How to use different "femalebody.dds" for different NPCs?

Hello @ all,

i want to use several "female.dds" files at the same time. The problem ist that i didnt find the correct references for it yet. I've search for it in the NPCs Records in the ARMA records and in the RACE records but didnt find it. I want to use different body mods from Caliente for different NPCs to have more variations to my mod.

Does anybody knows in which record/field the reference to "Meshes\actors\character\character assets\femalebody_0.nif" & "...\femalebody_1.nif" is founded?

PS: please excuse my bad english.

Edited by Black Widowmaker

This is one of those things that we'll probably have to wait on the CK to see what is and isn't possible. It is likely again that all bodies of a gender use the same base texture, but the way chargen seems to work might suggest being able to apply masks over this to change the appearance slightly. However, since this is an aspect which wasn't present in previous games it won't be a defined aspect in FO3edit, so will have to wait till there is a proper tool or the Ck finally gets released.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're still interested then I've got something up to do this right now.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5968

In the comments for it I've pretty much described everything done there but feel free to tear it apart in TESVsnip to see for your self.

The biggest problem that remains is that npc's will not use unique Face textures unless a bunch of complexion forms are dupped with unique IDs and such, then linked to from the Race forms. The downside here is that you then have to tag all of the race form, thus you have to figure out how to get the stupid game to use strings... which it stubbornly refuses to do for the race names. So in the end you can get fully unique assets being used for head, body, hand, and feet for all races, but all of the race names get turned into garbled junk. Also for some unexplained reason the faces get about 20% darker.... no clue what that is about yet. I haven't found any useful info on how to properly work with adding new strings, so I've just been using TESVsnip's string editor for now.

Still all of that aside if you just want to use unique body textures then look at the old version. That works just fine for everything aside from unique npc faces. Again feel free to tear apart that esp and figure out anything you can from it... I am on the verge of ditching this game anyway.

Edited by rainrtw

Thanks for the tip TK, and well you are right about that. It seems to no longer be acknowledging any facemod or tintmask. I tested with some rather extreme examples so it would be quite obvious if it was using them and it no longer will use either while it is using custom Head Parts for the races head. The truly odd thing, aside from it making no sense, is that those facemods and tintmasks seem to be paired one for one to the npc's directly. If you have an npc with the ID of 0002bf9f (Hadvar) then their is a tint mask 0002bf9f.dds and a face mod 0002bf9f_0.dds

So then why would changes to anything other then the NPC directly have any effect on this? All the NPC_ forms are untouched.

The tintmasks and facemods don't appear to be linked to by anything in the esm. It seems like they are just found and used based on Form ID/Filename association. If I had dupped the npc's forms directly into a new mod then it would makes sense that I may have to duplicate those files into corresponding (ModName.esp) folders so it can find them, but again those are unaffected.

*sigh* I just hope more of this silliness makes sense in time. For now I find more questions then answers while tearing apart the esm file.

Edited by rainrtw

It looks like two of the shader flags inside a nif dictate Has Tintmask and Has Facemod. I haven't looked at your mod to see how you're doing what you're doing, so that might not be valid. Or, if you're technically creating new NPCs, even by altering the records from Skyrim.esm, the textures need to be moved to an appropriate mod.esm folder inside tintmasks/facemods ?