Ankh-Morpork in Skyrim.

muttiniraq

Ankh-Morpork in Skyrim  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about this idea?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god yes. I am in full support of this idea should someone pull it off.

This is bringing fond flashbacks from when I played the Discworld MUD (Which was extremely awesome by the way).

Sadly, the most detailed map of what it would look like is the one from that game:

http://daftjunk.com/dw/Ankh-Morpork.gif

I've only read the first book, but the only word I could think of when I read this topic title was "Ambitious". If it can be made so that people who don't know the story(s) can have fun with it too, then go for it, I say.

-Edit-

I'll say this much right now: even just a quarter of the above map getting completed will still be a vast improvement on what's Vanilla. WAY too many of the towns in the game are "'Welcome' on the same post that says 'Come Back Again'" sized; I know Skyrim is a hard place but there can't be more than a few thousand in the entire territory.

Edited by JM_MnNemo

There is a published version of the map which i know is incredible detailed and I've been making sketches off of that. So you guys think I should make a proper Forum page for this? I will need help of course because at the moment there is only two of us and neither of us are good at 3D modeling.

Edit: I have played the MUD for a while but I never really got into it, It's one reason I wanted to make this mod

Edited by slaineify

I would caution you to not bite off more than you can chew. While I fully support a project like this, building a city of that scale would be close to impossible even with a larger moding team. Ambitious, doesn't even begin to describe this plan. I have been involved with several modding communities for many years and have been part of teams that have produced and failed to produce content. Most of the time the teams that succeed are the ones that start with a small quest line and expand from there.

I suggest that IF you take on this project, you start with a very small scope, like recreating UU (even that is big, but still doable) and keeping the quests restricted to the UU grounds only. I would gladly help with such a project. I have modding experience, and even wrote a humor based mod for NWN that was compared to Terry Pratchett in style. Midas Magic already is working on a Summon Luggage spell, BTW.

Thanks for the advice man, I am pretty new to modding only made really small things so I was gonna take my time with this Start on the quest to make to portal and Casually work my way through the city, which would take me maybe 3 months full time (got nothing else to do) Populating 1-2 weeks I was however going to rely on the community for meshes and textures. So any help would be most welcome.

Now that's an ambitious mod, but as a Pratchett fan, I really love this idea. Unfortunately, creating such a gigantic town will require a lot of work and I doubt that a computer can handle a real big city with lots of NPCs.

Maybe dividing the city up into several smaller cells will solve this problem. An invisible border that functions like a door could connect the cells with each other.

If you really want to create such a mod, you should start with an official map of Ankh-Morpork. The next step would consist of seperating the map into different cells (or you find a better way to handle such a big metropolis).

Then you should start with the first cell. Unseen University might be a good idea, but don't you dare to forget the librarian who can be insulted by saying the m-word (of course, with full consequences). The well-known ritual of AshkEnte is also a necessity for UU.

In order to properly display the streets of Ankh-Morpork, it would be best to realize the streets and pavements with a big 3d model as foundation for the buildings.

On a side not: I didn't know there are such nice and detailed maps of Ankh-Morpork out there. They remind me of the Discworld computer game (inspiration for certain scenes) with Eric Idle lending his voice to Rincewind.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_s4yaF0W2Dis/SNlJb70cSMI/AAAAAAAAHuU/n60fKWq0u7w/s400/discworld-pc-game-dos-dosbox-1.jpg

Edited by Bismarck

One of the features I think will be needed, to really get started, would in fact try a city replacement. Take solitude's arcitecture and replace Riften's houses with it, keeping the same atmosphere effects for night, the drab, eerie and depressing tones it has. If you can try and miniturise key elements of the city, the Temple of Mara as UU, using Riften as the surrounding part around the tower. I think Riften would be a great place to do it if you've read Nightwatch, it really sounds similar. But if you really want to go to the better places. Essentially, it needs to be broken into sections. Another reason I think riften would be good, is the use of the Ratway, and the fact that what is under Ank-Morpork... is the old Ank-Morpork. When the project gets really underway, I'd be happy to lend insight, though I know little of modding myself, I do have a clear mental picture of the city, not exactly map savvy, but more like atmosphere and looks. Think about Theives, Assassins, The Watch, UU, Rust Family, as potential factions eventually