If necromancy is legal in Cyrodiil...

MidbossVyers

Does that make Carahil and her cabal murderers or at the very least vigilantes (from what I understand, they just stormed the manor without informing the City Guard)? They would at least get charged for breaking and entering (which you don't, for entering a cave or ruined fort because no one "owns" those).

In Oblivion, necromancers practice in secret to avoid being discovered and killed. I'm fairly sure the Arch-mage commands a fair amount of authority in the Imperial City.

In Skyrim, it's pretty much fair game.

That difference, though broad, leads me to believe that necromancy is universally banned in Oblivion.

In the empire as a whole, Necromancy apparently was never banned. On the more local level, it is usually banned for practical reasons. After all, a ready supply of bodies is not usually available through legal channels. In Oblivion, with the Mages Guild's policy against Necromancy, it was effectively banned in Cyrodiil.

• 11 months later...

Although necromancy magic practice is legal, most necromancers, many necromancers get involved in illegal activities such as grave robbing and murder, or sometimes lose control of their minions which then wreak havoc. I n any case almost all the necromancers you encounter in the game are members of Manimarco's Order of the Black Worm, who are involved in an attack against the Empire's institutions and citizens, trying to kill just about anybody else they encounter, and doing so in coordination with the Mehrunes Dagon invasion, so they are all traitors at war with The Empire.

Also, anyplace the worship of the Nine Divines or Arkay in particular is strong, the religious authorities will be watching the necromancers like a hawk, ready to pounce on any infraction, because the practice of necromancy violates the laws/principles of Arkay.

Lorgren Benirus was experimenting on living slaves which would have made him a high priority target to bring to justice. By our modern society's standards, Carahil would probably be considered a vigilante. But Tamriel is probably closer to medieval Europe and the Mages Guild would have been like an informal militia. Besides, mages are probably better equipped to deal with a necromancer and a bunch of guards. :)

• 3 weeks later...

From what I gather Necromancy is still legal in Cyrodiil. I think NPCs in the Mages Guild specifically say this when you ask about rumors, something to the effect it's still legal but the Guild frowns upon it and refuses to do business with anyone who practices it.

Now grave-robbing IS illegal, and the punishment is the Death Penalty. This is specifically mentioned in the quest Unfriendly Competition when you kill Agarmir.

So if a Necromancer is caught robbing a grave they're screwed, but if they're caught experimenting on a dead body, or have a worm thrall as a butler, they'll probably just be shunned by the community. Then the Mages Guild will probably watch them specifically to catch them in the act of doing something really illegal. Like when a cop tails you in hopes it will make you nervous and cause you to run a red-light or a stop sign, I hate it when they do that.

Which is what probably happened to Lorgren Benirus. His diary entry says he needed more bodies for his experiments, so where do you think he got them? Either he had to murder someone or rob a grave, and when he did the Guild was there to bust him.

Although necromancy magic practice is legal, most necromancers, many necromancers get involved in illegal activities such as grave robbing and murder, or sometimes lose control of their minions which then wreak havoc. I n any case almost all the necromancers you encounter in the game are members of Manimarco's Order of the Black Worm, who are involved in an attack against the Empire's institutions and citizens, trying to kill just about anybody else they encounter, and doing so in coordination with the Mehrunes Dagon invasion, so they are all traitors at war with The Empire.

Also, anyplace the worship of the Nine Divines or Arkay in particular is strong, the religious authorities will be watching the necromancers like a hawk, ready to pounce on any infraction, because the practice of necromancy violates the laws/principles of Arkay.

Not once did Manimarco's Order attack civilians, their beef was with the Mages Guild only, not the Empire. Really the whole thing between the Mages Guild and the Order of the Worm was like the Westboro Baptist Church getting a stick up their butt because a university banned something they didn't like. (Did I just compare the Westboro Baptist Church to an evil satanic necromancer cult, yes...yes I did.)

I pretty much quit the Mages Guild questline after I get into the Arcane University. The rest of the story and rewards are kind of lame, sure Wizard's Fury is one of the best offensive spells, but I'm good with making a 30 point 3-way custom elemental damage spell.

And besides, the Mages Guild is suppose to fall anyway and split into The Synod and College of Whispers. One organization continues to frown on necromancy, the other embraces it, and BOTH are endorsed officially by the Empire.

Not once did Manimarco's Order attack civilians, their beef was with the Mages Guild only,

The various Necromancer NPCs have an aggression of 100, meaning they attack anyone for which they have less that a +95 disposition bonus, except when quests temporarily stop them from attacking the PC . That means everyone and every creature other than Necromancer faction, Necromancer Cult Faction, and Undead faction. If you wander by some Necromancer, inside or outside, he will attack you whether or not you are in the Mages Guild. He will attack your companions, your horses, any wandering NPCs, any Imperial Legionare, any City Guard, or Orc Adventurer, regardless of whether they are in the Mages Guild. Anyone who comes into detection range. Those coming into range are few, absent some mod that put them near necromancers or necromancers near them, but the necros are just waiting for the opportunity. For fun, get some to chase you into a town.