GECK/ISFX needed - simulated elevator ride

marinchev

Hi guys! I have this idea for my upcoming mod - I want to use ImageSpace modifiers to simulate an elevator ride. What I'm trying to achieve here is use the modifiers (or maybe animate my own) to simulate an elevator ride - like screen shakes once it starts/stops moving.

Can you point me to which options of the ISFX window can simulate that? I mean, I have those options to play with in the GECK:

Blur, Double Vision, Motion Blur, Radial Blur, Depth of Field, etc. So which ones can most accurately do a camera jump on an elevator sudden stop? We're not talking about the scripting here, just the imagespace effect.

I picked up a trick from the vertibird in Enclave Commander. Basically, you use an invisible, non damaging explosion placed at the player when you want the screen to shake. (I use a script with a timer)

It doesn't seem to work without adding a sound to the explosion though, (it'll shake a controller but not the screen) so you'll need to add a subtle enough one for it to not get noticed. I use a grenade throw sound or something like that following from EC's example.

It doesn't seem to work without adding a sound to the explosion though, (it'll shake a controller but not the screen) so you'll need to add a subtle enough one for it to not get noticed. I use a grenade throw sound or something like that following from EC's example.

You can use the XXXPlaceholder sound for that.

Thanks for your quick replies, guys! I'll make sure to test out what you suggested. Sounds easily achievable - thanks again!

Edit: Would it be possible to loop the explosion, so the shake would repeat? Doing this with timers is gonna require a LOT of lines :D

Edited by marinchev

Maybe instead of using a timer ... use GetPos z

So in your script just have lines for how ever many shakes you want like this ...

If MyRef GetPos Z == 100 ; you input the actual Z position

Player.PlaceAtMe MyShakeExplosion

If MyRef GetPos Z == 200

If MyRef GetPos Z == 300

I think that will work ... but then again a timer may be better ^shrug^ ?

Add edit :

OH Wait !!! You are not actually moving anything up/down ... just simulating it ?

So GetPos Z would not work .

If you are interested in actually moving the lift ... I can help you out with a script for that ... it's not to complicated.

Edited by Mktavish

I think I may have tried that and had it not work. IIRC, that one doesn't actually use an audio file, which I assumed caused it not to work. I could be wrong, it was a while back, but I'm pretty sure. Either way, I'd think a very short, silent file would work.

I think I may have tried that and had it not work. IIRC, that one doesn't actually use an audio file, which I assumed caused it not to work. I could be wrong, it was a while back, but I'm pretty sure. Either way, I'd think a very short, silent file would work.

That's no problem - if it wants an actual audio file, we can just make a few seconds of silence, add it in the geck, then use that sound for the fake explosion. I'm still building the elevator and the second area of the mod. The two sliding doors I'm trying to place are giving me cosmetic headaches. I haven't gotten to the FX yet :D But thanks, I'll try out what all u guys said!

Mktavish - thanks for the idea! It would be pretty awesome, but seeing as how there are no actual elevator cabins modeled in the game, I'd have to make me a cabin model for your idea to work, am I right?

Cause right now, I've built up the static cabin using static objects from the FalloutNV.esm... ?

Or, maybe move those static parts along Z each individually by exactly the same amount and at the same time with SetPos?

Edited by marinchev

Mktavish - thanks for the idea! It would be pretty awesome, but seeing as how there are no actual elevator cabins modeled in the game, I'd have to make me a cabin model for your idea to work, am I right?

Cause right now, I've built up the static cabin using static objects from the FalloutNV.esm... ?

Or, maybe move those static parts along Z each individually by exactly the same amount and at the same time with SetPos?

Depending on the parts , you could turn your lift cabin into a SCOL ... therefore 1 peice to move up down ... which you are astute to question ... because yes the scripting does require a line for each ref. Including the player ... which means ... you have to disable the player controls for Forward/Back : Left/Right while the lift/player/followers are in motion. But they can still have all the other controls ... at least the player anyways.

The other way is to build an animated object that carries it's collision with it. Like doors for example.

But of course that is not something you can do with the geck.

Edited by Mktavish

Always worked for me. It uses a silent audio file, just as you're describing.