THE GORE OVERHAUL IS GONE?!

XCLASSGAMING

Mod Authors have been removing their mods for a while now, for various reasons. I learned this much the same way that you did. It is a shame for us users in the community but the Mod Authors are allowed to do what they want with the content they wrote. When I re-installed after a rage de-installation (too many CTDs so I wanted everything fresh) I was almost in tears when I found out how many of the mods I felt made this game the best out there were hidden or removed. Some of them have heard our pleas (thank you Friffy) but I don't expect that to happen very often. I think it is very important to make sure that we show as much appreciation to the mod author community as we can now.

That's why you SAVE the mods in HD. Because if they decide to remove the mods for whatever reasons they've got, you can still use them, despite them wanting us not to do.

Remember: what you've got, can't be taken from you.

Pretty much this ^^

I'm using NMM to download and install most mods, but, I have back-ups of NMM's install folder plus I also manually download mods I want to never ever lose and keep 'em in a separate folder ;)

Remember: what you've got, can't be taken from you.

You're right about saving mods to keep them. I've lost some of my faves when the author took them down and I didn't have a backup. It's our responsibility to keep our own copies of mods we don't want to lose.

you can still use them, despite them wanting us not to do.

Taking down a mod is not an aggressive statement by a mod author that they do not want you to play the mod anymore. A mod author has no control over that. They understand that once a player downloads a mod that copy of the mod belongs to that player. No mod author thinks that taking down his mod magically erases it from every location around the world.

Also, most of the authors I see taking down their mods are doing it for personal reasons that have nothing to do with players having access to the work. Authors have the right to do whatever they want with their work whenever they want to do it. That's why saving mods you like is the smart thing to do.