Heavy Traffic ×

What is the point of "friend requests" ?

Crimsomrider

Just curious as to what are the benefits of this option.

I see newly made accounts go on a friend request rampage and just add people to this list. I see people who I never even interacted with add me to their friends list.

Are there any particular benefits to having someone as a friend, except that they're all in one place as a list ?

Crimson, there's really no concrete benefit, the friend system is just a way to keep up with people you know or those you've interacted with in some way. Yes, there are folks who send out friend requests indiscriminately -- I've gotten a few of those myself -- but you always have the right of refusal. :)

Let's also not forget the special "Friend Activity" tab on the main Nexus page for your game. Having someone connected to you as a friend is an easy way to keep track of a member on the Nexus, not unlike the Track Author feature but also for non-authors I guess.

• 5 months later...

This was the most current question I could find regarding this topic. I haven't sent anyone a friend request nor have I received any. Yet, someone did add me to their friends list and, somehow, in my Nexus Mods profile, it states that I added them as a friend and they appear in my Forums profile friends list. So, it seems that some sort of "automatic approval" is happening. Is this coming from the Nexus Mods profile "Add Friend " button (which is inn the same place you can "Track Author")?

If I don't want this member as a friend, it seems my only recourse is to click on the friends button in my Nexus Mods profile and "Remove Friend".

I don't see a way in the "Edit your site preferences" to change this.

So, the bottom line seems to be that anyone can add themselves to your friends list and if you don't want them, then you have to remove them?

In order to set it so that you have to approve a friend request before it shows up on your profile you need to go to edit your profile from this side (the forum side) there's a box under the "profile settings" tab in the "friends" section. As for managing your friends once you've got them you can do it in your preferences as well under "ignore."

Edited by Oubliette

Thank you. It is a little confusing as to which factors are related between the two profiles.

So, theoretically, you could have a friend on Nexus Mods who is not a friend on Nexus Forums and vice versa?

Not that I'm aware of. It is possible to have a friend on Discord that's not on both Nexusmods and the forums but the forums and the mod site are intrinsically linked, if imperfectly at times.