DAO Toolset How to add a custom Static Model such as a Wall or a Floor

Deephazard

I've fiddling around with the Dragon Age Toolset and I'm trying to add my own custom static model to be used as a tile (such as a floor or a wall)

I've exported a mesh in the correct file format and put it in the override folder. However, it does not appear in the pallette window.

I know I am definitely missing something, but there are no tutorials on adding a static model.

Can somebody help? It's driving me crazy.

I'm just guessing (because I'm not a modeler and don't do much of anything with levels in DAO) but if placeables/statics are treated anything like useable/equippable items, then your model probably needs to at the very least be assigned an ItemVariation ID (or other identifier) via a GDA for the toolset to 'see' it.

Edited by theskymoves

If your making props or resources to be used for level making or on cutscenes, then you don't have to edit any gda to make it appear (You can find it on the model section, I usually name mine with the prp_ prefix and would find it filed under there :) ). Placeables are an entirely different matter, iirc, am not reall familliar with that.

Strange, what kind of error pops up in the toolset?

Its possible, what software do you use for exporting your meshes?

I use 3DS Max, and I do get errors in the toolset (namely not showing up in the toolset at all or in game) if I don't set up my models for exporting correctly, namely with the Materials as well as the Model Manager.

This is normally my workflow when working with custom/static models:

1.) Create the mesh

2.) (OPTIONAL) If you're going to use a custom texture add the appropriate material from the DAO Material setting.

3.) (OPTIONAL) If you're simply editing a mesh, you don't have to set this up, otherwise go to Model Manager, and make sure the object you made is set as Mesh

4.) Export and insert in your override folder or in your addins/module folder

5.) (OPTIONAL) If you generated a custom mao file for your mesh, then copy the contents from a vanilla static object mao and insert it to yours. Rename the texture name as you see fit.