Is a GPU Upgrade going to get me anywhere?

hellfire28

Community,

I currently have an R9 390 on my system and I, like most, play with an excessive amount of mods and utilize ENB. The issue I have is that, despite my best efforts, my FPS are all over the place in outdoor environments and but generally range from 20-45 (with indoor environments running 60-100+). I play only in 1080P at 60Hz. I know a lot of this has to do with the nature of the engine, memory limits, ENB workarounds, etc. My question is that if I upgrade my GPU - say to a GTX1070 (with the 1080 out of the question for now) will that have a meaningful effect/impact on playing modded skyrim vs. the R9 390? I know I will save on power consumption but is it worth the cost and hassle? Success, to me, would be running 40+ FPS in outdoor environments and never really falling below that.

I will only upgrade for Skyrim as the R9 390 kills any other game I throw at it at 1080P.

Thanks for all your help!

System:

CPU: AMD FX 8370 @4.1gz

GPU: R9 390

Memory: 16GB

Many bench-marking sites claim that the 1070 is approximately 40% to 50% better performance overall compared to the R9 390. Here an example. Be sure to click the "390" tab to get it off the 390X to see the proper comparison.

Take these sites with the proverbial grain of salt as they rely on advertising (often from GPU makers) for financing the site.

However, given that you use mods (and presumably texture-heavy ones) and ENBs, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have all the extra horsepower (and VRAM) of the 1070. And it is currently the king of "best-bang-for-the- buck". The only thing I don't know about is what the equivalent Intel CPU is of the FX 8370. I'm not familiar with AMD procs and mobos. I don't know if you'd have any bottle-necking issues. However, given that it runs at 4.1GHz, I feel confident that a 1070 will pair well with it.

tl/dr; Yes. 1070 smash puny 390.

Thanks! No doubt the 1070 is a faster, better card. Essentially my only concern is FPS on a texture heavy ENB setup. So, will the upgrade give me the 10+ FPS? That, to me, would justify the price tag. I already have the same VRAM on the R9 390 but I'm hoping the horsepower alone will make the deference. There probably a little bottlenecking involved with the CPU but not much with the overclocked 8370.

(with indoor environments running 60-100+).

You shouldn't have more than 60fps generally. Make sure to activate VSync.

Essentially my only concern is FPS on a texture heavy ENB setup. So, will the upgrade give me the 10+ FPS?

It will give you a better performance but no one here can tell you how much FPS exactly you will get.

Edited by Novem99

i'm quite sure your amd cpu is the bottleneck and responsible or the low outdoor framerates. you should google about the cpu performance and the impact on games like skyrim. skyrim needs a capable cpu. at least an i5 cpu @ 4 Ghz or more is adviseable. the per core performance is the relevant number for skyrim because it's multitasking ability is quite mediocre. fps difference between i5 @ 4k and fx 8370 @ 4k should be at least 10 fps using a capable gpu like the 390. Edited by xrayy

It will be bottle necked by your dated weak cpu.ÃÂ

ÃÂ

Sorry if it ruffles peoples feathers but AMD cpus are waaay behind right now.ÃÂ

So, does that mean I should not pursue a 1070? I'm not aware of much bottleneck in any other modern game at 1080p. I run everything above 60 FPS save modded skyrim. But modded Skyrim isn't a normal game. Edited by hellfire28

It will be bottle necked by your dated weak cpu.ÃÂ

ÃÂ

Sorry if it ruffles peoples feathers but AMD cpus are waaay behind right now.ÃÂ

So, does that mean I should not pursue a 1070? I'm not aware of much bottleneck in any other modern game at 1080p. I run everything above 60 FPS save modded skyrim. But modded Skyrim isn't a normal game.

the 390 is actually a pretty good card dude. If you have the cash id spend it instead on switching to an I5. You would need new motherboard too. So overall about same cost as what you would have spent on 1070.

390 is roughly equal or slightly better than my 970.

the 390 is actually a pretty good card dude. If you have the cash id spend it instead on switching to an I5. You would need new motherboard too. So overall about same cost as what you would have spent on 1070.

390 is roughly equal or slightly better than my 970.

Ah, see? I don't know squat about AMD. I just took a guess based on the 4.1GHz speed.

Thanks for chiming in before he pulled the trigger (on buying.) I would have felt bad about that. Guess I really need to study AMD procs before I open my mouth.