How to "ForceSteamLoader for skse startup options" with Mod Organizer & Crash fixes

headfullofdread

Cross posted on the crash fixes page.

The start up warning for CF tells me "If using mod organizer try adding ForceSteamLoader to skse startup options"

I've found

1.right click on skse_loader.exe on your skyrim folder

2.select create shortcut (or link...i don't have english windows)

3.right click on shortcut file then properties and at the end of destination write -forcesteamloader

I have Target, start in, shortcut key, run & comment... not sure where to add -ForceSteamLoader & I assume I direct MO to run the modified shortcut after that?

You shouldn't, need to do that if you start the game correctly through MO, and it's set up right.

You need to start SkSE inside MO, it should have a default setup already

With SkSE selected, simply hit the run button, and it will start

You use the gears icon to alter, the settings and here's a pic showing how you would set that value, if required.

The only thing it does, is start SkSE through Steam, but MO will simply start Steam if required, so it's not usually needed.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, I am trying to set my Memory Blocks working with SKSE, but the first block displays 256MB< and the reason why someone said adding -forcesteamloader- helps get the Memory Blocks work, where it set the first block to the value you set in skse.ini.
I also have no idea how to put -forcesteamloader-, but since Uhuru said we shouldn't and rely on MO, why my Memory Patch still not working?

Hey guys, I am trying to set my Memory Blocks working with SKSE, but the first block displays 256MB< and the reason why someone said adding -forcesteamloader- helps get the Memory Blocks work, where it set the first block to the value you set in skse.ini.

I also have no idea how to put -forcesteamloader-, but since Uhuru said we shouldn't and rely on MO, why my Memory Patch still not working?

Simple solution.. run one and only one... The fixes evolve, and change creating obsolescence that never gets updated.

There are a lot of stuff posted on the Nexus that may or may not be relevant.. If it is not broke leave it alone...

Redundancy in engineering is a good thing... in software it causes errors and instability.

Edited by Reynard131

Essential MO info

Mod Organizer Documentation

An updated guide, though I was partt of the MO support team, and MO hasn't updated since I left, I'm not currently modding Skyrim, mostof what I say is checked here, and using the STEP site in general, to make sure nothings draetcally changed

STEP Guide

A great modding guide for Skyrim, whether you follow it's mod selections exacyly, or just absorb all the great deneral advice that applies to all mods, this is my goto source for current knowledge.

Skyrim Script Extender - S.T.E.P. Project Wiki

I create an MO mod out of the SkSE data Folder, with the Skyrim folder files installed as normal, but without the Data Folder, and last time I checked the recommended SkSE ini settings were these

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
EnableDiagnostics=1
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256
[Debug]
WriteMiniDumps=1
[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

Only addition yo the STEP recommendations, is

This is for Hair mods, and not essential.

Crash fixes page has alternatives to SkSE settings, but as post above, and CF page state, don't use both.

Data/SKSE/SKSE.ini (not needed if UseOSAllocators=1 in CrashFixPlugin.ini):

• Set DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB:Memory to 768. If you are using a lot of mods or higher uGrid than 5 then set 1024. Helps with CTD during save load, especially if you can load the save after qasmoke. Max value is 1280. If you are using ENB you may get CTD on startup with higher value than 768 and ExpandSystemMemoryX64 true in enblocal.ini!
  • Set ScrapHeapSizeMB:Memory to 256. Game can't use more than 256 of this and setting higher serves no purpose.

I also recommend using Windows 7, if using the ENBoost feature, of using more than 4GB of sytem memory, is blocked from working.

Just so you know, I again am telling you the picture in my last post shows exactly where to put the Argument in the SkSE Modify Executable command within MO.

Here it is again. (click on pic thumbnail to see full size)

Additionally to do the same thing with a Desktop shortcut

No spaces in MO Path example

Target

D:\Managers\MO\Skyrim\ModOrganizer.exe D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe -ForceSteamLoader

Space in MO path example

"D:\Managers\Mod Organizer\Skyrim\ModOrganizer.exe" D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe -ForceSteamLoader

Important Point

What makes you think there's any problem though?

First block shown with what?

If you're looking at Memory Blocks Log, it reads Block one at 256 less than the ini setting used for it.

So for a setting of 512 (Default), MBL should give 256

If your setting is 768, or more, check this thread out, it appears as if encoding of the ini can mess things up

SKSE .ini Settings Not Working

If none of that helps, I urge you to go and ask on STEP.

All the best MO advice, is on that site, and it's the home of MO support.

