TOOLSET: Areas don't appear in viewing window

NuminousMyth

I'm running WIndows 8.1 with GeForce GTX 645. Sometimes the toolset won't change tint, swap armor parts, or rescale objects right away. But otherwise it seems to work fine. The problem behaves like a cache update failure. I haven't found a fix yet, although closing an area then re-opening it will update everything properly.

Edited by rjshae

I've discovered that the Toolset is using the GeForce 845M graphics card and not the integrated Intel HD graphics card, so that's not the problem. Also, I followed the suggestion about rolling back my drivers to an earlier version but, unfortunately, that didn't resolve the problem.

FYI: I tried doing a clean install of NWN but it had no effect. But, interestingly, some of the Toolset settings remained the same AFTER the reinstallation of the game. What this obviously means is that when I uninstall the game some files mustn't be deleted. However, I am unable to find the files that remain. I am not sure if this is significant but it seems odd that some of the Toolset settings (unpinned windows) would remain the same. Shouldn't the Toolset settings change to default after a fresh installation?

I digress. Do you have more suggestions?

A lot of programs leave configuration files or registry settings on your system even when you uninstall them. Configuration files are in the Documents folder.

I have only one other question, because otherwise I'm out of ideas. Your original post says you tried creating a new area. Is this only when you try to create a new area, or is it also when you try to open an existing area, such as from the OC?

A lot of programs leave configuration files or registry settings on your system even when you uninstall them. Configuration files are in the Documents folder.

I have only one other question, because otherwise I'm out of ideas. Your original post says you tried creating a new area. Is this only when you try to create a new area, or is it also when you try to open an existing area, such as from the OC?

After uninstalling NWN a second time I couldn't find any configuration files in the Documents folder or any other folder.

To a answer your question: areas from the OC can be opened but nothing appears in the view window. The 3D environment doesn't show.

As a last resort I might revert back to an earlier version of Windows by reseting my laptop to the factory default (6 months ago I had the toolset working on this laptop).

The configuration is probably in the registry, then.

If you do try the previous Windows version, do report on your results. But I would of course hope that it would work for you on Windows 10, as it does for me.

Edited by Tchos

The configuration is probably in the registry, then.

If you do try the previous Windows version, do report on your results. But I would have course hope that it would work for you on Windows 10, as it does for me.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know what happens.

You haven't mentioned this, so I'll ask a stupid question (even though it's probably not the issue): are you running the toolset in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP3)? Do you have DirectX 9.0 loaded?

Unfortunately, the Toolset's 3D environment doesn't appear even when DirectX 9.0 is loaded and run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP3). Grrr...

Six months ago the Toolset worked fine on this laptop, so I am baffled as to why it now fails to load the 3D models and environment. I am tempted to reset my laptop to factory settings so that I can start afresh. Not sure what else to do.

Also, on my Windows 10 computer, the toolset behaves correctly with no compatibility settings adjusted.

The toolset is now working after I did a factory reset on my laptop (Windows 8.1 and factory settings for the system). Windows 10 is compatible with the toolset, as you can testify, but having been unable to pinpoint a specific problem I decided that a factory reset would eliminate all hidden factors and anomalies.

If anyone is having problems seeing the 3D models and environment in the toolset, then, as a last resort, it's worth trying a factory reset. It worked for me!

Thanks for the help.