Your memorable nonquest/nonscripted stories

thesapien

For me, Skyrim is at its best when things just sort of happen, unpredictably, based on having an open world design. If you've been playing a lot, you've probably got lots of stories and your best one were not the scripted epic moments or killing Alduin.

I know, for most of them, you'd had to be there, and telling these stories is sometimes as bad as sharing dreams with others who don't care. But, really, I'd still like to read them myself because I'm weird that way.

One time I was in deep stealth, off the beaten path, just watching some guards, not planning a real attack on them, but observing. Suddenly, from behind, I hear, "There you are. I've got a message for you from a friend."

Yesterday, with a new character, I decided to hit a certain bandit camp outside a certain mine full of iron, the spellbook for turning ore to gold, and lots of expensive mammoth tusks. My tactic with my low level character this time was to just approach, seen, from the front, to lure them all out, then divide and conquer around the terrain away from their fortress. As I was being chased, zigzagging, sneaking, getting them separated and confused as to where I was, I ran into a Vigilant of Stendarr. Apparently, he didn't like seeing a poor girl being hunted by bandits. Dude nearly took them all out by himself. I mean, okay, I kept leading them his way and would help a little bit, but he pretty much did my dirty work for me. I tried to thank him afterwards and shower praise, though he admirably just explained his dedication to fighting bad people and creatures of Skyrim.

Wouldn't say those are my best stories, just freshest in my mind. I'm sure many others have better or just would like to share. Please, do!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooh, I love these kinds of things!

I was riding my horse from Dawnstar to Winterhold and I happened on that lighthouse where you investigate the murdered family. So after I did that and put the father's remains in the lighthouse fire, I continued on to Winterhold. Halfway between the light house and Alftand I found a mammoth frozen into a glacier! That made me chuckle, the developers have an odd sense of humor sometimes.

I also have this (admittedly weird) obsession with climbing as high as I can up mountains, then diving off the side into rivers or lakes. If you do it just right, you'll just hit the water and not get hurt (or die). But it's got to be done just so, or you'll wind up as a cartwheeling corpse flying down the mountainside. I spent two hours trying to do that outside Sky Haven Temple this morning.

I think my favorite story is when I was fighting a random dragon when a giant stomped up out of nowhere and killed it for me with one blow. I would have thanked him, but then he turned on me and I had to kill him.

I decided to grind enchanting but not smithing so I was using a horse to circumvent the overburdening limitations on fast travel. I decided to restock on soul gems and fast traveled to the college. When I arrived I was somehow a hundred feet above and to the left of the bridge to the gate. Needless to say I didn't survive the drop.

Quirkyblonde, I've been tempted to dive from high points into the water myself sometimes, but I never take the time to do it though...What do you think of Bard's Leap though? Never tried jumping from there but it seems like it's been specially made for something like this. Technically not a mountain top but still:)

One of my favorite moments was when I was roaming around the tundra west of Whiterun to see if there was anything interesting out there (and it was pretty, I admit). Somewhere in that expanse was a stream with a tiny island in it, occupied by a few mudcrabs. One of them turned hostile and came at me, and one of the really grand battle tracks started playing. I remember thinking, "That seems a little excessive for a mudcrab." Either way, I ready my weapon. Halfway between the island and me, THWUMP! The mudcrab is replaced by a blood dragon that just dropped out of the sky. It was the quietest dragon I had ever seen, didn't hear any roars or beating of wings before it landed.

Scared me half to death, but it was awesome.

I was running through the Tundra, using my Fire Breath shout to hunt deer. I saw this big buck and went after it, taking it down with practiced ease. Then this random doe comes over and just stares at the body. Doesn't try to run away, just stares.

Suffice to say, i was mortified. I no longer hunt deer.

I was alleviating overencumbrance in a dungeon, when some bandit brute walked directly to me, and asked excessively politely in a kind and calm voice whether he could use a piece of armor he happened to find. And attacked when I quit the dialog.

