Would some kind soul take a look at these gdas/xls files, please?

LadyHonor

I am *trying* to get two custom placeables to work, but neither are cooperating. When I first open the toolset it will show up and I can make it and add it to the area. I have succeeded in adding them a few times, but when I have to open the area again, the "appearance resource" just vanishes into thin air and they cease working or even showing up in the placeable editor. These aren't brand new models I've made myself nor are they core models from the toolset converted to placeables. These are existing placeable appearances or whatever they are supposed to be called.

Here is the error message I keep getting:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2cxztco.jpg

And here are the gda/xls file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/79tfasmknx0s9o9/lhcgdas.rar

Would some kind soul please look at them and see if you can figure out what it is I have done wrong? Even better, if you could, try adding them to an area and see if you have the same problem.

They are the wide, invisible and tevinter large wooden placeables that have been made for dialog purposes. The wide one opens a dialog that gives the player the option to travel to another area at daytime or nighttime. The tevinter door has a blank dialog line that runs a script that jumps the party from downstairs to upstairs. Both of them work until I have to do something else in the level. Then they do nothing and disappear into the void.

Edited by LadyHonor

Nevermind. After hours of searching for a solution I found this little gem:

http://fextralife.com/forums/t145078/custom-placeables-not-showing-ingame/

Apparently it is a known issue and by reading this I figured out a work around. It is not an optimal solution but it does work.

First make your placeable. When you are happy with it, export it BEFORE saving. Once you've exported it you can save and check it in and it will work in the game. You will have to do it tho every time you export them tho.

forget that solution. it seems it only works once as well. when you go in to do edit something else it disappears again. the only solution I've found is using existing invisible boxes. :(

I hadn't thought about changing their script. As for the trigger thingie, I haven't had any problems wtih those. I will try the scripting thing tho when I get around to it. I've focusing on voice overs and the population boom at the moment.

Or - use existing resources

Invisible Object, Medium (Dialog)

Invisible Object, Small (Dialog)

Area Transition, Tevinter, Double (multiple options)

Area Transition, Invisible (multiple options)

All of these exist as options for placeables. For the object that is to provide a dialogue, put the invisible dialogue object over the existing placeable so that the player encounters the invisible object before they can click on the visible object. If it isn't big enough, use more than one invisible object. If you use the same dialogue file, it will be transparent (I crack me up) to the user that they aren't clicking on the visible object.

For the Tevinter door, there are multiple Tevinter doors available for area transitions or you can put an invisible area transition over the Tevinter door that you want to use. Again, the player isn't going to know that they are going through an area transition based on an invisible area transition.

I eventually did use the invisible boxes. The Tevinter door *does* have multiple options, but none of them had the dialog option. If it was a simple transition a custom placeable (or invisible box) wouldn't have been necessary, but I needed a door that gave options to either, in this case, transition the player to daytime Highever or nighttime Highever. Because the door in Cousland Castle is a double door, I was hoping to use the wide invisible, but nope. It wouldn't work no matter what I did. I even tried the making a custom placeable from a model option, but the Tevinter door and invisible boxes are already placeables and it did nothing. The invisible box works fine. The only annoying thing about them is for some reason no matter the coordinates you put into the PCRSCR script, it's going to sit the blasted thing on the ground. So, at the double door in Cousland castle, when you use the tab to highlight it, it has the dialog icon hovering just over the floor. They go where I want them to when I add them to an area I own, though. The invisible boxes don't highlight like a door does, but you do get the dialog icon, so I won't complain about that.

I did have a major bug with this mod though in that sometimes, not always, it won't let you name dog. I can't figure that one out. I haven't touched any core resources in this mod other than creating the character stage override for my followers and absolutely nothing in the human noble origin. It is all done by PCRSCr unless it is my area. I did find a very old post stating it was a known bug with dog, but nothing as to the why it happens or how to fix it.

BUT! All is not lost. lol As I said, it only does it sometimes and most of the time only when you hurry through the cutscenes/dialog blah, blah, blah and since I have no idea what is bugging it, I made a placeable that you can click on which will force the naming GUI to open and let you name him. It's pretty cool and I've considered making one to stick in camp on the off chance someone just wants to rename dog for the hell of it and zipping it up as its own little mod. lol

Now that I think about it, I didn't even touch the character stage. I just made a completely new one and referenced it my lhc_module_core. Oh well.

Yes and no. I did the actual work myself, but not without the help of whole lot of people, Meranne especially. I am open to any volunteers who want to help with it. I may actually live long enough to see all of it finished then. Lol

There is no reason for the invisible box to be 'on the ground', it is a matter of changing the x, y, z, or orientation to change the position. I've used the invisible placeables and don't have this problem.

If you have created a new character stage, you will need to make it compatible with the character stages from the Companion mods. If you want your mod to be compatible with any of the other Companion mods.