Justiciar Execution Order: what is the activating event?

RokHere

Being attacked by (relative to you weaker) assissins is so much of a gaming clichè to cater for some "encounters" I actually didn't give much thought about this while playing.

Agreed. Totally, it happened countless times before in RPGs, especially historical RPGs rather than modern-age ones, that is has indeed become cliche. But then again, cliches can sometimes be reinvented or renovated with a bit of creativity and a twist, or at the very least, by executing them properly in a way that makes sense with the story. You just brought it into more light that this even isn't just a cliche, but it was also executed in a sloppy or lazy way, because it doesn't make perfect sense with the story or your actions in the game the way it is written currently.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Them attacking you in any other way doesn't make much sense either.

You don't have to go to sleep ever making that route basically null, and them stalking you through various ruins would be difficult becuase some random thing might kill the assassin ebfore you get to fight it.

This is a fine example of gameplay getting in the way of lore.

Being attacked by (relative to you weaker) assissins is so much of a gaming clichè to cater for some "encounters" I actually didn't give much thought about this while playing.

Agreed. Totally, it happened countless times before in RPGs, especially historical RPGs rather than modern-age ones, that is has indeed become cliche. But then again, cliches can sometimes be reinvented or renovated with a bit of creativity and a twist, or at the very least, by executing them properly in a way that makes sense with the story. You just brought it into more light that this even isn't just a cliche, but it was also executed in a sloppy or lazy way, because it doesn't make perfect sense with the story or your actions in the game the way it is written currently.

Personally I wouldn't mind getting attacked by secret shadowy groups if the fight didn't end in five seconds of me drawing my blade. I realize bethesda wants to give the player the experience of being the best in the world at a certain point. But the problem with being the best is that there's nothing left to challenge your skills on. So it would be a nice touch if the person sent to hunt you down was as scary and hardened as you were. Gives me an Ideal for a Mod though.

Personally I wouldn't mind getting attacked by secret shadowy groups if the fight didn't end in five seconds of me drawing my blade. I realize bethesda wants to give the player the experience of being the best in the world at a certain point. But the problem with being the best is that there's nothing left to challenge your skills on. So it would be a nice touch if the person sent to hunt you down was as scary and hardened as you were. Gives me an Ideal for a Mod though.

Are you saying this while playing on the hardest difficulty, though? Then again, regardless to exact level of difficulty, there is a strange imbalance of difficulty...in the same dungeon, some groups are all wimpy and die so fast, while some groups with one particular non-boss mob seem way too difficult compared. This was a major problem in The Witcher 2, for example, and I see it happening in Skyrim too...not sure if it was / will be patched, though, or ever mentioned or addressed.

I have a feeling it's after the infiltration of the Thalmor embassy....although I also had an situation where I freed a fellow nord along a road, killed the Thalmor taking him, and then stripped their bodies of their clothes/armour and dumped them over a waterfall...so that could have annoyed them too...

For my experience... On my first playthrough, I killed these people every time I saw their roving squads and racked up a hell of a body count. Never saw this execution order. My second/current playthrough, I think I may have killed a single squad and later found this note.

Are you saying this while playing on the hardest difficulty, though? Then again, regardless to exact level of difficulty, there is a strange imbalance of difficulty...in the same dungeon, some groups are all wimpy and die so fast, while some groups with one particular non-boss mob seem way too difficult compared. This was a major problem in The Witcher 2, for example, and I see it happening in Skyrim too...not sure if it was / will be patched, though, or ever mentioned or addressed.

Master difficulty. killed an entire group of guards by myself ((round abouts 20)) and the fact that i'm this strong legitimately seems kind of sad.

I guess its the event where you are uncovered as dragonborn (killing the dragon at whiterun)

The Thalmor want the dragonborn be dead before he comes up with anything, and supposedly also contract the Brotherhood.

I wonder what will the thalmor's expression be like when they contacted the DB, only to find that the listener is the dragonborn...

That way, Listener + Dragon born = double problem

The only way to get the Thalmor and the Dark brotherhood after you is to complete the main quest up until the point where you slay the first dragon and the greybeards call for you

Based on my own experience I don't see how this can be the case. My character has never pursued the Main Quest short of speaking to a couple of folk in Riverwood and I've just been attacked by a Thalmor group for the first time after nearly 200 hours of gameplay (my Breton is level 47, well into the Thieves Guild quest line and part way into both the College of Winterhold and Dark Brotherhood quests, having spent most of the early part of the game concentrating on exploring and performing tasks for the common folk). I suspect that there might well be multiple triggers for this event, but the only one I can see from recent events is that Ancano, an Altmer at the College of Winterhold, has been taking an interest in my activities as I perform tasks there.