TOOLSET: Areas don't appear in viewing window

NuminousMyth

Toolset problem:

- I open the toolset and go to FILE / NEW / AREA and then set the AREA SETTINGS / AREA SIZE, but nothing appears and the viewing window remains white. Is there something I have to switch on or is there something I have done wrong?

- And 3d models don't appear in the creature preview window.

Although I haven't experienced that, I've heard of similar things happening before. It sounds like your 3D rendering windows in the toolset aren't working, and I'd guess it's from a lack of the specific DirectX version the toolset needs. It also needs an old .NET framework installed, but if I recall the toolset just wouldn't open at all if you didn't have that.

The DirectX version you need is 9, and having a later version isn't enough. The disc version of the game comes with an installer of the DirectX version you need in a separate folder on the disc, but if you got it from GOG, it probably doesn't, and Microsoft makes it very hard to find installers for the older versions. My disc of the game is packed away in a box somewhere, but this installer will hopefully work for you:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19743

I say hopefully, because Microsoft at some point made their installers refuse to install if it detected a later version installed. The newer ones are not fully backward compatible. It won't hurt anything to have multiple versions installed, so try this first.

I'd like to know if the DirectX installer installed it successfully or refused to install it. What did it say at the end?

The second step, if it installed successfully but didn't resolve the issue, would be to try installing the .NET framework it wants, but I don't know which version it is. It's possible that newer versions of Windows don't crash if it's not present, but fail to work properly.

It must have installed successfully because at the end it said: "Installation Complete - The components installed are now ready for use". Nevertheless, the DirectX Diagnostic Tool shows that my DirectX Version is DirectX 12.

The toolset help file suggests installing .NET framework 1.1 but the provided link doesn't work. FYI I am using Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Edited by NuminousMyth

Dxdiag seems to only report the latest version for DirectX, since that's what mine says, too.

Okay, another approach. What graphics card do you have, and what drivers for it are you running?

I have two graphics cards:

- NVIDIA GeForce 845M (Driver Version: 376.33)

- Intel HD Graphics 5500

It says I have the latest GeForce drivers.

The game works like a dream on the GeForce 845M. I wonder if the problem is caused by the Toolset using my integrated graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 5500) instead of the NVIDIA GeForce 845M? I will investigate and report back. But let me know if there is something else you'd like me to try. Thanks.

The game works like a dream on the GeForce 845M. I wonder if the problem is caused by the Toolset using my integrated graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 5500) instead of the NVIDIA GeForce 845M? I will investigate and report back. But let me know if there is something else you'd like me to try. Thanks.

A good question. I don't know how you could find out if it's using the wrong card, or if that's possible. One possibility is that I've heard some people having problems either in the game or in the toolset with certain newer Nvidia cards and driver versions. I hesitate to suggest this, but it has worked in the past for other games, so perhaps you could try rolling back your drivers to an earlier version, at least temporarily, to see if it has any effect.

My current card is a Radeon, so I can't say from experience if any recent Nvidia drivers messed things up, but it does happen for some older games, I've seen.