• 1 month later...
dont know what version you guys using.. but i just downloaded skse and installed.. but i cant find the skse.ini, i managed to find a skse.ini inside the temp folder witch doesnt help me.. when my game starts it keeps saying i "skse memoryfix is not active...."

dont know what version you guys using.. but i just downloaded skse and installed.. but i cant find the skse.ini, i managed to find a skse.ini inside the temp folder witch doesnt help me.. when my game starts it keeps saying i "skse memoryfix is not active...."

You need to create it yourself, it doesn't come with SKSE. Here's a guide: https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/540740500921363665/

To answer your question...

You add " -forcesteamloader" (Including the space at the beginning, but minus the quotes!) to the end of whatever is in the "Target" field.

Example

Target: blah/blah/skyrim/skse_loader.exe -forcesteamloader

Everything above stated is true, but nobody actually answered the question asked.

To answer your question...

You add " -forcesteamloader" (Including the space at the beginning, but minus the quotes!) to the end of whatever is in the "Target" field.

Example

Target: blah/blah/skyrim/skse_loader.exe -forcesteamloader

Everything above stated is true, but nobody actually answered the question asked.

You didn't look very hard, Answered every point, and as asked for mod organizer.

Even providefd pics to help illustrate it, but the click on Thumbnail to see system is not working in quote, so this is now showing the full sixe pics instead

Just so you know, I again am telling you the picture in my last post shows exactly where to put the Argument in the SkSE Modify Executable command within MO.

Here it is again. (click on pic thumbnail to see full size)

post-5564776-0-85358400-1501268340.png

Additionally to do the same thing with a Desktop shortcut

post-5564776-0-65485300-1501267863.png

No spaces in MO Path example

Target

D:\Managers\MO\Skyrim\ModOrganizer.exe D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe -ForceSteamLoader

Space in MO path example

"D:\Managers\Mod Organizer\Skyrim\ModOrganizer.exe" D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe -ForceSteamLoader

SkSE.ini contents to create, also provided in my post.

I create an MO mod out of the SkSE data Folder, with the Skyrim folder files installed as normal, but without the Data Folder, and last time I checked the recommended SkSE ini settings were these

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
EnableDiagnostics=1
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256
[Debug]
WriteMiniDumps=1
[Display]

Only addition yo the STEP recommendations, is

This is for Hair mods, and not essential.

I did answer the question, even whilst I recommended not to do it that way, because in the end it's the users choice, I just offered my advice.

Pics supposed to be worth a thousand words, as this is 3rd time, the 1st pictures been posted in this thread, it's becoming an entire book of words.

• 2 months later...

Hello, Sentients!

I have a complex problem, and before letting loose my undead bulldozers to reinstall everything, maybe you could help me.

First and foremost I have Skyrim legally. See me on the link here, and drop me a message on Steam if you wanna be sure. :smile:

Legality proofed, let's see my predicament!

----------------------------------------------

I usually have two different install of Skyrim Legendary:

-the Steam version, which I use for a stable version of modpacks, it currently houses non-modorganizer version of the Journey modpack

-a cracked legendary Skyrim with ModOrganizer, which I use for developing packs

It has worked in the past good, but there were so many ctds and glitches that I ragedeleted all of them a year ago. :D

Now I've tried to put it back together.

I've set up ModOrganizer to use the cracked installation (D:/Games/Skyrim), paths are all right, except the %BASEDIR% tag, but when I click the [...] browse button, the right directory comes up.

My ModOrganizer is in D:/Games/ModOrganizer, Skyrim branch of it points to D:/Games/Skyrim/ModOrganizer, where it makes and manages all it's directories and files finely.

The problem is that ModOrganizer SKSE start seems to be using some of the the Steam version directories independent of the settings I've detaliled above, so SKSE can't find it's ini, and the saves go to myDocuments on C: without distinction, which is strange, because it starts up my experimental modpack, from MO mods directory and load order.

Which could be suffered, if the "DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768" warning wouldn't came up!

I even set the Steam version SKSE.ini up, but it still comes. :sad:

There is this too, for fear and despair...

---

So is there an ini, or other setting I've missed? I've read the ducking manual, links, and seen GP's tutorials on youtube.

Or do I need to back up my everything, uninstall both versions of Skyrim, and ModOrganizer, install steam version only (which I do not like with it's popups, and nonconform directories), put up ModOrganizer again for Steam version, and install the whole lot (skse, enbhack, full directory order) again?

Awaiting 4 your kind wisdom.

-----------------------

SOLVED!

I did all above, upgrading my swearword-collection. :D

I have the CrashFix mod which have a better memory-handling, overwriting the possibilities in SKSE.ini.

I just needed to set the first constant in it's ini:

UseOSAllocators=1

I am happy now, my pack called Rapture works!

Edited by Normal69