps). From humble hamlet beginnings Tesquinque grew into Oldrim - the most powerful, majestic, opulent, and modded city-state in all of Bethegothdom.

Many of Oldrim's citizens thought it to be a city blessed by the gods, because did not the great spirit SKSE dwell in their midst? Did not the Word of SKSE, the holy SRC and Scripts, reside in Oldrim in the care of the mysterious and reclusive SKSEic monks? Did not SKSE grant Oldrim powers and riches beyond that of any other city-state?

However, all was not well in Oldrim. As the city grew it became apparent that the foundations of the city were unstable. Oldrim's thirty-two foundation piers could no longer support the full weight of the modular expansion of the city. Furthermore, there was tension between the PC nobility and the console plebeians. By some inscrutable decision of the Bethegoth gods, the plebeians were denied access to mods. Among the latter this fostered envy and resentment. Among the nobility this fostered a haughty disdain for the plight of the less fortunate.

Many grew fearful and cried out to SKSE for help. But what could the great spirit SKSE do? Although powerful, SKSE was a lesser deity with only the power to script but not the power to create. Hence SKSE could work only with the materials that the Bethegoth gods had already provided. But if the Oldrim materials were inferior at the outset, then there was only so much SKSE could do to mitigate that.

Hearing the cries of a distraught citizenry, the Bethegoth gods took counsel among themselves. Chief among the gods was Deus Economicus, who was especially touched by the plight of the console plebeians. He urged that a new city be built on sixty-four mighty foundation pillars and that the plebeians also have modding rights and privileges. And so it was that the city-state of Newrim came into being.

Newrim was enthusiastically welcomed by the console crowd, who raced to its gates. Within they found exclusively plebeian market places where they could gorge themselves on all manner of mod delicacies.

Many nobility also welcomed the new opportunities that Newrim offered. Stable foundations and the blessings of SKSE - what more could one ask for? The nobility put up with console riff-raff because they knew that the blessings of SKSE belonged to them and to them alone. They remembered that the SKSEic monks had harnessed the divine energies of the SKSE spirit to bring untold wealth and blessing to Oldrim. They believed that those same energies would be harnessed on their behalf in Newrim through SKSE's latest epiphany - SKSE64.

Months passed with little communication from the SKSEic monks. Waiting turned into patient waiting, then anxious waiting, then hand wringing waiting, and then wailing and the gnashing of teeth waiting. Rumors began to circulate that the monks had ceased their intercessory work with the SKSE spirit and had retreated into their monastery for a season of contemplation and prayer. Other rumors circulated that the monks had abandoned the land of the Bethegoths forever.

As a result, PC nobility solidarity began to crumble. Some nobles refused to set foot in Newrim until the great SKSE64 made its appearance. Others moved to Newrim in the hope that SKSE64 would eventually appear. And yet others abandoned the SKSE cultus altogether and settled in Newrim to enjoy a newfound stability.

Oldrim continues to flourish to this day owing to the mighty presence of SKSE and a worshipful band of SKSE loyalists. Although bereft of SKSE64, Newrim also flourishes as the plebeians find new riches and opportunities denied them in Oldrim and hardy members of the nobility savor a stability lacking in Oldrim."

Thus ends the Chronicle.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically, the Havok-Physics-everything is not, strictly speaking, dependent on SKSE at all.

Rather, it uses SKSE as a loader.

Maybe at my next job contract change I will re-write it, if I am up to the task. The language I see online isn't terribly challenging. But there is so much of it... And I've never written for a latency-intolerant application like a game before. Before you get your hopes up, please realize that this would have a steep learning curve for me.

But with that said... I don't find the code all that challenging. I am more concerned whether the interfaces of the havoc engine in SE are the same.

But what about SKYUI???

What about all the other mods?

It is not about the destination. It is about the experiences gained on the path to the destination.

The Skyrim environment has many experiences yet to impart... And, yes, that even includes the X-rated ones. They, too, are telling you something about the nature of humanity and the world.

Virtuality as a mode of life-learning has something to say, I think.

The next best thing to SKSE64 may be coming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6e9e7a/i_dont_want_to_get_your_hopes_up_but_windows_10/

The memory problems that were a big reason for CTDs in Oldrim may finally be addressed, by Microsoft no less. Specifically, the 4 GB VRAM cap. As one poster on Reddit put it:

For me, this would be the biggest Skyrim modding news of 2017 if this happens.

No more missing Windows 7 for its ENB memory usage. No more bugging the SKSE64 team for something they don't owe me in the first place. This...this would almost literally solve everything for me.

Oldrim in 2017 - with no regrets.

Edited by aristotle99

Personally the only mods I miss are the "Racemenu" character creation mod (so much easier to work with) and "AdditemMenu" (which is useful during mod testing).

I'm sure the lack the racemenu mod is bothering a few other people as well, the standard chargen menu just doesn't have the same flexibility and options.

Pretty much yea, especially since all the mods ive ever wanted are already in my oldrim folder

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6e9e7a/i_dont_want_to_get_your_hopes_up_but_windows_10/

The memory problems that were a big reason for CTDs in Oldrim may finally be addressed, by Microsoft no less. Specifically, the 4 GB VRAM cap. As one poster on Reddit put it:

No more missing Windows 7 for its ENB memory usage. No more bugging the SKSE64 team for something they don't owe me in the first place. This...this would almost literally solve everything for me.

The cell memory limitations will still be there, and the game is far less stable. Oldrim also doesn't have BC7 compression support among many other things. Oldrim is obsolete, even with no SKSE64.

Edited by Zeridian

Um...The problem with No Man's Sky was TOO MUCH talking to the community.

People got their expectations up by hanging on to every word that was ever spoken about the game, so the game was never going to live up to the hype that people had built around it.

Until someone from the SKSE team actually comes in and says the project is officially abandoned due to real life or anything else, all this talk about it being abandoned is just rumor-mongering and nothing more.

behippo could come in here tomorrow with links to the official launch of SKSE64 for all we know.

He could come in here to say the project is dead as well.

Point is, we don't know either way.

All this pessimism towards the SKSE team is pointless and rude until they actually tell us something other than what we already know: Work is slow due to IRL issues as well as figuring out all the changes.

With summer just around the corner, it's plausible that work could speed up form the team members that are still going to school/college.

Again I will reiterate the hypocrisy of people talking about taking over the project because they think it's dead, yet talking about finding someone to take over an old mod because it's author hasn't been around for years is taboo.

You'll all get your jiggly parts and elaborate menus/effects soon enough.

SE is fine without it in the meantime. If you choose to deprive yourself of playing SE because of a few mods that rely on SKSE, then that's your problem, not the SKSE team's.

For me it would not, i cannot play oldrim with mods withouth ctds, i can play Skyrim SE with more than 140 mods and have no ctd, i will not play it withouth skse tho, so that is sad ;/ even on windowns 7 the game crash too much.

Edited by Panda492