Red Triangle bug?

PoIariS

• 2 months later...

I am having this same problem with bears. I get red triangles instead of bears! This, of course, prevents me from doing the little quest where I need to get 10 bear pelts and is super annoying. I have looked at nearly every thread on this subject and done everything from verifying game files through Steam to uninstalling/reinstalling the entire game. I STILL get the red triangles. I am literally at my wit's end! I have even tried installing mods that overhaul creature meshes and/or textures and still no change. I feel like TES5EDIT cleaning my files did too much cleaning??? I am currently trying to reinstall EVERY mod that I'm using to see if that helps. If someone knows a DEFINITE fix to this, I'd sure appreciate it!

• 6 months later...

I am also running into this issue, except it appears to be affecting multiple animals besides bears. I've looked everywhere on google, and everything points to missing textures and/or meshes. I'm unsure how to replace them or make sure they're where they need to be.

Firstly, i don't know of any mods i have installed that even change animal textures/meshes. I have xpmse installed (not sure if that affects anything) along with some widespread texture changes for items/terrain in the game (2k HD Textures, SMIM, Realistic Water, etc). None of those mods list any changes to animals or beasts in the game.

For kicks and giggles though, i went ahead and deleted the skyrim textures.bsa and the meshes.bsa and then had Steam recover them. This had no affect, which leads me to believe it's some mod affecting something. Any ideas which large scale texture mods affect animals?

I also tried installing Bellyache's mod for animal textures but it made my game crash. I then attempted to install that texture pack through Automatic Variants and it stopped crashing my game, but it had no affect on the issue.

Please let me know what you think needs to be done to fix this. I'd rather not reinstall skyrim and all of my mods. That would take more time than it's worth.

Thanks guys.

I am having this same problem with bears. I get red triangles instead of bears! This, of course, prevents me from doing the little quest where I need to get 10 bear pelts and is super annoying. I have looked at nearly every thread on this subject and done everything from verifying game files through Steam to uninstalling/reinstalling the entire game. I STILL get the red triangles. I am literally at my wit's end! I have even tried installing mods that overhaul creature meshes and/or textures and still no change. I feel like TES5EDIT cleaning my files did too much cleaning??? I am currently trying to reinstall EVERY mod that I'm using to see if that helps. If someone knows a DEFINITE fix to this, I'd sure appreciate it!

if you have a PC, go into console and type "Help pelts" , find the ref # for Bear pelts, go "Player.additem XXXXXXX 10 and you can get past that quest, does not fix your issue though.

If you are on a PC, go to your version of the following file path: \Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\meshes\actors\bear\character assets\skeleton.nif If the nif is missing, run TesvEdit and load up all of your mods. Go to Skyrim.esm then drill down to Body Part Data. In there, look for and highlight BearBodyPartData.in the left pane. This will tell you what mod is overwriting your bear bodies and misdirecting the game on where to find the nif for the bears. You can then edit that mod (AFTER MAKING A BACKUP COPY) to point to the appropriate location.

If you discover a mod with an error, POLITELY advise the author so they can fix it for others.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

If you see a red triangle object that means the mod or the game can't find the mesh set to that object. Only way to fix this is to get the mesh. To find out what mesh you need drop the mod in the creation kit and track it down.
You can even do this with the default game. The mesh is shown from the objects base. What most likely happen is you installed a mod that is aimed at the wrong mesh. Or you removed parts of the mod that had the mesh or texture.

One way to fix this ... Use a program like BSABrowser and unpack the Skyrim bsa's. Find the mesh or texture you're missing by looking in the creation kit for it. The base of the object will show you the correct path and mesh.
Go to you unpacked folder get the mesh and create the same folder structure ...

Exp: Data\meshes\actors\bear\character assets\bear.nif
Data\meshes\actors\bear\character assets\skeleton.nif
Data\meshes\actors\bear\bearstatic.nif

If you were to create that folder structure with them files the bears would work fine. A file in the folder structure will always override the bsa.

Problem is there shouldn't be any problem ... and replacing theses file as stated is something you should never have to do. That said it comes down to a mod ... or a part of a mod removed.

Possibly just take a look at that location stated and see if there is a corrupt file. If you find no folder structure like that then the problem is in a bsa linked to a mod.
Or the mod just called it wrong.

You can also unpack the mod and track down the error that way. Fix it and repack the bsa then save the mod. Use that mod to replace the one installed.

99% of the time is comes from deleting things that were needed by a mod. Or a mod conflict that changed the assets needed from a mod called first.
The last mod to load sets what is defined.

Exp: Let's say I install a mod that makes the bears have a more detailed texture. Then I also install a mod that makes the bears larger. After playing for a bit I see the error and just remove the larger bears mod.
Well 1st off every save that had the 2nd installed mod are now junk and need to be cleaned or removed. If both mods had loose files them files for the 1st mod were over wrote when the 2nd mod was installed.
Now you have a custom mod (the 1st one) looking for meshes that are not there ...

This is kind of hard to fully explain if you don't create mods and don't really understand how this all works.

Edited by NexusComa