Copying interior/exterior cells between .esp's?

SGTbayk47

Hey everyone,

I'm currently making a mod, and was wondering if it's possible to copy some cells I have previously made in another .esp, to a new .esp without having to rely on the .esp as master file once the process is finished.

Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so could they tell me how I would achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

BayK.

you can use FNVedit to move the cells from one esp to another. but for the love of god do not try to duplicate world spaces in GECK, it will flip you off and crash just to spite you. LOL

here's the link to the FNVEdit manual so you can look it over.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/38413/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D38413&pUp=1

Edited by JoKelly

If you're comfortable doing it in the GECK, do it that way. You can easily remove unnecessary masters with FNVEdit without much prior knowledge after you're done, as well as any cells that were marked as edited (It does this to things you copy for some reason. Don't ask why.)

I don't know of any way to duplicate exterior world spaces (if anyone does know, please enlighten me).

I tend to use the GECK to duplicate cells instead of using FNVEdit. In the GECK, load up the esp with the cell you want but don't make it active, while loading the esp that you want the cell to end up in as the active mod. Then just right click on the cell and select Duplicate Cell. It will give the duplicate a name of whatever the cell name is plus COPY (or something like that). If there are any objects in the cell that are unique to the mod you are copying it from or come from one of its masters that you don't want to include, delete those out of the copied cell. Then save your esp. Do not add items to the cell or do anything else other than duplicate it or the GECK can sometimes get confused and it will bork everything up. Just duplicate the cell, remove anything you don't want in your new esp, and save. That's it. Exit and reload, and maybe rename the cell so that it doesn't have the word COPY in it, and then edit it to your heart's desire.

This will end up including master files from the original esp in your new esp, so if you don't want them, just delete them from the GECK data screen when you select your mod. If you accidentally left in something from one of those masters in your copied cell, deleting the master will screw up your mod.

I'm sure FNVEdit works fine, just giving you an alternative. There are a lot of things that FNVEdit and the GECK can both do, they just do it differently. Which one you choose to use is a matter of personal preference. I tend to use the GECK more often.

The GECK only includes a file as a resource if it's a master file. If you load an esp, the GECK won't treat it as a master. The GECK will automatically add any master files that the other esp loaded since those will all be loaded into your new editing session when you load both esp files.

Edited by madmongo

I managed to add the cells using FNVEdit, as when I tried to use the GECK and copy the cells, it added the .esp I was copying from as a master and wouldn't let me remove it.

I instead deleted everything from the .esp to be copied bar the cells and worldspace edits, and then merged said .esp into my current mod .esp, which worked successfully without any unnecessary master files.

when I tried to use the GECK and copy the cells, it added the .esp I was copying from as a master and wouldn't let me remove it.

when you open first open GECK and set your Active file, check the right window it show your list of Masters for that ESP. if you click on one you don't want you can right mouse button and delete it from the list. "assuming you've already cleaned up all the links between your ESP and the master." That's how I do it.

The Trick is to make an .esp first ... only dependent on the main master file. Save and close it.

Then open the geck adding the other files you want to use assets. With your new .esp as the active.

And in my opinion ... the best way to make a new file ... is to drop something in the render window , then save and name the file. So loading a cell first is needed ... I suggest Wasteland cell / Springvale.

But I am sure many many other's work just fine.

Whoops ... this is NV ... so Good Springs be the cell.

You of course can delete it later ;/

Edited by Mktavish