Heavy Traffic ×

The Blackwood company and the Hist potion

Dwalin2012

Have played this questline already a while ago, but never really got it: did Ri'Zakar know what the Hist tree juice was doing to his underlings, but still used it or was it just an "unwanted collateral effect?". Because, for example, I don't see what was the point of slaughtering the village by making the Blackwood company fighters (me including) believe the villagers were goblins. What did Ri'Zakar get out of it? Both the Fighters Guild and the Blackwood Company are mercenary groups, that do contracts for money, only that the Blackwood Company is willing to do illegal/criminal ones too, as long as the cash is there. But with episodes like this, what was the gain or any point? Did the leaders of the group even realize they were turning crazy in time to use those "hallucinations" to their advantage or was the company disrupting itself with this thing anyway if the protagonist hadn't intervened? What do you think? Maybe I missed something, but I never saw a clear explanation in the game.....

The way I understood the story is that Blackwood was using hist sap on either most or all of their jobs, while the villagers did indeed have and report a Goblin problem and were simply trying to fix it. I've never checked any of these assumptions against official game lore so they might be totally wrong.

It looks like the hist issue was basically an unwanted collateral effect and at the same time a good mean to get rid of the fighters guild rivals without risking a harsh penalty.

Blackwood accepted former (and even current IIRC) FG members into their company and used them for their jobs. Also Ri'Zakar gave the sap to his entire crew, not just ex FG members. Not sure how that equates to getting rid of them.

A former FG member is no longer a rival, any former FG member who drinks corrupted hist and kills FG members is someone who won't come back to the fighters guild. The hist is a good mean to weaken the FG and make sure the blackwood company members won't leave the company for their rival.