New Skyrim modder, please point me in the right direction

RaianStar

Hi all, I'm trying to create a mod that allows the player to equip a power that lets them dash over a short distance very quickly so that, at the cost of stamina, they can dodge blows in combat situations.

This mod needs:

• Movement speed modifiers
  • The ability to use powers multiple times per day
  • Having the magic effect cost stamina instead of magic

I haven't had much luck with the speed mods, but I think that's because I'm overthinking the magnitudes. I can probably figure this one out with more experimentation. Do I even need magnitudes for a spell like this?

Is there a simple way to have a power re-usable but with a short cooldown?

Will I need to write scripts in order to build this power and its cost? Because I was hoping to avoid scripts for PS4 support as well.

Lastly, is there a command that unbinds your hands? Only, creating new save games to test my mods is tedious...

Like the title suggests, if you can point me in the direction as opposed to just giving me solutions, I'd really appreciate it. I'm just trying to get my head around the system at the moment, so telling me what parts are possible and whether they require scripts and workarounds or are included in the basic editor package would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure about most of the technicalities, but this sounds like something the whirlwind sprint shout would help with, especially if you reduce the cooldown.

As far as creating games to test mods, I'd suggest using Alternate Start - Live another life, by Arthmoor (same author as the unofficial patches). You spawn in a prison cell, have a quick convo with a statue of Mara, and can either escape the prison or "begin" in a number of various scenarios, including simple inn customers, etc. Quick, easy, variety, and you don't always have to be in Helgen to test.

I'm not sure about most of the technicalities, but this sounds like something the whirlwind sprint shout would help with, especially if you reduce the cooldown.

​The script for this shout could help me come to grips with Papyrus in Skyrim SE and write my humble little mod. Unfortunately this script is missing from the interface. Would you happen to have any ideas on how to make it show, or even find it in the files?

Skyrim_Missing_Script.png

As far as creating games to test mods, I'd suggest using Alternate Start - Live another life, by Arthmoor (same author as the unofficial patches). You spawn in a prison cell, have a quick convo with a statue of Mara, and can either escape the prison or "begin" in a number of various scenarios, including simple inn customers, etc. Quick, easy, variety, and you don't always have to be in Helgen to test.

That works really well, thanks :-)

Whirlwind sprint isn't a script. Releasing the shout button triggers an animation event, and if the equipped shout is whirlwind sprint then it triggers a special animation.

I see... So shouting literally declares a shout with the property of the equipped shout. Plus, the jumping around the screen component of the shout is literally just animation work, in which case, as I want the player to move in any chosen direction at great speed for a very short amount of time, maybe I should just affect a speed multiplier.

I can't seem to find any shout tutorials, so I'll have a play and see what I can come up with. I suppose I could just give my shout the same words as Whirlwind Sprint. That might mean that I acquire (but not unlock) both shouts simultaneously.

Edited by RaianStar