Recommended Load Order by Mod Categories?

drcolossus

Hi,

I saw someone's load order recommendation on some mod page but can't find it anymore so I was wondering what is everyone's recommended categorical mod load order? I'm using Mod Organizer and have been thinking how to optimize the load order of mods (both esp's and assets) according to their category.

For example I would put essential mods and gameplay-related mods higher on the load order (i.e. higher priority) and I've been thinking if it's generally a better idea to have texture/model replacers also on a higher priority.

Perhaps something like this (lower --> higher priority):

Patches

Cities & Locations

Player Homes

NPC-related mods

Companions

Armor/Clothes/Weapons/Items

Textures/Models

Environment (Weather, Light, etc.)

Animation Mods

Character Assets (Skin, hair, eyes, etc.)

Immersion Mods

Gameplay Mods

Quest Mods

Generated stuff (FNIS, LODs, etc.)

What do you think?

Edited by drcolossus

Is this what you saw?

#01: Your ESM Files;
#02: Bug-Fix type Mods;
#03: Game Structure and/or UI Mods:
#04: Character Appearance Mods (For NPCs and Self);
#05: Mods that Add and/or Change Locations; *
#06: Mods that Add and/or Change Items;
#07: Mods that Add NPCs;
#08: Texture Mods;
#09: Environmental Mods (things like Climates of Tamriel, Sounds of Skyrim, etc.);
#10: Mods with Gameplay Changes; Then,
#11: Reproccers, AV, and Bashed Patches.

My preferred load order is:
Skyrim
Update
Dawnguard
Hearthfires
Dragonborn
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch
[other .esms]
HighResTextures 1, 2, 3
Unofficial high res patch
[utility mods] (papyrus scripts, skse, uiextensions, stuff like that)
[other .esps] (order doesn't really matter. Let LOOT sort it.)
Brawlbug patch
[Textures] (things that make skyrim pretty)
[body Meshes/textures] (Things that make NPCS/player look better)
FNIS
[Animation mods]
XPMSE
Alternate Start
RS Patch
[anything loot sorts after it]

works great

Is this what you saw?

#01: Your ESM Files;
#02: Bug-Fix type Mods;
#03: Game Structure and/or UI Mods:
#04: Character Appearance Mods (For NPCs and Self);
#05: Mods that Add and/or Change Locations; *
#06: Mods that Add and/or Change Items;
#07: Mods that Add NPCs;
#08: Texture Mods;
#09: Environmental Mods (things like Climates of Tamriel, Sounds of Skyrim, etc.);
#10: Mods with Gameplay Changes; Then,
#11: Reproccers, AV, and Bashed Patches.

It could be but i can't remember. all I remember is that it was on some city-related mod page.

My preferred load order is:

Skyrim

Update

Dawnguard

Hearthfires

Dragonborn

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch

[other .esms]

HighResTextures 1, 2, 3

Unofficial high res patch

[utility mods] (papyrus scripts, skse, uiextensions, stuff like that)

[other .esps] (order doesn't really matter. Let LOOT sort it.)

Brawlbug patch

[Textures] (things that make skyrim pretty)

[body Meshes/textures] (Things that make NPCS/player look better)

FNIS

[Animation mods]

XPMSE

Alternate Start

RS Patch

[anything loot sorts after it]

works great

But that's really more of a mod order list, not so much per category. And it seems you're using very few mods. My mod order list is bursting over the 255 mod limit.

If I didn't mention the mod specifically in my list, then you likely don't need to put it in a specific order. Thus why I have sections for [other .esms]. You don't need to really worry about the order these are in if you run LOOT. Use it if you want. Just trying to help.

• 5 years later...

if you can get a straight answer on this instead of getting run around please let me know...LOOT is not the fix all and can actually cause problems but can be adverted by organizing your LO in the right way. i understand what your asking because im asking the same question myself.

• 2 months later...

What would actually be nice to have is a mod manager that is interpretive enough to place mod categories already within correct load order sequences - so when one is finished installing ALL their mods, they are then placed by the mod manager into a categorically correct sequence, so that one could look at that, and be able to organize their plugins to match, AND have confidence that the load order will run the mods correctly as well as the game itself running stable. All that would be needed by the person using this is for them to have an understanding of what overwrites what, patches go under their parent mod, etc, etc.

Now the real magic trick to pull from one's ass is to have someone actually read this who can create said mod manager, and then get it up onto Nexus.

But the reality is crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which fills up faster, because I doubt anyone cares enough about lesser experienced players enough to implement such an undertaking! I wish I did - I am a retired Marine with nothing but time on my hands, and I would dedicate my time to creating such a thing if I knew how! I am really surprised no one has come up with this already! MO2 is as close as it comes and it does NOT facilitate what I am talking about here - it does nothing for the inexperienced user who has no clue what a proper load order should look like - I know I don't! And MO2 has NEVER helped me figure it out! Maybe it's time that it's creator(s) Looked at this and thought "Hmmm".