Ghosting Effect

xBloodTigerx

so i've been trying to find out how this works so i can implement it ingame for fallout 4.

this is the kind of texture i'm trying to get ghost <<

i would love to make some ghouls/probably most of my enemies like that, that'd be so scary!

anyways, a similar texture i found was the skybox in qasmoke. i am not sure if is possible to take that 'texture' .

if any of these exists in fallout 4 already then link them to me! thanks!

Edited by xBloodTigerx

The best way to go about this would be using alpha channels and such on your textures, Changing texture opacity and color then binding those new textures to the models you want to use them on and figure a way to activate those textures in the game via some type of command.

when i try to just change the alpha it just turns barely visible/invisible. i don't quite get how the texture repeats itself , for ex; i have some few dark areas on the transparent texture but it's just static

Well, idk if this is true for blender... In Maya, when I use an alpha channel, I then use a paint brush in the maya and go over things with black paint. This is a common technique for doing shadowing on static objects with BMP textures. Try looking up how to do those shadows on google/youtube. I think it would be the best way to get the type of texturing you're looking for.

You do not need to use any 3d software to render this.

I'm not sure about the blur effect, but the barely visible translucent ghost effect can be achieved simply using NifSkope and the Material Editor by Ousnius.

In NifSkope (2.0 Pre Alpha 6 is current), expand the BSTrishape (or BSSubIndexTrishape) and select your BSLightingShaderEffect. Right-click, Block, Remove Branch. Go to your root NiNode from here, and select Block, Insert. A little menu option that says Bethesda and some other options pops up. Select Bethesda, BSEffectShaderProperty. Note the block number given to the BSEffectShaderProperty. Go back to your Mesh BSTrishape, then hit the window at the bottom of the screen and scroll down to BS Properties. Expand that. Double-click to the right of the blue arrow and enter the number of your BSEffectShaderProperty.

Repeat those steps for a NiAlphaProperty. Use a blank string for the NiAlphaProperty. If you click on the Header tab, you can then double-click on Number of Strings and increase it by one number. Note what that number was before you changed it. Now Right-Click on the Strings entry, select Array, Update. Go back to the Block List tab, select your Alpha Property, and double-click on the right side of where it displays a little TXT image. Enter the number you had for Number of Strings before you changed it.

Now go to the BSEffectShaderProperty and select it. In the bottom window, where it says Name, right-click and select Edit String Index. Enter, starting from your Data Directory, a directory structure pointing to a BGEM (NOT NOT NOT a BGSM) file. Something like Materials\GhostEffect.BGEM would work.

That's it for NifSkope, and for anyone new reading this it sounds like a hell of a lot more work than it really is.

On to the Materials Editor.

The farthest right tab in the Materials Editor is what you want. Here you will use a Diffuse (_d.DDS), Normal (_n.DDS) and Glow (_G.DDS) map, as well as a gradient if you so choose. These things are largely irrelevant to this post, though.

For your ghost effect, a simple grayish color for the background color here should work.

The instructions for the Materials Editor portion is much less specific here, obviously, but you can reverse engineer something from something already in the game to figure it out. FWIW, the Holographic Synth Body in my mod iCurie works using this stuff if you want to borrow from that. Just, ya know, with textures to give it substance. There's a video in the Videos section of the page showing said body in-game (mute the sound, it's awful).

Take away the textures and you have the same effect you've requested above.

Play with it. Have fun. And good luck. :)

TYVM! i'm still kinda new to these stuff, i cant even retexture my own model in nifskope >< but the other tools i'm fine with. nifskope will take me a while.

i will learn from your instructions, thank you for the detailed answer