Trying to make my first script.. what is wrong with this?

psrfreddyz06

Did you make a message called "test"

The command "ShowMessage" needs a form-id to point to.

Which is an object that you need to create in the object tree. A message is its own kind of object ... like a note sort of. 2 kinds of messages though. Read up on them in the wiki

Edited by Mktavish

And I realized the term "Form-ID" may be confusing. So let me clarify

A Form-ID is anything specific to an object , whether it be base or ref ... and the engine doesn't really think with base/ref terms like we the geck users do. Everything is a Form-ID ... hence you see those other numerical identifiers.

But we modders need an easier method ... so there is something called a Base-ID , being anything within the object tree.

And then there is something called a Reference-ID , being anything within the render window.

But not everything within the object tree can then be put into the render window and become a Ref-ID.

Hence the difference between base,ref & form ID ... Ref always has a Base , and Base means it can create references that rely on it. The Message objects are something outside of that relationship.

I hope that clears it up if there was a misunderstanding.

Edited by Mktavish

Did you make a message called "test"

The command "ShowMessage" needs a form-id to point to.

Which is an object that you need to create in the object tree. A message is its own kind of object ... like a note sort of. 2 kinds of messages though. Read up on them in the wiki

Thank you very much!! I managed to get the message working, Cheers! :)

And I realized the term "Form-ID" may be confusing. So let me clarify

A Form-ID is anything specific to an object , whether it be base or ref ... and the engine doesn't really think with base/ref terms like we the geck users do. Everything is a Form-ID ... hence you see those other numerical identifiers.

But we modders need an easier method ... so there is something called a Base-ID , being anything within the object tree.

And then there is something called a Reference-ID , being anything within the render window.

But not everything within the object tree can then be put into the render window and become a Ref-ID.

Hence the difference between base,ref & form ID ... Ref always has a Base , and Base means it can create references that rely on it. The Message objects are something outside of that relationship.

I hope that clears it up if there was a misunderstanding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS WRONG SCRIPT??

ScriptName ACIDDisintegrationEffectScript
Float Timer
Short DoOnce
Short IsPile
Begin ScriptEffectStart
SetCriticalStage DisintegrateStart
PMS ACIDFX
PMS ACIDcriticalFX
Set Timer to 1.8
Set DoOnce to 0
Set IsPile to 0
End
Begin ScriptEffectUpdate
If DoOnce == 0
If IsPile == 0
If Timer <= 0.5
AttachAshPile
Set IsPile to 1
EndIf
EndIf
If Timer <= 0
SetCriticalStage DisintegrateEnd
SMS ACIDFX
SMS ACIDcriticalFX
Set DoOnce to 1
EndIf
Set Timer to (Timer - GetSecondsPassed)
EndIf

Your last "Endif" should be an "End" or I mean you need to add and "End"

4 "If's" need 4 "Endif's" But then you still need an "End" for the "Begin"

Or does "Begin ScriptEffectUpdate" not need it ? Couldn't seem to find anything saying that though.