So why did Alduin decide to attack Helgen?

stars2heaven

I do believe it is a mix of:

- Wanting the war to go on, to get more souls.

and

- He sensed a Dovahkiin. It also looks like he knew it was you. However, you almost got beheaded and looked like nothing but a beggar. His arrogance would get the best of him, and instead of going directly on you: Just wreak the town.

And

- Bang start in the game. Not caring too much about story, just get a good presentation.

Alduin is undefeated and got the nickname of The World Eater. I doubt he would feel threatened by a guy in rags. Perhaps he even wanted you to live to give him a small challenge? If you wouldn't get the knowledge to learn Dragonrend you would never be able to take him down. Which you only got lucky with - consider Alduin would, and could, kill Paarthurnax in few bites if he got the chance. And without him, things would get tougher.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Wanting the war to go on, to get more souls.

While I agree with the other points, I disagree with this one. Two issues speak against it: Alduin has no communication with humans, so he doesn't know who is who and likely doesn't care about human politics anyway. He has no human form, or any human that works with him, that could tell him about Ulfric. Second, he does never interfere again to have the war go on. I would believe this issue more if he would at the final battle at Windhelm or Solitude working against you to continue the war.

Facts:

* Alduin never attacks directly any other city himself. So Helgen was somehow special.

* Alduin never interferes another time, so for example to save Ulfric again, once you claim Windhelm.

* Alduin will actually kill you, if you linger too long outside -> he is not there to save you.

* Alduin does not have any human followers, or is able to take a human form (no where hinted at, except the story you make up at the bards college) so he has no idea who Ulric is, and sure not of the political consequences of the event.

* Alduin will not attack you again, unless you lern the Dragonrend much later. So at helgen his not on a kill mission too you. Otherwise he would just pop up again once you leave the cave.

This SO should have happened. :woot:

At the final battle, 3 or so dragons show up and help the opposing side.

Fighting the Stormcloaks "See! Talos deems our cause worthy and sends his servants to help us! Fight on!"

Fighting the Empire "The spirits of the Dragonborn Emperors look down upon us and send aid! Fight to the last man!"

Alduin was send forward in timee to the Throat of the World, the place he was when the Elder Scroll was used. Helgen lies at the foot of the mountain. So Alduin, who felt the presence of a Dragonborn (because you can hear him say 'Dovahkiin' during the attack), flew from the mountain to Helgen. Maybe to avenge his 'defeat' in ancient times (I believe those three heroes where Dragonborn as well), or eliminate a threat. Yes, he did not attack you when you left the cave, when he had the chance, but maybe his arrogance led him to believe you weren't such a big threat after all. By the way, you can see him fly in the direction of the mountains Mirmulnir came from, so maybe he just asked him to do it, as he didn't want to waste his time on such a little 'bug'. Or maybe it was destined to be so by the Divines. After all, in Oblivion, you coincidentally happened to be in the very cell Uriel Septim had to go through to escape. So not that big of a problem. Edited by ALittleBird

I can really see 2 reaons for this.

The obvious one. When Alduin returned, he went to raze the nearest human settlement he could find, probalby assuming that the Dragon War was still on. The distance between Helgen and Riverwood is actually pretty profound, once you consider scaling. Its probably a 2-3 day walk from one to the other. As such, from the Throat of the world he probably picked out the closest community (Helgen stands out amongst the otherwise clear mountains) and attacked it. Then, realising things weren't quite as they were supposed to be, he flies off to investigate what happened and whats changed.

Obrion B, and in my mind the more likley (As well as more thought provoking) is what Thesapien discribed. The Dovahkiin and Alduin are both children of Akatosh, the most powerful of their kind. One represents creation, the other destruction (The dual nature of time, to create and destroy) and their struggle is eternal. If the Dovahkiin has been killed before the two could confront eachother properly, the cycle is broken. Thats not good for the timeline.

Maybe because the Throat of the World is near Helgen, he could sense the presence of another dragon-soul, but I don't think he could know that it was you specifically. It was someone who was in Helgen, but he did not know who.

Satisfied that he'd most likely killed the mortal Dovahkiin, he flew away once Helgen was a smoldering ruin and didn't bother to look back because of his arrogance.

I think Alduin actually figured out it was you at the same time the Greybeards did; when you used a dragon Shout for the very time.

Edited by Lehcar

He can sense the Dragonborn, he didn't save him on purpose. He was going to devour his soul, a soul much more powerful then any from Sovngarde.

In that case he would go after you again, as soon you are under the sky again. Nah, he just decided after seeing you at Helgen, you are too puny for him to take care of.

Well, at least with these posts we've demonstrated that it was not a plot hole.

Well... Not exactly. There are a lot of ideas on why he decided to attack Helgen, but the fact that the game itself glanced over this question is still there. They didn't explain it in the story, so it's still a plot hole. :(