Quirkyblonde, I've been tempted to dive from high points into the water myself sometimes, but I never take the time to do it though...What do you think of Bard's Leap though? Never tried jumping from there but it seems like it's been specially made for something like this. Technically not a mountain top but still:)

I can't remember the name, but that might be it. Southwest part of the map? Getting a shield for Jarl of Markarth?

If you take the leap of faith, you'll be rewarded by a quick congrats from someone. Funny, I never leaped from anywhere else but it was too perfect to pass up.

I was running through the Tundra, using my Fire Breath shout to hunt deer. I saw this big buck and went after it, taking it down with practiced ease. Then this random doe comes over and just stares at the body. Doesn't try to run away, just stares.

Bahahahaha! You killed Bambi's dad!

Last night, my Imperial visited Markarth for the first time. He's a good Legion man, generally well-disciplined and respectful of the law, but that night he had one too many meads at the Silver-Blood Inn. It didn't take long for a local drunk to challenge him to fisticuffs in the traditional Nord fashion, and very soon the two of them were on their feet trading blow after blow. My Imperial soon realized that he would be no match for this burly warrior in a fair fight, and began darting around the bar, keeping away from the Nord long enough to recuperate, while dashing in close every so often to deliver a fierce jab to the ribs. The sound of curses and smashing crockery began to draw a crowd, who formed a loose circle around the combatants. Suddenly, the Nord caught my Imperial with a fierce two-handed combination that sent him flying back against the wall. Roaring in fury, my Imperial responded by charging forward and delivering a mighty blow - right into a local woman's nose. Alcohol and fist-fights don't mix.

Well, the Imperial spent a few days in the hole, mining silver and ruminating on his humiliation. When he was eventually released, he discovered that both the innkeeper and his brawling opponent were waiting for him outside Cidhna mine. Apparently, he had made a better impression than he had realized. He was immediately challenged to a rematch, and soon the two warriors were charging about the streets, trading punches and jibes about each other's mothers. Their brawl took them to the highest reaches of the city, where the Imperial managed to land a mighty blow, sending his opponent staggering backwards and over the edge of the bridge. Though the Nord survived the fall (by the skin of his teeth), he was too badly battered to continue the fight. The Imperial collected his winnings from the severely injured drunk and made for the next hold, determined to head off the guards before they started asking more questions. And that is the story of the Great Beer Brawl of Markarth.

Bahahahaha! You killed Bambi's dad!

Last night, my Imperial visited Markarth for the first time. He's a good Legion man, generally well-disciplined and respectful of the law, but that night he had one too many meads at the Silver-Blood Inn. It didn't take long for a local drunk to challenge him to fisticuffs in the traditional Nord fashion, and very soon the two of them were on their feet trading blow after blow. My Imperial soon realized that he would be no match for this burly warrior in a fair fight, and began darting around the bar, keeping away from the Nord long enough to recuperate, while dashing in close every so often to deliver a fierce jab to the ribs. The sound of curses and smashing crockery began to draw a crowd, who formed a loose circle around the combatants. Suddenly, the Nord caught my Imperial with a fierce two-handed combination that sent him flying back against the wall. Roaring in fury, my Imperial responded by charging forward and delivering a mighty blow - right into a local woman's nose. Alcohol and fist-fights don't mix.

Well, the Imperial spent a few days in the hole, mining silver and ruminating on his humiliation. When he was eventually released, he discovered that both the innkeeper and his brawling opponent were waiting for him outside Cidhna mine. Apparently, he had made a better impression than he had realized. He was immediately challenged to a rematch, and soon the two warriors were charging about the streets, trading punches and jibes about each other's mothers. Their brawl took them to the highest reaches of the city, where the Imperial managed to land a mighty blow, sending his opponent staggering backwards and over the edge of the bridge. Though the Nord survived the fall (by the skin of his teeth), he was too badly battered to continue the fight. The Imperial collected his winnings from the severely injured drunk and made for the next hold, determined to head off the guards before they started asking more questions. And that is the story of the Great Beer Brawl of Markarth.

That, my friend, was an awesome story. I will remember the Great Beer Brawl of Markarth forever ;)